CX-5 Navigation Installation

mgm1451

:
2014 CX-5 GT with Tech pkg.
Can anyone please tell me how to remove the Pocket assembly while installing the CX-5 Navigation unit? In the instructions manual it says "Grasp the pocket assy from the back side of the lower panel and press it out to the vehicle rear".

Now, I popped the hood open and was looking for the pocket assy on the right side of the car (near the battery). But, I couldn't see where the rear of the pocket assy is. Am I looking at the right place for the pocket assy which I am supposed to push it so that it will pop out inside the car? Please help. Thanks.

Can anyone please tell me how to remove the Pocket assembly while installing the CX-5 Navigation unit? In the instructions manual it says "Grasp the pocket assy from the back side of the lower panel and press it out to the vehicle rear".

Now, I popped the hood open and was looking for the pocket assy on the right side of the car (near the battery). But, I couldn't see where the rear of the pocket assy is. Am I looking at the right place for the pocket assy which I am supposed to push it so that it will pop out inside the car? Please help. Thanks.

dude, you'll never reach it from engine compartment, the firewall is in the way, you probably have to come up from underneath the dash and pop it out, or if you have a small flat bladed screwdriver you could wrap it in some thin cloth and gently pry it out along the edges

dude, you'll never reach it from engine compartment, the firewall is in the way, you probably have to come up from underneath the dash and pop it out, or if you have a small flat bladed screwdriver you could wrap it in some thin cloth and gently pry it out along the edges

Ok, now another question. Should I disconnect the battery before I pry the edges and fix up the cables? (or) I dont need to dsiconnect the battery? Thanks

I found a small opening right underneath the lower panel below the cubby hole. I was able to reach the pocket assy and felt the wires. I think what the instruction is talking about is this opening. You can probably put ur hands up through this opening and push the pocket assy out. Or pry with a screw driver...But i dont know if i need to disconnect the battery while doing this...

I found a small opening right underneath the lower panel below the cubby hole. I was able to reach the pocket assy and felt the wires. I think what the instruction is talking about is this opening. You can probably put ur hands up through this opening and push the pocket assy out. Or pry with a screw driver...But i dont know if i need to disconnect the battery while doing this...

well technically you probably should, just to be on the safe side, but if you're feeling daring you dont have to

no problem, its not as big of a deal as you think it is, and that last answer was one of the few that i wasn't being sarcastic in lol

Successful CX-5 Navigation Installation !!!!

Alright, I am done with the Navigation installation this morning. Once I took the Pocket assy out, it took only 10 mins to install the Nav unit. The toughest part for me was to take off the Pocket assy. Here is what I did.
1) Disconnected the negative terminal of the battery and wrapped the cable with a cloth (just to avoid it to contact any metal surface while hanging free).
2) I tried to use my bare hands to pull the pocket assy. Also tried to use a small flat head screw driver wrapped with a piece of cloth and pry open. Both times, I failed. Because, the pocket assy was tightly held by the panel. And I didnt have any grip to pull it out.
3) So, I looked underneath the small opening right beneath the hood-release-lever and used a flash light to see what is in there. I was able to see the pocket assy and the 3 cables (USB, +B/ACC and GPS antenna cables) that are connected to it. First I tried to push the pocket assy by inserting my hands through the opening in the lower panel. It was tough to push it because a) the assy was secured so tightly by the clips b) the cables were in the way so I couldn't get a good grip. So, I removed one of the cables (gps antenna cable) from the pocket assy and now I had a little bit more grip. Then I grasped the entire pocket assy's back and then pushed real hard. Voila, it f**ing popped right out giving the back of my hands a couple of scratches with some blood :). So, be careful while u push it out. THIS WAS THE HARDEST PART for me!!!
4) Now, I removed the other 2 cables (USB and +B/ACC) from the back of the assy.
5) I removed the Wiring harness clip. Now the pocket assy is free of any cables/wires. I put aside the pocket assy (wheww!!!).
6) Now, I took the Nav unit and connected all the 3 cables first and then connected the wiring harness clip.
7) I toyed around 2-3 times to align the Nav unit with the four clip holders on the panel. Then, pushed the upper 2 clips on the edges and then the lower 2 clips. The Nav unit snapped right in - perfect fit.
8) Used the flash light again and looked through the opening under the hood-release-lever and ensured if the Nav unit is in place with all the cables attached.
9) Connected the negative terminal of the battery.
10) Performed all the checks as mentioned in the instruction manual (turning ON the push button start, pressing the power/audio button, etc., etc.,)
11) Now, I disconnected the battery negative terminal again to reset (like it said in the instructions!).
12) Then, just followed the instructions to set the power windows, moonroof, TPMS etc., I had to set the time, set all the preset radio stations, my trip meter and avg. mpg were all reset bcoz of the battery disconnection!
13) I took a test drive by using the GPS and it was all GREAT!!! (rockon)

Thanks for everyone who responded for my questions... (2thumbs)

Alright, I am done with the Navigation installation this morning. Once I took the Pocket assy out, it took only 10 mins to install the Nav unit. The toughest part for me was to take off the Pocket assy. Here is what I did.
*snip*
Thanks for everyone who responded for my questions... (2thumbs)

glad ya got it squared away, make sure to do teh updates on the sd card

Back