Thoughts on Brake Caliper Covers???

Lt Johnny

:
2014 CX-5 GT FWD
I've had my CX-5 about 3 weeks. I'm going to be ordering my new 20" wheels and tires this week. At first I was going to have my brake calipers simply painted red when I have the wheels and tires installed, however, I found caliper covers availible for CX-5's by MHP. According to the manufacturer, they help cool the calipers and decrease brake dust which I can definitely appreciate. (Another way to reduce brake dust is switch to porcelain brake pads... Makes a huge difference! Back to the Caliper Covers, any thoughts positive or negative you know to be factual about these???

I cant see how they help cool as they trap the hot air in there and dont let them be air cooled. They could help with break dust though i suppose

So much fail in that post. Don't even know where to begin...

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

I suspect you mean calipers by MGP not MHP. However, I don't see how caliper covers will help with either cooling or brake dust. It is something else to get in the way of air circulation, and not large enough to try and stop the dust. If you must have them colored, paint them. Unless this is a show car, no one will ever get close enough to see how good (or not so good) the paint job is and where the edges of the paint are.

I think they may look good.. As for cooling, they may act as a heat sink.. However, just the thought of having them sitting there while the car goes 70MPH, just a rock or any debris that can get there with literally destroy your rotor/caliper.

I painted mine red on my Mazda3, and it does look good and is cheaper.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be painting them.

And SayNoPistons, if I have any red caliper paint left over, maybe I'll try my luck at hand painting some pin stripes on one of your Mazda's... (asshole)

HaHaHa Always a good time on these forums! :D

The fact that you brought up poser caliper covers is plain hilarious. Your thought of them actually "cooling" the brakes and decreasing brake dust makes it even more funny.

I think they may look good.. As for cooling, they may act as a heat sink.. However, just the thought of having them sitting there while the car goes 70MPH, just a rock or any debris that can get there with literally destroy your rotor/caliper.

I painted mine red on my Mazda3, and it does look good and is cheaper.

I used the G2 caliper paint kit... It is cheap, easy to apply, has great looks and lasts long, if the job is well done. I used the red color as well, with white decals, and the red had a really nice look to it.

Go for it!

I think the g2 is among the best but i did it on my mazda3 when it was only a month old and it had a few chips after 2.5 years and 45k miles. I also put decals on the caliper over the paint and used a high temp gloss to cover it all.

@ SayNoTo Pistons... We're refering to our CX-5's which is my case is my DD. Now your RX-8 is a different animal and I could see replacing the OEM's with Brembro's or something of the like especially since it's a project of yours. Unit a few days ago, never even heard of a caliper cover. Mine being dark grey, and going to matte gunmettal colored wheels, I thought some red in there would pop. And for the record... The manufacturer made those claims regarding dust & cooling, not me. And yes I do know that not everything you read on the internet is true unless you read it on this forum LOL Not that you questioned it, but when you run nicer wheels, the porcelain pads dramatically reduce brake dust which I know to be fact from personal experience of several past vehicles.

@ Fred & Nizzy, thank you both for the caliper paint reccomendation!

Back