USA - No manual in upper trims - Questions on adding everything yourself

ccaz

Test drove a couple CX-5s and a few other cars this weekend. Loved the manual CX-5, but want heated seats, better stereo, bluetooth, leather and such. I've read a few posts of people adding stuff to a CX-5 sport manual such a Katzin leather w/heated seats, Pioneer receiver (bluetooth, HD, NAV), upgraded speakers. I'm just trying to decide if it's foolish to go that route vs just living with the auto and then having the 2.5 and AWD. Anyone added $3K+ in upgrades to their CX-5 sport and completely happy?

I'm coming from an auto transmission car now, but all previous were manual and the CX-5 manual was a surprisingly fun drive (owned an RX-7 turbo, Mitsu Eclipse in the past).

BTW is there even a chance in hell that we see them add the manual to the upper packages like they are doing with the new 6 (manual in Touring late). I've emailed Mazda USA a few times to complain over this one and they never say anything but they'll record my feedback. They did mention this "The diesel engine is going to be added in the near future but there is no exact date." I'm sure auto only in the US. The dealer I talked to said the same thing and mentioned US diesel quality being the problem.

Test drove a couple CX-5s and a few other cars this weekend. Loved the manual CX-5, but want heated seats, better stereo, bluetooth, leather and such. I've read a few posts of people adding stuff to a CX-5 sport manual such a Katzin leather w/heated seats, Pioneer receiver (bluetooth, HD, NAV), upgraded speakers. I'm just trying to decide if it's foolish to go that route vs just living with the auto and then having the 2.5 and AWD. Anyone added $3K+ in upgrades to their CX-5 sport and completely happy?

I'm coming from an auto transmission car now, but all previous were manual and the CX-5 manual was a surprisingly fun drive (owned an RX-7 turbo, Mitsu Eclipse in the past).

BTW is there even a chance in hell that we see them add the manual to the upper packages like they are doing with the new 6 (manual in Touring late). I've emailed Mazda USA a few times to complain over this one and they never say anything but they'll record my feedback. They did mention this "The diesel engine is going to be added in the near future but there is no exact date." I'm sure auto only in the US. The dealer I talked to said the same thing and mentioned US diesel quality being the problem.

Yes we have ULSD in Europe, although in the uk they've been messing about with the %age of bio-diesel in the blend which may be contributing to rising oil/diesel levels in the sump on some vehicles.
There more of a culture in the states than in the UK to customize your car. I have to get door protection strips from the USA. none available here...

Personally, I think the automatic is quite fun to drive as well. Even if I loved manuals, which I don't particularly, I would still choose the 2.5 over the stick. If you are happy with the 2.0 though, I would not hesitate to do the upgrades yourself. Upgrading is half the fun for me.

I was in the same boat, wanted better stuff w/ manual, but in US manual=economy

I've just did Kazskin and speaker upgrade myself, tint by pro, as for bluetooth just buy one of those Belkin unit, for nav just buy removeable ones. I'm very happy with my setup right now, as for ski trips, I've bought Thule chain, that quick on off type, works great you don't need to drive it over just loop tighten and go.

yes I wish Mazda would offer manual AWD with 2.5L or 2.2L D....

pt,
When you say you installed the Katzin's yourself... do you literally mean you removed the cloth and added the leather covers on your own? If so how bad of a job was that? Does stuff just unzip/remove/place zip-up? On a 1 to 10 scale how much swearing was required to do the job?

I haven't done tint, but have done plenty of audio even on a brand new car with the dash/interior torn all apart the garage, so I'm not scared of the work (not uber amp upgrades, but speaker and head-unit swaps).

Do a search you need to cut some snaps and resnap some u tube vids also

About 4-5 hr job u need to remove the seats

Is worth it. Everyone saw it thought it came from dealer, the oem fabric is so thin

Back