:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Before
20130213_173319_zps1fd5c87a.jpg

20130213_173342_zps62244805.jpg

After
20130318_150855_zps93705c94.jpg

20130318_150843_zpsd65a1366.jpg

What's the little thingy under the r/v mirror? Do you have alignment specs that you can share?

It's a Germany eagle decal, and I'll post it, I don't have the paper right now.

That looks good Chris!!! Going to Tire Kingdom in a few to order my new wheels and tires from a friend who's giving me a deal. Going with the same size wheels and sneakers that your running. So give us the numbers, how much did it drop? Was an alignment able to resolve any camber issues?

I did not measure the drop, although I can definitely notice and feel (for better and worst, but mostly better) the difference. The mechanic that did my springs shortened a bolt a bit to help with non adjustable camber. I did not go for an OEM alignment since 1. you can't with the lowering springs and 2. I'm not using skinny OEM tires. I'll be posting a video of the CS exhaust tomorrow I'll post the align spec then. So far I have been happy with the TOYO tires, good price and grip, I would recommend them.

factory camber is non-adjustable? ugh
*facepalm*

I really didnt expect that from Mazda

(btw, your alignment settings have nothing to do with the width of your tires)

factory camber is non-adjustable? ugh
*facepalm*

I really didnt expect that from Mazda

(btw, your alignment settings have nothing to do with the width of your tires)
This thread (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123816937-H-amp-R-lowering-springs) will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about limitations of using lowering springs on CX-5. The camber issue is the reason some here, including myself, have given up the idea of lowering the car. At least until someone comes up with an aftermarket fix.

This thread (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123816937-H-amp-R-lowering-springs) will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about limitations of using lowering springs on CX-5. The camber issue is the reason some here, including myself, have given up the idea of lowering the car. At least until someone comes up with an aftermarket fix.

Yeah gonna have to check out a Japanese source or something for CX-5 camber kits. Until then holding out.

Has anyone looked at the Cork Sport camber kit? I see it's listed in one of the articles on the CJ Wilson lowered CX-5 by ProParts.

I think someone asked but I didn't see a response.

Should it be okay to lower just the rear and not the front?

Before

]

Chris… love the look. Did you have to do an alignment after install the lowering springs?

Yes, as is the case with any ride height adjustment. You will not be able to get factory camber, however using coil overs (there are 2-4 options out there) you can. No problem for me because I am happy with my slightly more aggressive alignment and my wheels are wearing great, despite fast curves and the occasional slide.

Yes, as is the case with any ride height adjustment. You will not be able to get factory camber, however using coil overs (there are 2-4 options out there) you can. No problem for me because I am happy with my slightly more aggressive alignment and my wheels are wearing great, despite fast curves and the occasional slide.

Awesome - sounds like a reasonable compromise. How is the ride compared to stock springs?
I'm really debating on either getting larger wheels/tires vs lowering springs + stock wheels.
I wonder if I can run 265/45-20 and not rub if I don't lower?

Awesome - sounds like a reasonable compromise. How is the ride compared to stock springs?
I'm really debating on either getting larger wheels/tires vs lowering springs + stock wheels.
I wonder if I can run 265/45-20 and not rub if I don't lower?

That Tampa guy is running 10" wheels (TSW MAX A20x10x40 (ET40) Tires 275x40x20), not lowered and if I recall correctly he is not rubbing. I know if I were to install 10" wheels I would rub the inside plastic lining on average left/right turn say from a stop sign or something. In reality, it would not be a big issue because eventually it would wear down enough to not rub, or simply but the very small spot where it rubs. You could always add some kind of extruded patch to keep the water splash out (although really any water that got in would simply drain out of the plastic skid plate). Personally I purchased my wheels/tires local; I had no worries and what they recommended (tire size/ rim width combo wise) was a good fit.

Last edited:
That Tampa guy is running 10" wheels (TSW MAX A20x10x40 (ET40) Tires 275x40x20), not lowered and if I recall correctly he is not rubbing. I know if I were to install 10" wheels I would rub the inside plastic lining on average left/right turn say from a stop sign or something. In reality, it would not be a big issue because eventually it would wear down enough to not rub, or simply but the very small spot where it rubs. You could always add some kind of extruded patch to keep the water splash out (although really any water that got in would simply drain out of the plastic skid plate). Personally I purchased my wheels/tires local; I had no worries and what they recommended (tire size/ rim width combo wise) was a good fit.

Thank you! I might buy 20x8.5" wheels w/40 offset and get 275x40x20 tires...sounds reasonable.
If that doesn't work, I could try 265 or 255x45x20

Back