ride comparability?

madugo

how u guys think about the cx5 ride comparability?
been driving it for a few days and noticed it has a pretty hard suspension?
a little bumpy on some of the rougher roads...

Last edited:
It's hard to build a good handling car & ride like a boat w/o magnetic or adjustable shocks like in Mercedes & Lexus, etc.
I rather it ride 'hard' than ride like a boat.

been driving it for a few days and noticed it has a pretty hard suspension?

Darn tootin' it's firm - I wouldn't have bought it if the suspension was soft or mushy.

Thankfully, it also has a rigid chassis. I hate driving cars that are flexi-flyers.

ya i guess it does make sense...
just a little too hard for me when comparing to wifes new x3...
it does drives more car like than the x3, but to me the x3 feel more comfortable but also not too soft..

it does drives more car like than the x3, but to me the x3 feel more comfortable but also not too soft..

Well yeah... the BMW X3 also has a base price of almost $40k and climbs quickly with options, nearly double where the CX-5 starts. In related news, the Mazda6 doesn't ride as smoothly as a Mercedes C300, and a bear took a crap in the woods today!

(hand)

The X3 weighs a whopping 686 lbs. more than the CX-5 so it's not surprising it has a softer ride. And it's a less roomy car even though it's 4" longer. The extra 686 lbs. would be like having 3 additional passengers that weighed 228 lbs. each with you wherever you go. The ride of your CX-5 will soften up considerably with that much extra weight added. And all that weight has a negative impact on handling ability. With the weight of the X3 you probably want the $1400 Dynamic Handling Package. Putting the X3 in Sport mode with the $1400 Dynamic Handling Package will firm it right up.

Actually, the best charm of the CX-5 (IMO) is how light and nimble it feels while still feeling solid and firm.

Last edited:
The X3 weighs a whopping 686 lbs. more than the CX-5 so it's not surprising it has a softer ride. And it's a less roomy car even though it's 4" longer. The extra 686 lbs. would be like having 3 additional passengers that weighed 228 lbs. each with you wherever you go. The ride of your CX-5 will soften up considerably with that much extra weight added. And all that weight has a negative impact on handling ability. With the weight of the X3 you probably want the $1400 Dynamic Handling Package. Putting the X3 in Sport mode with the $1400 Dynamic Handling Package will firm it right up.

Actually, the best charm of the CX-5 (IMO) is how light and nimble it feels while still feeling solid and firm.

I do like the handling of the cx5, pretty much the first suv that i feel like driving like a car...
a lot different than the x3 lol...

That's funny, my GT feels pretty soft compared with the old Dodge Stealth, or my bro's 911. Downright squishy compared with the Porsche.

That's funny, my GT feels pretty soft compared with the old Dodge Stealth, or my bro's 911. Downright squishy compared with the Porsche.

The CX-5 is very compliant, especially compared to a sports car, but I would never describe it as "squishy". The suspension is tuned to perform well over a wide variety of conditions. When I loaded mine up with 4 men and a bunch of mountain gear I was impressed that the dampers did not feel overwhelmed (chassis motion was very well controlled in the corners) and, while the chassis hunkered down a little lower, it still had plenty of wheel travel left and did not bottom out, even on the larger bumps at speed. Most cars will get a "overburdened" or "sacked out" feel when loaded to the GVWR limit.

...been driving it for a few days and noticed it has a pretty hard suspension? a little bumpy on some of the rougher roads...
If you just picked up your CX5 from the dealer (congratulations!) check the air pressures in the tires. A number of posters on this forum have reported their vehicles were delivered with 40 lbs. or more of tire pressure. Owners manual recommends 34 all around if I recall correctly.

Although even with 34 or so, it is still a firm ride. But it keeps its composure on bad roads and with heavy loads as Mike pointed out.

Last edited:
If you just picked up your CX5 from the dealer (congratulations!) check the air pressures in the tires. A number of posters on this forum have reported their vehicles were delivered with 40 lbs. or more of tire pressure. Owners manual recommends 34 all around if I recall correctly.

Although even with 34 or so, it is still a firm ride. But it keeps its composure on bad roads and with heavy loads as Mike pointed out.
This is an age-old complaint with Mazda dealerships. Many's the Miata that's been delivered with 50 psi in the tires because that's what the factory puts in them to keep them from flat-spotting on the trip accross the pond!

ah thanks for pointing out...
i should go check all 4 tires tomorrow lol..

Back