Pic and Measurement Request for Curt Hitch

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
Hello CX5 Owners.

Ive read that some of you have installed the Curt Hitch and I was hoping a current owner can take some measurements and post back. Id like to know the dimensions of this hitch (see attachment) be it mounted or currently lying around. Next time you are under the car, you can easily use a measuring tape to get a rough measurement I would REALLY appreciate it! :)
2013 CX5 Curt Hitch III.jpg

On another note, etrailer has a Curt class II and class III, which appears to be identical exact a 1.25 receiver on the class II and 2 receiver on the class III. Anyone here have the class III? Its also strange that Curts own website does not list the class III in their catalog nor do they have any class III for the CX5. Anyone know why??

Curt class II
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Mazda/CX-5/2013/C12080.html?vehicleid=2013308720
Curt class III
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Mazda/CX-5/2013/C13127.html?vehicleid=20138678

Thank!

I have a Class II in the box sitting in the cargo area awaiting install. I can give you those if you want (I misread the OP).

Last edited:
Thanks. Not sure how I missed that!?

I have a Class II in the box sitting in the cargo area awaiting install. I can give you those if you want (I misread the OP).
Yes! That would be awesome! The class II and III seem to be identical except for the receiver size so these dimensions would the same -except for the receiver.. Thanks a lot!

Thanks. Not sure how I missed that!?

Yes! That would be awesome! The class II and III seem to be identical except for the receiver size so these dimensions would the same -except for the receiver.. Thanks a lot!

It seems that Class II receiver tube is longer than Class III.
Curt Hitch compare.jpg

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Class II vs the Class III? I am a novice when it comes to these things. Eventually I would like to get a 5x10 trailer to haul crap around when I need to. I guess my question is "why would someone get the class II when the class III is available?" Isn't the class III easier to get accessories for?

It seems that Class II receiver tube is longer than Class III.
View attachment 201247

To me, it seems the “length” or protruding receive tube are about the same length. I think you may have the impression that is it longer b/c the class II receiver opening is smaller (1.25”) so when scaled to the length of the extension, it seems longer. The class III receiver opening is wider (2”) so it seems shorter in scale to the extension. It just looks like Curt welded on a different size receiver and called it a day. I’m not so confidant this class III is a true class III in terms of tow/tongue limit but it does make me think the Class II is more capable than a typical class II.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Class II vs the Class III? I am a novice when it comes to these things. Eventually I would like to get a 5x10 trailer to haul crap around when I need to. I guess my question is "why would someone get the class II when the class III is available?" Isn't the class III easier to get accessories for?
It all comes down to weight. The higher the class rating, the higher the ”Rated” tow and tongue limits, which btw is a general reference guide as the tongue is always calculated at exactly 10% of tow. Big advantage to 2” receivers is having access to a larger selection of accessories but if you don’t need it and only plan on light use, Class II is fine for most users. I can't argue the "why not" when the difference in cost is so minimal ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tow_hitch

Last edited:
Class II is 1.25" and the Class III is 2". Class 3 has a higher weight capacity than 2 does. Thats about it. Remember, the CX can only pull 2k lbs.

I already have class III accessories from my previous car so I'm going to buy class III hitch. Also, there are less chances of twisting with class III when you are using accessories like carriers and bike racks.

Same here. I'll get the curt class 3 hitch from amazon and then a platform bike carrier to follow.

I ordered a class 3 last night from etrailers.com I will also be using a platform carrier as I did with my Mazda 3 that had a class 2 curt.

I ordered a class 3 last night from etrailers.com I will also be using a platform carrier as I did with my Mazda 3 that had a class 2 curt.

Did you get the curt hitch? What brand of platform carrier so you have and so you like it and recommend it? I'm looking at and the hollywood, swagman and Sportrack platform carriers now. Thanks.

Class II is 1.25" and the Class III is 2". Class 3 has a higher weight capacity than 2 does. Thats about it. Remember, the CX can only pull 2k lbs.
Most importantly the CX5 is build on a unibody car chassis, not a real ladder frame like trucks. Also, the CX5’s transmission is built for a street car and the brakes are not sized for heavy duty stopping. Class III is rated to tow up to 5,000 lbs but I sure as heck would not want to go anywhere near that... So the class III hitch is more capable than the car can handle -IMO.

Oh, someone please post measurements! :)

To me, it seems the length or protruding receive tube are about the same length. I think you may have the impression that is it longer b/c the class II receiver opening is smaller (1.25) so when scaled to the length of the extension, it seems longer. The class III receiver opening is wider (2) so it seems shorter in scale to the extension.
I'm not sure that my impression is wrong. Definitely, Hidden Hitch III is more hidden than Curt's II. The one on the left is Curt and Hidden Hitch is on the right.

Curt Hitch - Hidden Hitch compare.jpg

I'm not sure that my impression is wrong. Definitely, Hidden Hitch III is more hidden than Curt's II. The one on the left is Curt and Hidden Hitch is on the right.

View attachment 201248
I agree with you that the HH/DT is more hidden than the Curt but earlier you were comparing the Curt II vs Curt III, which are the same length.

Oh another note, am I the only one who thinks a "hidden" hitch is an oxymoron? I like my hitch to be shown (singing manly man song with my chest out). I kid, this coming from a guy driving a Mazda5. Different preference for different folks, which is why it is great to have options!

To me, a hitch is a necessary eyesore and I'd would prefer to have it 'hidden' as much as I can. Since I already decided on class III, I rather pay more for hidden hitch if it's less visible. Since there is no picture on etrailer for Curt III to clearly compare two, I either have to wait for someone to post a picture or just go with hidden hitch.

Last edited:
To me, a hitch is a necessary eyesore and I'd would prefer to have it 'hidden' as much as I can. Since I already decided on class III, I rather pay more for hidden hitch if it's less visible. Since there is no picture on etrailer for Curt III to clearly compare two, I either have to wait for someone to post a picture or just go with hidden hitch.
See pics here.
https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/13127/installsheet/CM_13127_INS.PDF

Though this is listed as a class III (prob bc of the receiver opening), notice the install manual rates it with weight limits as a class II!!

Last edited:
Back