Protege99s Extremely Slow Build Thread

Protege99s Extremely Slow Build Thread

My build is nothing spectacular compared to many of the other builds here. I figured I would come out of lurking mode and post my current build plans here. This is the second Protg5 I’ve owned, the first was a Black Mica P5 which was totaled by a drunk driver. When the opportunity arose a few years ago it was either a between the Lexus IS300 or Protg5. I could resist getting another P5.

This is what she used to look like. Sold Enkei EKM3 wheels to a awesome member here. Currently back on stock wheels.

2013-01-03_15-37-22_166.jpg

2013-01-03_15-37-30_432.jpg

2013-01-03_15-37-37_946.jpg

My current mod list to date which is mostly going to change.

AWR front and rear end links
AWR Rear 21.5mm sway bar
Tokico Blue HB Performance Struts
Sprint Springs
20% tint
Kenwood double din screen cd/dvd player
Custom projector headlights by http://www.lightwerkz.net
Pictures of my headlights (the first 8 pictures are of my headlights)

http://www.lightwerkz.net/gallery/index.php/mazda/protege

Pictures of protectors on my car minus the careless driver that hit me in Times Square which has been long repaired.

2011-12-31_09-36-55_258.jpg

2011-12-31_09-37-03_765.jpg

Last edited:
In the past few weeks I’ve recently decided to go mod crazy and purchased a lot of new items. With the exception of the AAC Wilwood SL-6 big brake kit that has been sitting. I plan to powder coat them yellow or red. I can’t wait to see the end result.

Current mods ready to be installed or on order to arrive sometime this week or next week.

Yellow Speed Coilovers

IMG_20130417_192834_3471.jpg

New control arms

IMG_20130417_192810_048.jpg

Progress rear sway bar

IMG_20130417_192743_034.jpg

Megan Racing trailing arms
IMG_20130417_192716_0551.jpg

Kenwood 4 channel amp for the speakers.

Currently have Pioneer two way speakers installed all around. If I don’t like the way they sound when the amp is installed. I will replace them.

IMG_20130417_192632_676.jpg

AAC SL-6 Big Brake Kit
2013-03-15_19-37-56_154.jpg

2013-03-15_19-37-13_571.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered these items today; hope to have them in 3-5 days.

Ford Escape endlinks for the front / Autozone stock ones for the rear until AAC has new endlinks in stock.

Replacement bushings for front sway bar which is stock.

Enkei PF01’s in silver - 16.6lbs with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires.

http://www.enkei.com/pf01.shtml

205/45ZR17 (I am regret getting a 45 series tire and not 215/40/17, but I will see how this works for now and replace it in a few months if I don't like it.) Pot holes in DC have caused many flats for me in the past. Maybe this is best.

Last edited:
U did good by getting the 45's. I have them on my car with the racingharts and the potholes here are also a pretty big problem. My rear right went in one and now has a bad road rash on it :(

The UPS man brought some goodies today. In progress of installing now. My garage is small and it’s getting dark so I will take better pictures when I can during the day. Going on Amazon also to get a decent camera.

IMG_wheel2.jpg

IMG_wheel.jpg

IMG_wheel1.jpg

Thank you Evade, it’s good to be back!

I took a two hour drive last night to test the new wheels and tires. CiviCity the 45’s did well in DC. These wheels are absolutely amazing and extremely light. The end links arrived today; AutoZone sent one incorrect one but will send the right one.

I took some pictures of the wheels on my car, more crappy cell phone pics.

Car.jpg

Car1.jpg

Car4.jpg

Snapped a few of the projectors.

Car2.jpg

Car3.jpg

Kenwood CD/DVD

Car5.jpg

Everything has been installed for quite some time thanks to Junya, finally rushed in a few pictures. Going to get a CX7 antenna and Mazda6 rear wiper next.

Future plans are to purchase a speed circuit turbo kit, forge the engine and upgrade my sound system which is pretty horrible right now. I haven’t installed the amp yet.

Mazda1.jpg

Mazda2.jpg

Mazda3.jpg

Mazda4.jpg

Last edited:
Looking pretty damn good!

The antenna and rear wiper mod are great as well. The rear wiper really cleans up the rear end. Have you thought about doing the MPV/Tribute/Escape intermittent wiper stalk? Another nice little mod that is superb in functionality. Still can't figure out why it wasn't offered as a standard feature.

where in VA/MD you located? So far ive only spoken to one other member on here thats from the NOVA area and actually goes to the meets around here.

Looking pretty damn good!

The antenna and rear wiper mod are great as well. The rear wiper really cleans up the rear end. Have you thought about doing the MPV/Tribute/Escape intermittent wiper stalk? Another nice little mod that is superb in functionality. Still can't figure out why it wasn't offered as a standard feature.

Thanks! I am going to look into MPV/Tribute/Escape wiper stalk.

where in VA/MD you located? So far I’ve only spoken to one other member on here thats from the NOVA area and actually goes to the meets around here.

When I had my first Protege5, I was at the meets pretty much every weekend whether it was an organized Mazda meet, some meet in Rockville, or some other location. I sometimes go to Alexandria to see my friends JB4 tuned 335i. There are mostly Evo’s, BMW’s, Audi’s, and Vettes there most of the time.

Last edited:
I actually live in Stafford.

I just purchased a P5 so I'm looking to fix it up as long as my college budget allows. Definitely let me know if you're ever trying to sell parts, etc, I might be interested.

Back