Cup Holder for CX-5 Rear Seat (sport model)

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Manual, Liquid Silver
This may not suit everyone's tastes but it's working for us. This cheap ($9.99) cup holder from K-Mart is just the right size to fit on the driveshaft hump between the console and the rear seat. It matches the interior colors well and gives our grandson a place to put his drink.

It fits fairly tightly between the rear seat and console but I wanted to fasten it a bit more securely. I cut a piece of 1/2 inch thick wood to a 4x4" size and covered one side of it with self adhesive Velcro, stapling the edges of the Velcro to the wood to make sure it doesn't come loose. Then place the wood Velcro-side down on the driveshaft hump, place the cup holder in place on top of the wood, and run a short wood screw through the mounting hole in the cup holder and into the block of wood. Nice thing about mounting with Velcro is that it can be easily removed if you need to haul three passengers in the back seat.

I wish Mazda had used the 40/20/40 rear seat with cup holders in the Sport but, since they didn't, this is a cheap solution. Hope this post helps someone out.

cup holder.jpg

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9411272/1492/accessories/interior_accessories/consoles_coolers/?quantity=1

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for sharing. There's a Kmart store closing down the street, maybe I'll pick one up & post a photo.

Thanks for sharing. I am so amazed that Mazda did not put any cup holders in. I took for granted they were there. Does Mazda really think that nobody will drink anything in the back seat? They could have put them in the door pockets if not in the middle of the seat.

Thanks for sharing. I am so amazed that Mazda did not put any cup holders in. I took for granted they were there. Does Mazda really think that nobody will drink anything in the back seat? They could have put them in the door pockets if not in the middle of the seat.

The touring has them in the middle seat arm rest.

Go to the wreckers and get the center arm rest from a dinged up model if you can find one. I am on call at my local scrap yard for any CX-5.

The doors have cup holders built in on front and rear doors. Well at least on touring model.

I have the UK Sport model and have cup holders in the pull-down armrest in the rear seats..... why would they do a different armrest for the US Sport model?

I know, it doesn't make sense. Seems like it would increase production costs to produce two versions of the rear seat. Rear seat cup holders are so standard in most cars that it really seems like a cheapskate move on Mazda's part not to include them on the Sport model. Oh well, we're still really enjoying the CX-5 so far.

I have the UK Sport model and have cup holders in the pull-down armrest in the rear seats..... why would they do a different armrest for the US Sport model?

Just looked it up on the Mazda.co.uk site, and you're correct.
They don't offer the CX-5 with the 60/40 rear seat at all.
Also, your Sport trim car is the High Option level vehicle, while our Sport trim is the lowest trim level.

Talk about confusing if you have to go from one country to the next, and cover all the models.

BC.

Just looked it up on the Mazda.co.uk site, and you're correct.
They don't offer the CX-5 with the 60/40 rear seat at all.
Also, your Sport trim car is the High Option level vehicle, while our Sport trim is the lowest trim level.

Talk about confusing if you have to go from one country to the next, and cover all the models.

BC.

Yes, Sport models are usually the top-of-the-range model in the UK. Sounds strange to me a Sport being a base model... is this usually the case in the USA?

Yes, Sport models are usually the top-of-the-range model in the UK. Sounds strange to me a Sport being a base model... is this usually the case in the USA?

I can only assume sport in the USA refers more to a stripped out lighter faster car.

in the uk sport really means 'sporty' it looks faster, a number of 'sport' editions i've owned in the past were just a rear spolier and a go faster stripe :) and maybe front fog lights :)

I installed the same cup-holder from Pep Boys today. Used the dremmel to cut part of the plastic out to make it fit level and snug. Did not need to drill or use Velcro... I can pull it out of needed but it is in very snug and no worries about it moving or shifting. Let me know if anyone wants to see pics.

I installed the same cup-holder from Pep Boys today. Used the dremmel to cut part of the plastic out to make it fit level and snug. Did not need to drill or use Velcro... I can pull it out of needed but it is in very snug and no worries about it moving or shifting. Let me know if anyone wants to see pics.

I absolutely would like to see photos-only a couple miles from a Pep Boys-would be very helpful-thanks!

I can only assume sport in the USA refers more to a stripped out lighter faster car.

in the uk sport really means 'sporty' it looks faster, a number of 'sport' editions i've owned in the past were just a rear spolier and a go faster stripe :) and maybe front fog lights :)
"Sport" in US-Mazdaspeak means entry-level, decontented, a little lighter, but no faster or better handling as it only comes with the 2.0 GDI engine. It is, however, the only trim level on which the 6 MT is offered (which pisses a lot of people off as some would like to see the manual offered on other trim levels where the 2.5 GDI engine is standard).

Latest posts

Back