How to get credit for the Geolanders?

:
Former CX-5 Own
My CX-5 AWD is about to (finally!) arrive at the dealership and I was thinking of replacing the 17' tires on it to make it safer and better over snow and ice for ski trips. Since most of my driving will be done on at most wet roads and even on ski trips most of the driving is not over ice/snow, it makes sense to use All-Season tires year-round.
I was thinking to switch from the Yokohama Geolander to perhaps the Firestone Destination LE2. Now, the ski season is winding up very quickly and I will not likely need better tires this season. However, it would be nice if I could get some credit for the essentially new tires the car comes with.
All the new tire places I have asked said they cannot give me any credit and that certain buy-back programs tire manufacturers had have ended. I've asked 2 dealerships here and one said they do not swap tires on new vehicles and at the other dealership one dealer said they will give me credit but then it seemed others at that dealership want to renege on this (perhaps because there is really no money in this for them?).
Yeah, I can sell it on Craig's List or something, but rather not. I find it hard to believe there is no money for them in paying me substantially less for these essentially brand-new tires and then selling this to someone else at a profit.

Can someone share from their experience how can this be done? If too much hassle, I am simply going to ride these tires until late 2013 and switch to better tires only then.

Do you have Discount Tire in your area? If so you can give them a call, I think they offer credit for tires.

Just put the damn things on Craigslist or ebay and be done with it. You're looking for something that doesn't exist otherwise!

If you were looking for used tires, where would you look? If you sell them to the dealer, guess what they are going to do with them - sell them to the guy that sells used tires. You can either cut out the middle man and sell them yourself, or get essentially nothing for them. Consider they aren't worth much anyways, used, as the used market on tires isn't much.

just get a second set of winter wheels/tires... why bother swapping/selling tires? U actually take a loss on selling used tires (even though the car is right off the ship).

My CX-5 AWD is about to (finally!) arrive at the dealership and I was thinking of replacing the 17' tires on it to make it safer and better over snow and ice for ski trips. Since most of my driving will be done on at most wet roads and even on ski trips most of the driving is not over ice/snow, it makes sense to use All-Season tires year-round.
I was thinking to switch from the Yokohama Geolander to perhaps the Firestone Destination LE2.

You do know that the stock Yokohama GeoLander tires are all seasons, right?

BC.

so you're wanting to swap from all season tires, to all season tires...?
AND you want money back for your tires which will have all of however many miles from the dealer to the tire store..?
AND you dont want to sell them youself..?

seems to me like it makes no sense...
just drive on the tires it came with...there's a reson that they're already on it....
i'd understand your dilemma if you're trying to get some kind of performance tires or something...but switcing for the heck of it makes no sense...

my .02...

Yup, that''s what I was saying.

Unless the Firestone's have the winter snowflake symbol on them, there really aren't any benefits of switching from one all season tire to another.

But it's already been over a month.
Hopefully the OP didn't slide off the mountain road on the Yokohama's.

BC.

Very little snow after 1st post, standard tires plenty effective.

Unless the Firestone's have the winter snowflake symbol on them, there really aren't any benefits of switching from one all season tire to another.

if they have a snowflake that makes them winter(aka snow) tires....and the OP was saying he/she doesn't want snow tires...just different all seasons...

and the firestones don't have the snowflake btw...(i worked at firestone complete auto care for a year...)
destination AT(APT if u buy them at costco or sear's) or LE or SPT are just passenger truck tires(pickups, suv's etc)...the only difference between them and our OE tires is the tread may last a bit longer...
tho they also have a load rated line of destination at and le which on our car would give you not only almost infinite tread life(since the car is so light), but reduced mpg(those tires weigh a ton...almost double the non load rated...and it depends on the load rating also theres like 3 kinds IIRC)

they also have a load rated line of destination at and le which on our car would give you not only almost infinite tread life(since the car is so light), but reduced mpg(those tires weigh a ton...almost double the non load rated...and it depends on the load rating also theres like 3 kinds IIRC)
All tires sold for road use are load rated... I suspect you are referring to a line of tires rated as "Light Truck" or LT. If so, this simply refers to tires that have higher load ratings.

And, I agree on the weight thing, buying tires that are load rated well beyond the GVWR of the intended vehicle will be excessively heavy and have a detrimental effect on MPG (not to mention acceleration).

the load rated ones and non-load rated ones are both LT...IIRC
the only good thing about buying the load rated tires for a vehicle like ours is the tread would last very very very long...because the vehicle is so light and the tires are designed to carry heavy loads so they wear normally, and obviously we aren't...(hence being light truck tires)

and speaking of off-road tires there's also destination MT which i forgot to mention in my post above...but those are definetly off-road tires...very huge chunky tread blocks...(and that had nothing to do with this topic....lol)

the load rated ones and non-load rated ones are both LT...IIRC
the only good thing about buying the load rated tires for a vehicle like ours is the tread would last very very very long...)

I'll repeat myself - All tires for road use are load rated.

You may be referring to tires that are rated "Extra Load" instead of "Standard Load". This simply means that they have a higher load rating when inflated beyond the standard 35 psi. But all tires are "Load Rated".

sorry, that's what i meant to say
i wrote load rated, but i meant the kind of load rating heavy duty truck tires get(C, D, E, etc), not the regular load rating to make them road legal(not that you'll ever have anybody check to see if they're actually legal or not)

if they have a snowflake that makes them winter(aka snow) tires....and the OP was saying he/she doesn't want snow tires...just different all seasons...

I used to own a set of Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread tires that had the mountain snowflake symbol on them for my '07 Nissan Altima with the 16 inch wheels.
That was before Goodyear redesigned them to give longer life.

Tey were all season tires, but they performed fantastically in the snow.

BC.

I am just now looking at vehicles. I am also looking at the Subaru Forester and it gets the same tires. Folks there have switched to Michelin Defenders and are happier with the ride. I plan to make it part of my deal at purchase for them to be switched out. I figure that the dealer can use them in their parts inventory, so may be the best buyers.

There are a lot of RAV4s out there using the 225/65R17. I didn't have much trouble selling them on kijiji (eBay classified in the US, I think).

Back