Curt hitch installation instructions

:
23 CX-5 Premium
I just finished installing a Curt #12080 on my 2013 Touring FWD and I wanted to offer a few tips which I don't believe have been adequately covered here or in Curt's installation sheet. First off, here's a link to a more complete installation guide on Curt's web site: https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/12080/installsheet/CM_12080_INS.PDF
It may be helpful to some to have some actual pictures of the process. What I want to focus on here is page 5 of the guide, which is the only thing Curt supplies in the box with the hitch. There are 6 installation steps at the bottom of the page. Here they are with my comments, if I have any, in red:
1. Lower the exhaust for ease of install. HAH; I'd like to see you get this thing in place WITHOUT dropping the exhaust!
(Remove 4 rubber hangers to lower the exhaust.) When they say "remove" they mean it! tried just slipping the hangers off at the muffler end and leaving them on the car and it quickly became apparent that there were about four too many things in the way of getting the hitch in place. At the top of the page there is a "rubber isolator removal diagram" which suggests a method of removing the hangers using a 5/8" open end wrench and a pry bar. I found it totally useless, but I did figure out a way to use successively thicker 1/2" open end wrenches to get between the isolator and the hanger rod to pry the isolator off. Don't forget to use plenty of WD-40 and let it set for a bit before trying to get them off. Also, when you drop the exhaust, let it down gently til it reaches the bottom of its natural travel. I was a bit leary about putting stress on the exhaust joints, but the system seems to handle this minor abuse well and you will need for it to be as low as it will go in order to get the hitch up over the trailing edge of the muffler.
2-3. Fishwire and reverse fishwire instructions: I have nothing to add here, their instructions are spot on!
4. Raise the hitch into position and secure using the 1/2-13 hex flange nuts. First off, you have no business tackling this job if you don't have a helper. I'm surprised that hasn't been stressed more than it has on the forum to date. It will take a person on either end of this thing to wrestle it (at an angle) up and over the muffler and then to get the outer corners past the underside of the bumper valance, line up the bolt holes and feed the fishwire throught the holes. Once the carraige bolts are fed though the mounting holes in the hitch, you'll want to (carefully) remove the fishwire from the bolt thread and hand install the flange nuts. All very carefully while the other person is doing the same thing on the other side. Oh, one other thing that is not mentioned at all in the instructions, is that somewhare during this step you'll want to reinstall the two rear muffler hangers on the car as well as on the muffler. Do this prior to getting all the flange nuts in place, because if you don't, you'll be left with about 3/8" of clearance on either side to get a 1.5" wide rubber isolator in place! Also, be careful not to get the trailing edge of the muffler heatshield caught on the leading edge of the hitch; it's easy to do.
5. Torque all 1/2-13 fasteners to 75 lb-ft
6. Reinstall the exhaust and the rubber isolators removed in step 1. Actually, you'll only be reinstalling the front isolators as you've already done the rears in the process of completing step 4 above.
Good luck! It's a quality product and the finished installation is very well hidden. It's just a little more of a chore than some here have made it out to be.

Last edited:
Excellent post and I concur on all points especially in having assistance, I would however not suggest the use of WD-40 as its petroleum based and me thinks it would attack the rubber and degrade after a time.

This is awesome because I was just thinking Mazda wanted 590 to install a hitch for me. I am quite handy so I know I could install this myself. These instructions are great. the one question I have is about why you need to have fishwire? what is the point of this? Is it just an ease of use thing for installing?

NM just seen why? Looks like it would be hard to get those bolts into the frame without fishing wire!! Now the real question is how hard is the wiring harness to put in for the electrical. I am being told by Mazda that their guys take about 2 hours to install the wiring and it all has to be tapped into. There is no existing wiring harness you can clip into you have to T - Tap the other proper lines!

Caspan, absolutely.

Matter of fact you cannot set the carriage bolt and mounting plate in place without them unless you are Houdini. The only opening to the frame with which place the hardware is from the larger of the three holes, and the fish wire makes this possible. You must do the farthest hole and bolt combo first and then, using what Curt calls the "reverse fish wire technique", you place the bolt into the larger frame hole. As paris1 has mentioned, leave the wire on when installing the hitch to the frame, it'll help you guide the bolt in through the hitch mounting plate and if you mess up and knock the bolt back into the frame you can retrieve it without a problem.

I beg to differ: 5. Torque all 1/2-13 fasteners to 110 lb-ft. found on the last page

We're both right. The one on the web site shows 110# while the one that comes with the product says 75#. Go figure!
Since the internet instructions are dated almost a year later than the ones in the box, I would go with the 110# figure.
However, when I asked Curt Customer Service about it, I got this response: It’s 75ft-lbs. the 110 is for the new grade 8 hardware that is coming with the hitch.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your tips & advise. New rims & tires going on tomorrow or Tuesday. And next month hopefully a Curt hitch & new bike rack.

I posted this in another thread, but this would be helpful here:

"Installed a Curt Class III hitch today for a bike rack. Great fit, and it would have been a very easy install except...

CAUTION! when you raise the hitch in place, make sure you don't push the fished bolts into the frame-rail by accident. You will use lots of profanity as you try to fish the bolt out of the frame-rail so that you can re-fish it back into the bolt-hole."

Did that a couple times, it is worth getting an extendable magnet, worked great for me.

"Installed a Curt Class III hitch today for a bike rack. Great fit, and it would have been a very easy install except...

CAUTION! when you raise the hitch in place, make sure you don't push the fished bolts into the frame-rail by accident. You will use lots of profanity as you try to fish the bolt out of the frame-rail so that you can re-fish it back into the bolt-hole."

Did that a couple times, it is worth getting an extendable magnet, worked great for me.

This is why you should leave the fish wires on the bolts when raising the hitch up and onto the bolts...

Curt Class III Hitch

Wish I had read this before proceeding with only the Curt instructions, but there's still a slight error in the instructions above and grevious oversight in the Curt-provided instructions. I was worried about the effects of lubricating the isolators and was able to get them off by hand without any lubricants, with some twisting and pushing, without gumming things up, but afterwords felt like I'd done a bunch of upside-down pushups.

After this step, the isolaters were still attached to the muffler, but off of the frame. They seemed to move easier off of the frame hangers than muffler hangers. After the muffler is lowered, either before or after fishing the bolts, take the rear-most isolators off of the muffler assembly and reinstall them on the frame. DO THIS BEFORE YOU LIFT THE HITCH INTO POSITION. Otherwise, as noted above, you'll have about 8mm of space to install a 25mm isolator. Once the hitch is up, while the bolts are still hand-tight, you may have to shift the hitch a little bit to equalize the distance between the isolater hangers and the hitch frame, I figured that once they were equidistant, the hitch was centered. Took about 40 minutes with helper, would have taken 25 minutes and much less profanity without the extra steps of unbolting, lowering, re-fishwiring bolts, reinstalling the hitch.

Was a bike-rack-only job, did not install a wiring harness.

Last edited:
Just installed the Curt hitch and found that my old drum brake pliers worked great for removing the rubber hangers. I have a few pair so free for me but even if you have to buy a cheap pair they are about a foot long and you can find them for under $10. Use the single point of the curved 'jaw' on the muffler hanger since that post is hollow and it will hold it in place. Then the other part of the 'jaw' to press the hanger off. This took seconds to do but a few minutes to figure out. No damage to hanger and left the hanger connected up top as it should be for re installing. I should mention that I sprayed the hangers down with silicone spray before starting as others did.

I installed the Curt hitch a few weeks ago and this helped a ton. Has anyone installed the Curt T-Harness for the trailer lights? I found a thread about a month ago that had some good pictures of the panel removal, but I can't seem to find it now :(

I installed the Curt hitch a few weeks ago and this helped a ton. Has anyone installed the Curt T-Harness for the trailer lights? I found a thread about a month ago that had some good pictures of the panel removal, but I can't seem to find it now :(

Did you happen to see my post earlier in this thread? I have posted the Mazda Service guide for how to do this here

Mazda Install Instructions For Wiring Harness for CX-5

I hope this helps

I did, thanks. The thread I was talking about had pictures someone had taken. I went with the Curt harness because I think it's plug and play, as opposed to tapping into wires on a new car. I'm confident in my abilities, but something about wires on a new car makes me nervous haha!

Back