Valet parking with keyless fob?

dshogman

:
2016 CX5 GT FWD
Does anyone know how to leave the car with a parking attendant to park? I don't do it often but I'm thinking that next week I'm going to get some tinting done and he'll take the car around back to his shop. Do I have to drive it everywhere with the fob in my pocket or do I just give him the fob? Him I'm not too concerned about but a parking attendant I would be - definitely.
Thanks.

You can start the car, and leave the car with the fob on you, the guy can drive it, but once he turns the car off he won't be able to turn the car back on to drive it back to you.
So yes, you need to give him the fob. No different than having physical keys to start a car, the person needs the key to start the car. 0_O

What difference would it be if we had one? The trunk is accessible through the cabin and the glove box doesn't lock.

I know...there are a lot of annoying cost saving measures on this car.
I agree there are some annoying cut corners on the car--lack of interior storage bins for one-but I can't say I miss the lock on the glove box. It's kind of like the lock on a suitcase. Couldn't take anyone who really wants to get in more than about 20 seconds to bust open a plastic glove box door!

In most instances the damage done by someone prying their way into the glove box is going to cost more than what you'd have in there.

However, in the valet instance that this thread is about, you would be able to tell that the valet or other person you gave the car to had forced their way in. A glove box lock is a classic form of keeping the honest people honest (or at least knowing when there were dishonest).

Before you turn the car over you could simply toss all your stuff you don't want someone rifling through into the glove box, lock it and eliminate the quick easy temptation for all involved of things like grabbing that camera out of the center console.

So, while I haven't missed having a lock I can see where in instances where you turn the car over to people more often it could be handy. In some people's lives there are a lot of instances when you trust someone with your car but preferably not free access to all that is in it. And having to go through everything each time you get it back to make sure nothing is missing isn't always convenient.

Other cars namely high end sports cars also limit the rpm when using the valet key. This prevents them from racing your car when your not looking. This however is not an issue with the cx5 lol.

Oh, that's right - no lock on the glove box ...aack! We didn't realize that until we brought home our grand chexy5 yesterday.

A locking Glove box (our RAV4 has one), or a locking under the seat box(our Plymouth Voyager Minivan had one), is usually the reason for the Valet key. Since our Chexxies don't have a secure locked box - there's no need for a key, and no secure location in the car the hide important information/data/valuable.

I'll have to check for areas that might be used to hide items - for example, we like to keep our registration/insurance cards in the locked glove box (since both my husband and my self drive our cars - a 2001 Rav 4 and now the 2014 cx5).

Anyone know of any side compartment along the sides of the cargo area (the Rav 4 has multiple - I keep cleaning supplies etc in one, bunnies in another, and rope, hazard signs in yet another - but these take out part of the side cargo main area making it smaller than the Chexy.

Back