Grand Touring leather seats ripped.

TheWineMisfit

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT
Has anyone else had issues with their leather seats tearing or ripping at all? I've only had my cx5 for two months and 2000 miles and noticed a small tear the size of a dime in my passenger seat where I sit. I don't keep anything in my back pockets other than my wallet and maybe a few receipts. Has this happened to anyone else, and is it possible something was wrong with the leather it's self?

Right smack in the middle of the leather or at the seam? At the seam, I would think it would be an easy warranty, in the middle, you had better bring coffee and donuts to the service manager on the first day of your visit.
Sorry im not more help.

No such tear on seats after 1 year of ownership, although I usually sit in drivers seat. Not sure what happened.

Its right close to the seam.

Attachments

• 2013-03-28_11-00-53_596.jpg
    2013-03-28_11-00-53_596.jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 885
I agree.

I repaired a tear on my last car, but not on a seat base.

Find a bit of surplus leather, usually some in the car, place the small patch inside the tear, apply superglue and hold in place until in grabs.

Right smack in the middle of the leather or at the seam? At the seam, I would think it would be an easy warranty, in the middle, you had better bring coffee and donuts to the service manager on the first day of your visit.
Sorry im not more help.

Looks like a puncture to me also...he better bring him a whole box of donuts and they better not be the cheap ones with no filling (boom05)

Yeah that's definitely a puncture of some sort. The laether has been holding up very very well so far only some wrinkling on teh driver side front but that's mainly due to a bad design on where the clips of the seat were coming loose and I noticed too late to fix.

I'm tying to figure out how it happened. I never have anything in my pockets when I get it the car for that reason. Guess I'm bringing some donughts to the service center tomorrow.

I'm tying to figure out how it happened. I never have anything in my pockets when I get it the car for that reason. Guess I'm bringing some donughts to the service center tomorrow.

Maybe a screw driver in someones hip pocket with point up.

You have any children...playing in the car?? MY GT has 11000 miles and the leather seats are like new as is the rest of the CX 5

It looks like whatever did it wasn't real sharp as it appears to have torn the fibers apart rather than cut through them.

Nope. I'm the only driver and very careful of emptying my pockets.

The need to be "very careful of emptying my pockets", indicates a risk factor right there. Most drivers don't need to even take this precaution because they never carry items in pockets that would damage seats.

btw-Mentioned "only driver", but the hole is in "passenger seat where I sit" (per post #1)...?

Long ago i learnt my lesson, use to had a comb in my back pocket, tore the fabric.

Good photo. I can't quite tell if it is on the seat back or the bottom seat cushion, but appears to be a puncture or tear of some kind. Question: Have you ever given your car to a valet or had anyone else drive it - like at the car wash? Just sayin' - it may not be your fault, if this makes you feel any better. Anyway, I have a month-old CX-5 GT with the black leather interior and all looks great except that I noticed on the 2nd day that there was a slight lump or hard spot pressing against the surface from underneath on the driver's side seat bottom cushion. This is almost at the front of the seat just to the left of the seam between the raised outside bolster (smooth leather) and flat seat center insert (perforated leather). It almost feels like selvage from the welting or seam-work of the leather or some kind of cord or wire (something to do with the seat warmer perhaps?). As automotive leathers are often not of the thickest grade, I am afraid that after some weeks/months of sliding in and out, that this could possibly begin to wear through the leather itself and actually become exposed. It is only on this seat at this spot and is not felt or seen at any of the other seams or seats. I will mention this to the service manager on my first visit - if not before - to put them on record that there is a possible defect. Let me know if anyone else has noticed this or even felt it. Very obvious to the touch.

Back