Question about tire pressure. please read.

BB33

Just wondering but is there a way to self test the pressure of the tires to make sure they are all where they are supposed to be? The salesman said something to me about on the dash there is a button you can press and hold down and if it beeps it means you are all set or something. Can someone clear it up for me? With my last car there was an orange exclamation point that appeared on the odometer. Didnt know if mazda does it a different way. My tires look fine I just wanna know how to see if there is ever a problem. Thank you.

Sure. You get a tire pressure gauge and, with the tires "cold," you go around and make sure they match what's printed inside the door!

The TPS (Tire Pressure monitoring System) on the Mazda CX-5, for better or for worse, relies on information from the wheel speed sensors to determine whether a tire is correctly inflated. Some vehicles (like my wife's Tacoma) have actual pressure sensors in each valve stem which report back an actual pressure. This costs more, but unlike the rotation system could tell you not to start driving if you'd parked on a nail. (Thanks, roofing company!)

Anyway, once you *do* have the inflation set correctly you can tell it so by holding down that button until it beeps. This needs to be done after any service that requires a battery disconnect.

Most of the time, though, you don't have to do anything except drive. If a problem is detected, the light will come on. Also note that you can't really tell by looking at steel-belted radials whether they're under-inflated.

Back