Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
After 8000miles I removed my intake today for a couple of reasons:
1. Moving back to Cali, and may need an emissions test.
2. May be towing a trailer and low end torue is more important than high.

My mpg's went back up about 2, however high speed passing may have suffered a tad. It should be noted (specifically now that it is warmer outside here in TX) that usually after prolonged driving that extra high rpm responsiveness seems to wane. My engine bay should be less dirty since the stock airbox is back in the inlet (The intake was very clean on the inside though). I have ordered a KNN filter, and will not be reinstalling the C/S. While it provided great sound, esp with the C/S exhaust, it is not a big improvment on the 2.0L compared to the 2.5L. Also, the inside of mine has scorch marks near the motor side, and around the tube that goes into the intake near the motor. Probably from redline shifting but not present on my stock intake (granted, less airflow). The car still sounds great with the C/S exhaust only and based on cruise, my mpg seems to be higher than when it was just stock. Maybe when my motor is out of warranty (if I even keep it that long depending on the availability/price of the diesel) and I look into forced induction I'll consider a short ram but for now, I won't use it on this motor. A 10 HP/Torque gain for the 2.5 may be worth it, and maybe if you live in a place with cooler temps but for my 2.0 in TX, and CA no.

Last edited:
Yea, I'll sell it, it never threw any lights or anything, and I can't tell if that scorch was from an isolated incident, or what. I also have the Shroud that goes over it. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Definitely not scortch marks. Not resulting from your engine anyway. If you have anything in your intake capable of creating scorth marks, you have a serious problem. lulz!

I would wager, if it wasn't there when you received the intake from CS, it is condensed oil vapor which was passed back through the intake tract from the valve cover vent. It looks like the residue is all down stream of that orifice in the photo, which I assume is the VCC port.

Definitely not scortch marks. Not resulting from your engine anyway. If you have anything in your intake capable of creating scorth marks, you have a serious problem. lulz!

I would wager, if it wasn't there when you received the intake from CS, it is condensed oil vapor which was passed back through the intake tract from the valve cover vent. It looks like the residue is all down stream of that orifice in the photo, which I assume is the VCC port.

I agree, maybe just giving it a good wipe down will clean it out. I've got one currently sitting on mine. Haven't had an issue yet with it.

Yep, that is the cause. Typically see this more on cars with higher performance when you run them on a race track.

After 8000miles I removed my intake today for a couple of reasons:
1. Moving back to Cali, and may need an emissions test.
2. May be towing a trailer and low end torue is more important than high.

My mpg's went back up about 2, however high speed passing may have suffered a tad.

The fact that the short ram intake caused you to lose not only 2 MPG's but also produced less torque at typical driving rpm's indicates your engine wasn't running as well.

It's not surprising that this manifested itself with oil blowback in the intake.

I am running larger wheels as well which I overlooked when I posted, still my mpg did not improve. C/S is working on new maf set-up, and they offered me a refund or hold on to it while they work on it. I am happy with my other C/S product; the exhaust, and they seem to treat customers well so I don't mind holding onto it.

C/S is working on a new maf set-up, and they offered me a refund or hold on to it while they work on it. I am happy with my other C/S product; the exhaust, and they seem to treat customers well so I don't mind holding onto it.

Can you update the thread if/when you hear back from them on this? It would be interesting to see how they improved their product.

If it is anything like they have done in the past, the revision will include an air straightener and/or a slightly different MAF housing diameter.

Can you update the thread if/when you hear back from them on this? It would be interesting to see how they improved their product.

I asked CorkSport about this and this was their reply:

"CorkSport- Not sure where you are hearing that, the 2.0 intake is good to go."

I asked CorkSport about this and this was their reply:

"CorkSport- Not sure where you are hearing that, the 2.0 intake is good to go."

If they admitted they were redesigning it to fix running issues of CX-5 customers then wouldn't they be obligated to replace all the intakes they already sold?

Maybe they decided it wasn't worth it.

Well I just got an E-mail today that they are sending me a redesigned maf. I'll post if it's an improvement over the current or not.

Are there any other companies that are reputable that make a decent intake for the 2.5l cx5 without any of these issues?

Are there any other companies that are reputable that make a decent intake for the 2.5l cx5 without any of these issues?

This post is from April and the maf diameter has been tweaked.

I just put my stock tires back on because I am getting one of my wheels straightened. Mpg is about same as stock, sound amplified, rev quicker.

Last edited:
Back