Flat Battery: Can you charge it?

Sassimac

:
CX-5 Diesel
Hello All...

Now my CX5 has the i-stop function, so it has a BIG battery. And sadly, after being ill for the last week and not driving it, it is flat.

My question is, can I hook up a normal battery charger to it, or do I have to somehow get the car to the Dealer?

Yes you can charge it. You have to use a car specific battery charger which can range from something like 10-20 amps. The higher the amps, the faster it will charge the battery.

To find out how long to charge the battery, you will need to find out the capacity of it. I am unsure as to how big the capacity of your CX-5's i-stop battery is (we do not have i-stop in the states). Chances are it probably won't be too much more than a 120 min reserve capacity. Using a volt meter, test the battery. If it is around 12.5v, it is around 50% charge. At that with a 10amp charger, it will take around four hours to charge a 120min reserve capacity battery. So with that said, use this info as a basis.

... Or just go to your dealer and have them take care of it.

Or just jump it and drive for a while and the alternator will charge it up.

It can probably handle it but I always remember the guy that rebuilt alternators for the trucks and equipment at a company I used to work for saying "Alternators are for maintaining batteries, not charging them". That is a lot of load to put on the system by having it run the car and try to recharge a dead battery at the same time.

I've also heard that it is better for the battery, if you have the time, to set the charger on a lower output and slow charge it.

I would be concerned about why the battery died. One week of non-use should not cause a dead battery on a relatively new car battery.

Or just jump it and drive for a while and the alternator will charge it up.

With i-stop, I wonder. Unless it measures the voltage of the battery and disengages i-stop until the battery is up to par in charge.

I too wonder why the battery lost the charge in only a week. My CX7 Mazda has sat for over 4 weeks and started right up. I also would not do a fast charging rate but, use a standard charger and let it go to a tapered charge of ~ 1 amp. Ed

When my istop switches on, it restarts the engine itself after about 15 seconds, seems hardly worthwhile!

Hello All...

To follow up on this thread....

I took the car to the Dealer for the 1000km 1st service and to check the battery. They kept the car overnight as they had to charge and test the battery. That's OK. When I picked the CX5 up this morning I was told the battery had failed the Mazda tests, and would be replaced. I just have to wait now for one to turn up.

Let's hope that's soon. :)

Hello All...

Another follow up.

Mazda fitted a new battery yesterday. Within a few kilometres, the car threw an i-stop fault. So, I returned to the Dealer. They said that it will clear after driving around for a bit. Well, it didn't.

I took the car back. It turns out that Mazda had told the Dealer to replace the battery with one that was "recommended." Not a genuine Mazda battery specifically for cars with i-stop. The car had spat the dummy with this "recommended" battery and threw a fault. A fault that could not be cleared.

So, now they have fitted a battery from a CX5 for the time being while a new genuine battery is ordered.

Fun times..!!! :)

Good report, not impressed with dealer.

Btw- What country?

Good report, not impressed with dealer.

Btw- What country?
It sounds like the problem in this case was not the dealer but the Mazda Service Rep who instructed the dealer to use a battery model that was not verified to work with iStop. The dealer was just following instructions.

It sounds like the problem in this case was not the dealer but the Mazda Service Rep who instructed the dealer to use a battery model that was not verified to work with iStop. The dealer was just following instructions.

Possibly, even if an experienced/educated/knowledgeable dealer should know better and push back when given questionable instructions by rep.

Hello All...

I am quite happy with my Dealer. Seriously, I can't fault them.

They performed the tasks they needed to verify the original battery was faulty as per their processes. I fully understand that having worked in a Customer Service Technical environment. And with the original Mazda batteries on back order, I guess Head Office told them to use a particular aftermarket battery. I did check it, and it was now a fully sealed battery as opposed to a non sealed battery. It was marked as suitable for hybrids.

What interests me is how the PCM (or relevant module) makes decisions on battery performance. I do know that there is a current sensor on the negative terminal, so the car is able to judge current flow.

Anyway, the Service Manager (SM) was happy to sit down with me and explain what had happened. The new (non Mazda) battery was not compatible with the i-stop function, and therefore threw a fault. The SM mentioned that he will raise a fault report with Head Office outlining the incompatibility of the battery. I just now have to wait for a genuine Mazda unit.

I am in the Land of OZ. :)

Sassimac - Thanks for report, sounds like your Service Manager is really spending the time and following through. Sadly faulty batteries in new cars do happen. I hope you get your new battery soon.

Back