First Service at 1000km: Change the oil?

Sassimac

:
CX-5 Diesel
Hello All...

I have my first 1000km service coming up, and wonder if I should get the Dealer to change the oil and filter.

Thoughts...?????

Is there a recomended 1000km service? 1000 KM = only 620 miles. In any case, letting the dealer do the first several oil changes is not a bad idea in my opinion. Ed

Just had mine in for dealer's complimentary 1000 mile check up and asked if they recommend changing the oil early. They said that it's not necessary and the explanation is that they are using synthetic oil and there's no problem waiting until 5000 miles on the odo for the first change. Of course, if anyone feels that they can't live without changing their oil early, no one is going to prevent you from doing just that. FWIW, BMW recommends changing their synthetic oil @ 15K mile increments but personally, I didn't follow that schedule.

Schedule 1 at 7500 miles/Schedule 2 at 5000 miles with recommended synthetic oil.

I always change oil and filter at 5000km intervals. Makes me feel a bit happier.

My reason for doing a change at the first complimentary service is to ensure any rubbish left over from building and assembling the motor is removed.

It will take me at least a year to put on 5000 miles at the rate I am going so do you think I should wait that long?

Hello All...

I have my first 1000km service coming up, and wonder if I should get the Dealer to change the oil and filter.

Thoughts...?????
There is no such thing as a scheduled "1000km service" on a CX-5. Even the "severe service" schedule doesn't contemplate oil change before 5000km. I would not do it sooner without very unusual circumstances.

It will take me at least a year to put on 5000 miles at the rate I am going so do you think I should wait that long?
No.Do it after 6 months unless your CX-5 is operated under severe conditions (for example, mostly very short trips with a cold engine). In that case the service interval is as short as three months.

^ That would be me. It will be 3 months next week since my purchase and I have 900 miles on the car. Of course in SW Florida the engine is warm after a few blocks of driving. I made a big trip today and put on 30 miles.

back probably 10yrs ago or so and earlier it was suggested to do an oil change after ~1000MI to help ensure to get any excess metal particles from assembly and break in to get removed but most cars have very tight tolerances now so it's not required...

by tight tolerances i mean it's closer to finished clearance from the beginning and does not need to remove as much material during the break-in process...
not tighter clearances and needs to remove more material through the break-in process...

theres also less margin of error now for the machining processes compared to even just ~10 yrs+ yrs ago...which helps increase efficiency and gas mileage etc

my cx-5 is 1.5 weeks old now and i just got to ~800mi last night(doesn't help me and my wife drove across michigan twice this weekend...lol)...(and will again...2 weeks from now...lol)and i don't plan on changing the oil till the odometer says 5kmi on it
it's not necessary...plus with the synthetic oil it's really not worth it, it's too expensive to waste the oil...granted i get free 5w-20 mobil1 oil at work(yes i know the cx-5 calls for 0w-20)...(but still if you were buying it full synthetic is not cheap, specially at a shop/dealer)...lol

Back