Auto Headlight Setting

:
2014 GT AWD / Tech / Skyblue
Do you guys leave it at default "medium"? I have changed it to "lighter" and it didn't really seem to make a difference. Now that there are light out till past 7pm, I noticed it doesn't turn on till it gets "kinda" dark. I noticed cars around me has their headlights on but my car still doesn't auto turn on. Eventually it does. It's not a pain to turn on myself but just wanted to see if anyone feels the same way?

I turn it to the second to darkest setting and I am fine with that. I hate how the lights would turn on in any lighter setting when going through an underpass in the day light for a second or two, and then turn off. Not good for the ballasts nor the arc-lamps.

Have you tried the lightest setting?

I turn it to the second to darkest setting and I am fine with that. I hate how the lights would turn on in any lighter setting when going through an underpass in the day light for a second or two, and then turn off. Not good for the ballasts nor the arc-lamps.

Have you tried the lightest setting?

I didn't try the lightest setting. Also find it annoying when going through a quick under pass and light comes on. Not just that, if I am sitting in car at night and just wanted to turn radio on, I have to switch the light to OFF first or it will turn on headlight even though I just want to turn radio on. Thought about disabling this auto light feature. Seriously, how hard is it to turn the light on manually. Are people getting that lazy.

Thought about disabling this auto light feature. Seriously, how hard is it to turn the light on manually. Are people getting that lazy.

I don't use the auto feature since when pulling into my garage, the lights will come on. As SNTP said, you don't want to unnecessarily keep turning your xenons on and off as this will shorten their lifespan. I do wish the auto setting was in the opposite direction as to the other light functions, like on the BMW's, since if I have to put the lights on when raining during the day, I have to pass through the auto setting when turning the lights off and if I'm in the garage, the lights will come on again. Now that I think about it, since I don't use the auto setting other than putting on the headlights at night, as Mikeee2 said, I might as well totally disable it.

I don't use the auto feature since when pulling into my garage, the lights will come on. As SNTP said, you don't want to unnecessarily keep turning your xenons on and off as this will shorten their lifespan. I do wish the auto setting was in the opposite direction as to the other light functions, like on the BMW's, since if I have to put the lights on when raining during the day, I have to pass through the auto setting when turning the lights off and if I'm in the garage, the lights will come on again. Now that I think about it, since I don't use the auto setting other than putting on the headlights at night, as Mikeee2 said, I might as well totally disable it.

You know what I was thinking. Typical cars without this feature is, you turn once it's parking light, turn again it's headlight. We have Off, Auto, Parking, Headlight. I think the plan would be. Disable Auto Headlight. Leave the setting at Auto (if I am guessing right then Auto means it does nothing, in a way it's like OFF). So when you want to use headlight, you turn it twice like all the oldie cars. When shutting off car, you turn it the other way twice. Does that make sense? I haven't tried yet.

My brother's Mustang has Off, Parking, Headlight, Auto. That way if he doesn't use Auto, it's like any other old car settings. That makes A LOT more sense. By the way, he doesn't use AUTO as well.

Just checked the OM and don't think that we can disable the AUTO headlight's. From Sec 9-12 in Personalization:

Auto-light controlThe headlight illumination on/off timing based
on surrounding lightness/darkness can be
changed
Medium
Light/Medium
Light/Medium
Dark/Dark

Just checked the OM and don't think that we can disable the AUTO headlight's. From Sec 9-12 in Personalization:

Auto-light controlThe headlight illumination on/off timing based
on surrounding lightness/darkness can be
changed
Medium
Light/Medium
Light/Medium
Dark/Dark

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! There goes that plan.

I set it to Darkest and they don't go on when I pull into the garage, or short tunnels, overpasses, etc but it still comes on when I want it to at "true night". Works for me.

Was a good thought though. It's really only a problem since if even on the "light" setting, the auto headlights won't go on during periods of rain in the daytime. I wouldn't mind this as much if only our taillights were on along with the DRLs as on the BMWs.

I set it to Darkest and they don't go on when I pull into the garage, or short tunnels, overpasses, etc but it still comes on when I want it to at "true night". Works for me.

That's something I'll try, this way it's only 1 click to get the taillights on when it rains in the daytime.

True night = how dark though? As in like this dark, it would turn on? Just an example.

300779168_640.jpg

Mike when I first got the car it was on medium, and they would start coming on when it was about the darkness in that picture, maybe a little more. After setting to the darkest setting, it won't come on until its actually dark, i.e the streetlights would be on and I'm losing visibility. For me anyway, its the exact point at which I'd turn my headlights on manually if I was using the traditional method.

Well, changed the setting to "dark", put the switch on "auto", pulled into the garage @ 6PM (headlights were off) and just as I was about to turn off the car, the headlights came on.

how do you change the setting anyway. i have looked everywhere.

thanks

I believe I found how in the manual.Page 5-56.Through the Nav screen vehicle tab and set up button..
My wife is out with the CX so I didn't do the setting to dark yet.

Back