Noticed the gear doesn't up shift immediately when I take my foot of the gas pedal...

:
2014 GT AWD / Tech / Skyblue
Hello all,

So I've had the cx-5 for a 1.5 months now. The mpg hasn't gotten any better. The last time I filled up it was 19.9 mpg. Believe me, I've been taking easy on it and my wife also drives very slow. Yes, it does drive in local traffic half of the time but I've seen people posting even with local they are getting much better mpg than me. With that being said, I noticed a few weird things recently. It's not "too consistent" but I have noticed it happening. Keep in mind, I had multiple manual transmission cars in the past so I know all about rpm, when it shifts yadda yadda. Today, driving home, I was about to exit the highway, it was going at about 55 mph and the rpm was at 3,000 rpm (so I guess it's probably on 4 or 5th gear). I let go of my foot from the gas pedal COMPLETELY so it can coast a bit before I brake and exit but for a good "I would say 2 or 3 seconds" the rpm was at 3,000 rpm. For ANY AUTOMATIC, it should of up shifted to 5th or 6th so it dropped it back to 2,000 rpm or so to save gas. Other than today, I've noticed in the past too that when I get my foot of the gas, the RPM hangs for a bit before it up shifts. Now, if it does this often, this may explain "one of the reason" why I use more gas than others even when I've been trying to break it in and driving like a grandma.

Is that how the automatic is? Or it's a bit unusual that I noticed the rpm hangs around before it up shifts? Perhaps cx-5 automatic has rev-matching???

The last few days I've been going in and out of highway and the avg mpg has been pretty much stuck at 21+ no matter how I drive (fast or slow).

Thanks...

Last edited:
My car stays in gear after I floor it, WOT. I kinda like it bc it thinks I might still need the lower gear power & doesn't upshift, like it does in a manual. Other than WOT, transmission is pretty tame & gets to the hugest gear ASAP.

Do you drive in a lot of stop & go traffic? Are you getting the mpg from the screen on the dash or figuring it out from dividing the miles driven by the gallons you filled up when you get gas. The car's mpg is not as accurate as dividing the actual miles driven by the gallons you used.

I've been doing my own calculation but it's usually within a mile or so from the screen so the screen is pretty accurate. Half of the time is local traffic but not the horrible stop and go. The other half is just normal highway speed with no traffic.

But my cx-5 doesn't get to the highest gear ASAP when I let go of the gas pedal. Sometimes it stays on the rpm. That's the weird thing.

<20mpg is pretty bad. It all depends on how the car is driven. If its a lot of accerlating & braking, the mpg will be bad. Also many short trips & cold air temperatures won't help either. Did you check your tire pressure?

Not sure what your driving style is. The shift points obviously adapt to different driving styles and will hold gears after aggressive throttling. It also rev matches up and downshifts in both auto and manual modes.

Only suggestion is to take another CX-5 for a test drive and see if it does the same with the SAME driving style.

<20mpg is pretty bad. It all depends on how the car is driven. If its a lot of accerlating & braking, the mpg will be bad. Also many short trips & cold air temperatures won't help either. Did you check your tire pressure?

Tire pressure is fine. In the morning, it's two short trips. First trip is about 2 miles (about 5 minutes local) then another 7 miles (also local). The trip back home is all highway and no traffic. That's usually how the weekdays are. Weekends are usually no traffic and mostly highway but the avg mpg still doesn't really creep up.

Not sure what your driving style is. The shift points obviously adapt to different driving styles and will hold gears after aggressive throttling. It also rev matches up and downshifts in both auto and manual modes.

Only suggestion is to take another CX-5 for a test drive and see if it does the same with the SAME driving style.

I tend to drive aggressive with cars but have not done so on the cx-5. Although I like to gas it around turns etc but that shouldn't drop my mpg by much. I specifically have been driving much slower than usual just to see how far I can take the mpg. I believe you get 30 mpg. I really don't see how that is even possible. The reason is one time I filled up the car and started driving home on highway conservatively with rpm around 2,000 rpm or 2,500 rpm (absolutely no traffic and when I got home from highway it was maybe a 23 or 24 mpg). Even when wife drives it a few days by herself, the mpg is about the same and she drives very slow. I did manage to pull a 27+ on an all highway trip to Boston so it is possible to get better mpg.

I think I am getting close to the point that, I should just go back to my aggressively way of driving instead of pampering it. If it's not gonna even get me close to 25 then I mind as well just live with 20. At least I will have fun and drive the way I wanted to.

Does driving in very low rpm say under 2,000 rpm better or in 2,500+ rpm? The reason I am asking is because when its under 2,000 rpm and you gas it, the car is struggling to get up to speed while at 2,500+ it's alot more smoother. So when you put stress on the engine to get it up to speed from very low rpm, does that actually hurt the mpg? Versus staying at a more sweet spot 2,500 rpm where the car can pick up and go when you gas?

The least amount in combination of engine load and rpm will yield better MPG period. I still say go test drive another CX-5 and pay close attention to the avg mpg (obviously reset prior), RPM's, and gear selection by the transmission. I'm sure your dealership wouldn't mind handing over the keys for 30 minutes rather than have service spend at least an hour on it with you trying to diagnose a problem which most likely doesn't exist.

For me to average the MPG I do with my 2.0L AWD CX-5, I have to pay very close attention to throttle inputs, speed, coasting, and predict traffic patterns a few cars ahead at all times. Had I not "hyper-mileage" the way I do and drove like the rest of the people on the roads of metro NY and LI, I wouldn't doubt my average would be around 27-28mpg AT MOST.

By the way, your first trip of only 2 miles local will be VERY hard to reach over 22mpg even going piss slow, especially when ambient outside temps are below 50*f during a cold start. The engine runs extremely rich even for a mile or two after the "cold" blue coolant light turns off. It takes at least 5-8 miles of constant driving before the engine really "warms up". So assuming the car sits after the two mile trip before it reaches optimal operating temp, it has to start cold again and run rich for the second trip as well.

Last edited:
Hello all,

So I've had the cx-5 for a 1.5 months now. The mpg hasn't gotten any better. The last time I filled up it was 19.9 mpg. Believe me, I've been taking easy on it and my wife also drives very slow. Yes, it does drive in local traffic half of the time but I've seen people posting even with local they are getting much better mpg than me. With that being said, I noticed a few weird things recently. It's not "too consistent" but I have noticed it happening. Keep in mind, I had multiple manual transmission cars in the past so I know all about rpm, when it shifts yadda yadda. Today, driving home, I was about to exit the highway, it was going at about 55 mph and the rpm was at 3,000 rpm (so I guess it's probably on 4 or 5th gear). I let go of my foot from the gas pedal COMPLETELY so it can coast a bit before I brake and exit but for a good "I would say 2 or 3 seconds" the rpm was at 3,000 rpm. For ANY AUTOMATIC, it should of up shifted to 5th or 6th so it dropped it back to 2,000 rpm or so to save gas. Other than today, I've noticed in the past too that when I get my foot of the gas, the RPM hangs for a bit before it up shifts. Now, if it does this often, this may explain "one of the reason" why I use more gas than others even when I've been trying to break it in and driving like a grandma.

Is that how the automatic is? Or it's a bit unusual that I noticed the rpm hangs around before it up shifts? Perhaps cx-5 automatic has rev-matching???

The last few days I've been going in and out of highway and the avg mpg has been pretty much stuck at 21+ no matter how I drive (fast or slow).

Thanks...

I may be confused in my interpretation of your experience but I will add my .02. Automatic transmission cars do not up shift when you let off the gas. They will coast in the same gear and gradually down shift as your speed slows.

Perhaps this has been covered previously, but wouldn't an ECU reset from pulling the battery cable likely re-set the shift points in the transmission? I have to think that something is incorrect, because even with aggressive driving I've never gotten lower than 27MPG, and typically I am around 28.5-29.5. You can see my averages below. Granted, I do not have an AWD, but it shouldn't make that much difference.

Hello all,

Thanks...

Engine breaking. Injectors are putting no gas in the engine while this is happening.

I may be confused in my interpretation of your experience but I will add my .02. Automatic transmission cars do not up shift when you let off the gas. They will coast in the same gear and gradually down shift as your speed slows.

Do you know how to drive manual transmission? If your answer is no then I forgive your answer.

Now if you saying I am in the "manualmatic" mode then yes, it does not up shift but I drive in D because it's an automatic.

The least amount in combination of engine load and rpm will yield better MPG period. I still say go test drive another CX-5 and pay close attention to the avg mpg (obviously reset prior), RPM's, and gear selection by the transmission. I'm sure your dealership wouldn't mind handing over the keys for 30 minutes rather than have service spend at least an hour on it with you trying to diagnose a problem which most likely doesn't exist.

For me to average the MPG I do with my 2.0L AWD CX-5, I have to pay very close attention to throttle inputs, speed, coasting, and predict traffic patterns a few cars ahead at all times. Had I not "hyper-mileage" the way I do and drove like the rest of the people on the roads of metro NY and LI, I wouldn't doubt my average would be around 27-28mpg AT MOST.

By the way, your first trip of only 2 miles local will be VERY hard to reach over 22mpg even going piss slow, especially when ambient outside temps are below 50*f during a cold start. The engine runs extremely rich even for a mile or two after the "cold" blue coolant light turns off. It takes at least 5-8 miles of constant driving before the engine really "warms up". So assuming the car sits after the two mile trip before it reaches optimal operating temp, it has to start cold again and run rich for the second trip as well.

So the lower the rpm the best the gas right? Yeah, I think the local trips in the morning may be part of it too but 20 mpg?

Perhaps this has been covered previously, but wouldn't an ECU reset from pulling the battery cable likely re-set the shift points in the transmission? I have to think that something is incorrect, because even with aggressive driving I've never gotten lower than 27MPG, and typically I am around 28.5-29.5. You can see my averages below. Granted, I do not have an AWD, but it shouldn't make that much difference.

Hmmm....that's a thought too.

Driving a non turbo petrol at 2K revs, seems low to me, far better to drive a petrol engine closer to were the max torque is achieved.

I only drive a manual, but I certainly wouldn't expect a modern auto to shift up when lifting off the throttle, more likely I would want it to shift down.
Do you know if the car has a sensor to detect incline, this could determine whether it shifts up or down. The more expensive autos to what I've read do employ engine braking.

Given the short trips with a petrol auto, your economy is never going to be good.

Driving a non turbo petrol at 2K revs, seems low to me, far better to drive a petrol engine closer to were the max torque is achieved.

I only drive a manual, but I certainly wouldn't expect a modern auto to shift up when lifting off the throttle, more likely I would want it to shift down.
Do you know if the car has a sensor to detect incline, this could determine whether it shifts up or down. The more expensive autos to what I've read do employ engine braking.

Given the short trips with a petrol auto, your economy is never going to be good.

Just think about at a green light. You pedal to metal. It's on first gear and let's say you stop 6,000 rpm. Let go of gas, it has to upshift. If it doesn't it would stay on 1st gear and rpm would be high and engine would be roaring. Automatics do not do that.

Maybe you haven't driven an automatic before? Let's say you are on 3rd gear coasting on local streets at 3,000 rpm at 35 mph. If you let go of gas and if you think computer downshifts then you would end up in 2nd gear and probably 4,000 rpm. Then the sudden rev, the noise, the extra rpm spinning, the wasted gas. Then the cx-5 would end up with 10 mpg. LOL

Quite correct I know little about auto, only driven four auto cars.
The last two were last year a Volvo XC60 D5, and a BMW X3, both changed as you would expect.

Nothing was mentioned about the revs earlier, unless I missed the post?

Obviously it wouldn't be economical to over rev, but neither would it be economical to under rev.

Just think about at a green light. You pedal to metal. It's on first gear and let's say you stop 6,000 rpm. Let go of gas, it has to upshift. If it doesn't it would stay on 1st gear and rpm would be high and engine would be roaring. Automatics do not do that.

Maybe you haven't driven an automatic before? Let's say you are on 3rd gear coasting on local streets at 3,000 rpm at 35 mph. If you let go of gas and if you think computer downshifts then you would end up in 2nd gear and probably 4,000 rpm. Then the sudden rev, the noise, the extra rpm spinning, the wasted gas. Then the cx-5 would end up with 10 mpg. LOL

I try not to have my CX-5 shift above 2000 RPM in both automatic mode and manual. The amount of low-end USABLE torque of the SkyA-G 2.0 engine is substantially higher than most engines of the same displacement (even those with DI also). That is the point of design, to yield usable power at a low RPM while remaining as efficient as possible. Using the general SkyA-G engineering of high dynamic compression ratio, 4-2-1 header, etc. So, no it is not safe to say that the SkyA-G should be revved at least 2,000 to get optimal efficiency.

Mike, yes keep the load and the RPM's as low as possible. That is the foundation of better gas mileage. It is impossible to "under-rev" the AT CX-5 even in manual, since it will downshift automatically at around 1200 RPM with or without load in manual mode. For the SkyA-Diesel on the other hand, it has a higher range of efficiency RPM's, so it will be easier to output better gas mileage without paying as much attention to RPM's and load. Look into "BSFC Maps" if interested.

The SkyActiv-Drive transmission does adapt to driving style and hold gears longer, especially if it senses heavy braking, throttle, and yaw/pitch movements. It obviously thinks the driver wants to "drive sporty", hence it will hold gears longer, or rev-match downshift earlier to keep the RPM's up for engine braking and power response.

Like I said before, I think the (very) short trips have a substantial impact on your poor fuel economy. I don't want to call you out on your driving habits just yet, hence the reason it's probably best for you to go test drive another CX-5 and see if the results in engine/drivetrain behavior and gas mileage is similar to your own CX-5.

Last edited:
Back