Has anyone played with ECU mapping?

CDNINSW

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Just curious if anyone has looked into re-mapping ECU. Is it worth the effort on the CX-5?

Hello There...

I spent a lot of time developing a tune for my 2007 CX7, and the results were awesome. In the end, I settled on software from a company called Versatune. I "believe" they already have readouts from the Skyactiv engines.

It maybe a good idea to contact the guys from Versatune.

Tuning makes alot of sense on an FI engine. Without FI to play with, you'll have to rely on minor timing adjustments, or if you have some supporting "breathing" bolt ons, fueling as well.
I don't see much gain to be had out of a little 2.0l NA i-4. Not to mention, there's currently zero options for a true tuning solution.

ECU tuning is more than just fiddling a few tables to gain power.

A normally aspirated motor is likely to achieve less of a gain than a forced induction motor. Pretty much obvious. However, it must be noted that apart from altering (perhaps) ignition tables to add a little more zip and economy, you can also play with throttle tables to alter the way power is delivered. This in itself can completely alter the feel of the car.

I've been tuning my six for over 2yrs now and i find it fun. I've learned a lot and made a huge difference in its overall performance. I would be all about tuning my CX-5 if it were possible. I'd bet some advance in timing on 93oct would give a nice bump in power. Maybe.

I doubt any company will develop any sort of tunable engine management unit for the 5. From what I've gathered from other tuners who have some inside info on the sky activ engines is that they are very well tuned from the factory and have very sophisticated ecu's. Wouldn't stop me from running some datalogs and doing some testing though.

Something may be developed for the 3, and you may just need to piggyback off that...

Access to the throttle scales, open loop trigger, fuel/timing tables would be fun...

Noticeable benefits from tuning with an NA SkyActiv-G engine? Good luck.

If you had the SkyActiv-Diesel, then that would be a different story...

like 175ps and 420mn of torque instead of 150ps and 380nm. Well the maz6 has both tunes of diesel engine in 2wd.

A number of UK tuners have been remapping the Skyactiv diesels for a while now. Evolution states the 175ps model can be safely remapped to 205bhp and 480NM.

A number of UK tuners have been remapping the Skyactiv diesels for a while now. Evolution states the 175ps model can be safely remapped to 205bhp and 480NM.

Easy to do on a forced induction engine. Mazda chose the maximum boost pressure for reliability and longevity. While it's easy to raise this parameter via software, it will void your warranty if the extra boost causes bearing/engine failure.

There is no free lunch.

Modern automobiles come with a ballpark tune that's very conservative. This makes it useable in many climates all around the world. Generally speaking there's room for optimization in most situations.

If a tune-able engine management system became available from a reputable company i would definitely buy one. But that's probably never gonna happen for the CX-5.

Naturally aspirated cars, like forced induction vehicles, typically run very rich as rpms increase during wide open throttle as well as very modest timing advance all during open loop commanding. Improvements can be had here. I had a Lancer back in 2001 that i had tune-able engine management for and that was exactly what we did. I ran 93 octane fuel, leaned out the afr's and added timing until we seen EGT's increase then backed off a tad. It made a huge difference. Acceleration was much stronger than before and highway passing power was greatly improved. For a little lancer with just bolt-ons that little guy could move. It even kept up with a friends V-6 eclipse, much to his surprise. I ran that car for a few years like that and never had a problem. In fact, its still running.

I'm aware this is not an accurate comparison as new cars ecu logic is much more complex these days.

Back