CX-5 Windshield Sun Shade / Visor

:
Mazdaspeed6
Alright, so my patience for Mazda to release an official/genuine sunshade for the CX-5 has run out. I went all summer with a toasty interior, and I am not doing it again this year.

Anybody have an aftermarket that fits WELL? I don't mean the universal junk from Wally World...
There's some legit shades made by after market companies which are made specifically to fix the CX-5. Anybody running one of these with success and good quality?

Alright, so my patience for Mazda to release an official/genuine sunshade for the CX-5 has run out. I went all summer with a toasty interior, and I am not doing it again this year.

Anybody have an aftermarket that fits WELL? I don't mean the universal junk from Wally World...
There's some legit shades made by after market companies which are made specifically to fix the CX-5. Anybody running one of these with success and good quality?

Mazda has an OEM for CX-5 http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-cx5-side-window-deflectors.html, ordered me a set yesterday.

I know you asked for a sunshade but I had the front windshield tinted with clear 3M ceramic tint. It blocks out 80% of the heat so no need for a sun shade unless it's above 90 degrees. Shoud be $125-150 depending if you have other windows done. I paid $500 to tint all 10 windows. 32% front 2 & clear on all the rest to block out all the heat.

I found a sunshade @ Costco yesterday. Wouldn't you know, on the back of the jumbo package it lists the CX-5! The shade is one of those round flip-open types. It covers the entire front windshield. Also included was 2 smaller shades for the rear passenger windows. Only $7.

I found a sunshade @ Costco yesterday. Wouldn't you know, on the back of the jumbo package it lists the CX-5! The shade is one of those round flip-open types. It covers the entire front windshield. Also included was 2 smaller shades for the rear passenger windows. Only $7.

This... Having bought probably a dozen different sunshades (including OEM), I find the flip/fold sunshades to work surprisingly well and covers almost every square inch. You must buy a rather large one though. The flip/fold is sturdy with their double embedded metal rings, so it doesn't flop around like flimsy cardboard or foam sunshades. Plus it folds into a compact circle. No nasty suction cup stains on the windshield either from sunshades.

Last edited:
Great info. Appreciate it, all. Looks like I have some good options at hand, including the possibilty of a geniune Mazda part.

For every newer vehicle I have owned, I have purchased the official, genuine shade, exact fit from the manufacturer. Cost really isn't an issue, because in my experience, the fit and quality are well worth it. I have had a Mazda shade in my Speed6 for 6 summers, and it is still good and ready to go this year...

Great info. Appreciate it, all. Looks like I have some good options at hand, including the possibilty of a geniune Mazda part.

For every newer vehicle I have owned, I have purchased the official, genuine shade, exact fit from the manufacturer. Cost really isn't an issue, because in my experience, the fit and quality are well worth it. I have had a Mazda shade in my Speed6 for 6 summers, and it is still good and ready to go this year...

The Heatshield one I posted is custom cut to fit the CX-5. There are no gaps or spaces anywhere, it covers 100% of the windshield, so if you end up not being able to find an OEM one, I highly recommend the Heatshield.

Here's a picture of the HeatShield's coverage

heatshield.JPG

This... Having bought probably a dozen different sunshades (including OEM), I find the flip/fold sunshades to work surprisingly well and covers almost every square inch. You must buy a rather large one though. The flip/fold is sturdy with their double embedded metal rings, so it doesn't flop around like flimsy cardboard or foam sunshades. Plus it folds into a compact circle. No nasty suction cup stains on the windshield either from sunshades.

I've used quite a few of those ones from Costco over the years, but what I don't particularly like about them is that they still let light & heat through. When I put up a heatshield, it blocks all light from entering the window, and is noticeable cooler.

I had a hard time deciding between going with a Covercraft or a Heatshield. Eventually I decided on a Heatshield since I have a smaller one I've used for years and it has held up very well.

I just ordered Covercraft one from autoanything last night. I like the folded look, instead of the roll up texture of the reflecting surface, like I just put some aluminum foil on my window. But it says ship date between May 13-15th?!? It takes two weeks just for them to get it out the door? Is this the usual lead time for autoanything? If so I'm going back to Amazon.

I just ordered Covercraft one from autoanything last night. I like the folded look, instead of the roll up texture of the reflecting surface, like I just put some aluminum foil on my window. But it says ship date between May 13-15th?!? It takes two weeks just for them to get it out the door? Is this the usual lead time for autoanything? If so I'm going back to Amazon.

I ordered one two days ago but they shipped it out today. Also had roughly the same ship date quoted in my order...

Edit: If you want to get it shipped faster, ask them if it's too late to cancel the order. A lot of times they will say that if the item is shipped they cannot do it. :D

Back