Push Button Start - Engine on to ACC?

I feel really stupid for asking this, but for those of you who have the push button start, when the engine is running, how do you go to ACC mode? Sometimes I'll be on a call and will want to shut off the engine but not kill the accessories. Pushing the button while pressing/not pressing the brake shuts down the entire car. Is this even possible?

In the Smart Start Guide:
Activate Accessories (ACC) by pushing the START/STOP button once without pushing the clutch or brake pedal.

What I have found, is that when I stop if I press the power button it shuts off. Even if it is in park with the foot off the break, I have to press it again to get in the ACC mode. This isn't an issue for me but I believe the OP was looking for a way around this.

In the Smart Start Guide:
Activate Accessories (ACC) by pushing the START/STOP button once without pushing the clutch or brake pedal.
This is when the car is already off, not when the engine is running.
What I have found, is that when I stop if I press the power button it shuts off. Even if it is in park with the foot off the break, I have to press it again to get in the ACC mode. This isn't an issue for me but I believe the OP was looking for a way around this.

Yeah, I don't think there is a way to get from Engine to ACC without first turning off the car completely.

Yeah turn off the car & then turn back on to ACC. The marvels of technology, can't get it to do what we want it to so.
Personally I don't mind a knob to turn & start the car. I forget to turn off the car sometimes bc I thought I pushed the button to turn off but it's still on.

Some vehicles do what the OP is asking. But, they require two button presses to turn everything off, or a door lock. The CX-5 isn't quite that advanced.

Yeah turn off the car & then turn back on to ACC. The marvels of technology, can't get it to do what we want it to so.
Personally I don't mind a knob to turn & start the car. I forget to turn off the car sometimes bc I thought I pushed the button to turn off but it's still on.

I prefer the keyless system in my girlfriend's 07 Sentra to the push-buttons. It has a knob on the steering column where the ignition would be that operates in the same fashion as a key in a traditional ignition.

If I remember correctly: with it running, leave it in Drive or N, foot on the brake, and push the button to stop, it will shut the engine off but keep the ACC on. Then shift to park (important step).

Also important to then hit the stop button again once you are done. It will shut everything off after about 25 minutes even if you don't but when you walk away and hit the lock button it won't lock your doors if it is still in ACC mode.

Not sure how you do it in a MT.

I had the same issue with wanting to finish a call but not wanting to sit with the engine running.

Trevor
Mazda CX-5 Accessories

Last edited:
I prefer the keyless system in my girlfriend's 07 Sentra to the push-buttons. It has a knob on the steering column where the ignition would be that operates in the same fashion as a key in a traditional ignition.
My 2012 cx-9 has the same feature, it's more convienent to get to the acc mode.

I feel really stupid for asking this, but for those of you who have the push button start, when the engine is running, how do you go to ACC mode? Sometimes I'll be on a call and will want to shut off the engine but not kill the accessories. Pushing the button while pressing/not pressing the brake shuts down the entire car. Is this even possible?

I can only speak for the automatic engine, but when you park, you put it in neutral then pres the start/stop-button and the engine shuts down while the power is still operateble. Just remember to put the transmisson to park after (spin) To completely shut the power or ACC if you will just press the start/stop-button once without pressing the break-pedal.

If I remember correctly: with it running, leave it in Drive or N, foot on the brake, and push the button to stop, it will shut the engine off but keep the ACC on. Then shift to park (important step).

Also important to then hit the stop button again once you are done. It will shut everything off after about 25 minutes even if you don't but when you walk away and hit the lock button it won't lock your doors if it is still in ACC mode.

Not sure how you do it in a MT.

I had the same issue with wanting to finish a call but not wanting to sit with the engine running.

Trevor
Mazda CX-5 Accessories

I can only speak for the automatic engine, but when you park, you put it in neutral then pres the start/stop-button and the engine shuts down while the power is still operateble. Just remember to put the transmisson to park after (spin) To completely shut the power or ACC if you will just press the start/stop-button once without pressing the break-pedal.

Solid. I'm heading out in a few minutes so I'll give this a shot and see if it works. Thanks guys!

Don't the customization options allow for the shut down sequence to be changed (by the dealer)? I had my dealer make this change on my Mazda3. 1 button press goes to ACC, a second press shuts off. I haven't had them do it with my CX-5 yet, but I thought I saw it in the manual.

to go into ACC only mode in manual, just dont press the clutch then press start button

With a manual it's easy. Engine running, clutch in, pull up the parking brake tight, select a gear and pop the clutch. ACC will on, engine is off. Just don't do it when there is a large object in front of you or a bunch of people around.

Another advantage to aftermarket Bluetooth, I'm not tied to the car's software.

With a manual it's easy. Engine running, clutch in, pull up the parking brake tight, select a gear and pop the clutch. ACC will on, engine is off. Just don't do it when there is a large object in front of you or a bunch of people around.

Effectively making the car stall; this does work but i dont like doing that. I would imagine this would damage the car, maybe the transmission or maybe some mounts, i dont know, but it feels damaging...

Since there doesn't appear to be a good way of doing this on a Manual transmission (other than making the car stall) i have been looking for alternative methods of accomplishing this. The main accessory i want to keep powered is my aftermarket radio; any other accessories i want to remain powered get their trigger from the radio. So if i can retain power for the radio i am happy.

I found a universal trigger from Metra (Axxess) which can be used for adding a 'turn off delay' http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=2

I am thinking if i add this behind the radio, utilizing this device in mode 7 for the ACC wire, the stereo will remain powered for 2 seconds after turning off the ignition. I suspect that will provide enough time to hit the push button start again to get the ACC powered back up before the device finally shuts down. If i get this all hooked up and working i will make a "How To: keep stereo powered while going from Engine-On to Engine-Off back to ACC"

Engine on to ACC (on a 2014 AT): Don't put the car into 'park' before pressing the button to turn the engine off. The engine seems to stop, but the accessories are still working. Then put the car into park after the engine is off.

Back