Oil change tool required

:
2014 Mazda6 Sport MT
Can someone confirm the proper tool/size needed to remove the oil drain plug? I'm thinking it's a 10mm mid-length ball hex, but not sure.

Thanks

you need a 8mm hex to remove drain bolt.

to remove cover you need a philips screwdriver and a flathead to pop out the fasteners.

Anyone determine the amount of oil needed? In the spec is says 4.8 qt with filter change. 4.5 qt without. I put in about 4.4 qt and looking at the dip stick, I'm getting some funky reading. One side is a bit dry while the other shows oil well above the second hole. I replace the oil filter so i'm not exactly sure why my reading is funky depending on the side of the stick. One side shows oil just right above the first hole while the other shows oil well above the second hole on the stick. WTF? I did it several times with engine warmed up to temp and waiting 5 minutes as well. Did I over fill the oil or under fill?

Last edited:
UPDATE, called and talked to two separate dealership service tech's and they both said to read the lower one as the other side has residual from the dip stick tube.

Back