Head rest pole guides install

stefans

:
2010 Mazda 5 and 2012 Mazda 3 sport
I have broke the pole guides from the second row seat (behind the drivers seat) ans just bought new guides.
Please help with instructions on how to remove the broken poles guides so I can install the new one.
Thanks

Hi Stefans,

If you are referring to the plastic sleeves the headrest poles slide into, they are friction fit - pressed in. I imagine they would be very tough to pull back out - they are like giant panel push-clips. Not much instruction here I am afraid other than brute force. I suppose you could drill it out to loosen it up for removal - but this would take some great care.

Generally speaking, you would need to remove the seat from the car to dismantle the upper seat back if you had to push the guides from underneath.

Hi Stefans,

If you are referring to the plastic sleeves the headrest poles slide into, they are friction fit - pressed in. I imagine they would be very tough to pull back out - they are like giant panel push-clips. Not much instruction here I am afraid other than brute force. I suppose you could drill it out to loosen it up for removal - but this would take some great care.

Generally speaking, you would need to remove the seat from the car to dismantle the upper seat back if you had to push the guides from underneath.

Thanks a lot. That is exactly what I was refering to. Looks like I might have to go to the dealer to have this done as I dont want to break something when the parts were only $15. Next time I will be more carefull with my wife's 5 or I will have to move into the dog house.

Thanks a lot. That is exactly what I was refering to. Looks like I might have to go to the dealer to have this done as I dont want to break something when the parts were only $15. Next time I will be more carefull with my wife's 5 or I will have to move into the dog house.

You won't be able to break it more than you already broke it...other than damaging the seat upholstery (tape a towel or something over the area).

The plastic sleeves are press fit into a square "tube" of steel in the seat frame - the plastic will give before the steel.

The question is will you give before the plastic does? (drunk)

This is a reference diagram (not an actual Mazda seat - but the idea is the same)
47729640.png

Did it.
I went to the dealer and asked to show me how to do it and was easier then I thought. Just had to undo the seat cover on the back (make sure the seat is flat folded) and then had to put my hand inside and voila the broken plastic pole guide just came out and inserted the new ones. Total job took maybe 5 minutes. Just in case somebody else has this problem I hope this will help them. The seat cover is held by a plastic clamp in the back close to the bottom.

Back