Switch-on reverse camera using Defros button..

nessir

:
2012 Mazda 5.
Hi, I am new to this forum.. I would like to share what I've done today..

In my tropical country, rear windows defroster is something useless. Here is how I make is usefull - to power on the reverse camera by using Rear Window Defroster Switch located at Climate Control unit.

1) The existing camera power is supplied by reverse lamp +12V wire (blue/white wire at the rear hatch connector) so when we reverse the car, the camera operates. I've inserted a diode (part number IN4002 or equivalent) between blue/white wire and camera (+) supply so there will only one way current flowing.

2) Then I cut off the rear windows defroster +12V wire between heater and +12v supply connector, located at the left side of liftgate (hatchdoor). This +12V supply connector then connects to the +12v camera through a diode. Without diodes, the defroster voltage could power on the reverse bulbs.
Note - in this step, no need to totally remove the liftgate's plastic cover. Just pop out on the left side to allow enough space for your hands to work in.

3) The rear defroster circuit is controlled by BCM unit with a relay and 25Amp fuse. That means we could put a load up to 300Watt. To be safe, the fuse rating should be reduced to 10Amp or lower.

That's it.
Now when I reverse the car, the camera will still automatically switched on as usual. When I worry of someone stop too close behind me, I just press the Defros button.. if I let it on, the BCM unit will automatically switch it off after 10-15 minutes..

Attachments

• climate-control.JPG
    climate-control.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 229
  • defros-connector.jpg
    defros-connector.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 254
That is a brilliant modification!

I've been rummaging through the junkyards to find extra switches to mount in the dash for future accessories. But these will have to be wired up front to back when I figure out what I want to operate.

I like the idea of using the existing hardware on the car for modifications - especially if the wiring is in a VERY convenient place such as your defroster solution.

(mj)

Latest posts

Back