Kayaking and the CX-5

Scott R

:
'07 CX-7
I found some threads talking about installing roof racks for kayaks, but I can't find any photos (anywhere) showing kayaks actually on top of a CX-5. I realize that kayaks come in a variety of lengths, but I'm trying to gauge how well these can be secured to the roof of a CX-5. Post your photos!

As an added bonus: We're interested in getting a CX-5, but don't have one yet. Nor do we have kayaks yet. We live in CT close to the Farmington River and want to take advantage of that for some fun and exercise. For all of you kayaking experts out there, feel free to offer up your suggestions on some of the following topics:
- Whether we should start out just renting our kayaks from a fairly-local place vs buying our own
- Whether we should start out by buying some cheapo kayaks vs a better brand/model
- Particular recommendations for kayaks (length, make/model, with general pricing estimates). We'll be using this primarily on the Farmington River and won't be using these (at least not for a while) in particularly strong currents.
- Particular recommendations for mounts. I'm assuming we'd be starting out with the stock Mazda roof rails, but if we'd actually be better off by *not* getting the Mazda roof rails and getting a completely after-market system, let me know.

Thanks!

I got the Rhino Racks ("European style" - whatever that means) for my CX5 - installed myself - they are Black and very minimalistic which I like. Also from Autoanything they are not too expensive. I have use these racks for plywood sheets, drywall sheets (I hauled two home - very slowly) and my surfboards.
I'm sure I could easily strap one kayak down to them - maybe two side by side - not sure.

FWIW - I don't like a lot of roof attachments I find one could strap almost anything to roof racks, if you are careful, without attachments

Nice to see another kayak fan in the mix.
I chose not to get the factory rails, partially because I'm cheap (I had removable Thule racks from my previous car) and partially out of vanity (I guess I could have painted them black to match my CX5); so I put on the roof racks only on weekends when I need them to carry the yak. If I leave them on the car it takes 2-4mpg off my highway fuel economy.

I also went the extra mile and got the top of the car wrapped in vinyl to protect the paint from sand. post #72 on this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123816886-CX-5-Clear-Bra-anyone&p=6127122#post6127122 On my previous car, sand from the kayak made some horrible scratches on the roof and "wing". Of course, you may not have this problem if you are kayaking freshwater and are being careful to brush off the kayak before loading up.

Kayak choice is a more personal choice, and I can only speak for fishing models as this is what I use the kayak for. I have a Hobie Revolution 11 and love it. Hobies are not cheap kayaks because of the mirage drive (pedals) but its the best mix of paddling/pedaling I have experienced and it allows me to cover long distances with my hands free for handling rods/reels/fish.

What kind of kayaking are you into? Rapids? Fishing? Slow touring?

Last edited:
Scott, Lots of good questions but regarding the fit of the kayak on the car, it's going to be similar to most other cars of similar size, Escape, CRV, RAV4. The kayak will strap around the boat and to the 2 crossbars as well as bow/stern lines from the ends of the boat to the frame of the car. Some folks use the threaded eye for this but I've had great success using an anchor point under the hood. I don't have any pics currently but I planning to paddle on Saturday so I'll try to remember to snap a couple.

Regarding a purchase, head down to Collinsville Canoe. They are close to you and very well respected. There are a variety of models available for different uses and body sizes. Avoid going cheap since you end up with a heavier, less comfortable model that is harder to paddle. You're going out to have fun, don't make it a sufferfest. I would recommend a demo day or a rental where you can try a few different styles. A couple of lessons will also payoff in the long run. Keep this in mind though, LONGER KAYAKS/CANOES ARE EASIER TO LOAD AND PADDLE. Don't let the length scare you off in the store.

Regarding the actual racks, the factory crossbars will only give you the ability to carry 2 kayaks in a J-cradle. The crossbars are quite narrow and place inboard on the car making loading and tying down the kayaks more difficult as well. You will want to get the kayak mounts as close to the side of the vehicle as possible. You should plan to attach aftermarket crossbars (Yakima, Whispbar, Thule) to the raised rails and get more versatility and greater options. There are also systems that attach to the "naked roof". The "naked" options grab the door opening can be stronger than the rails but look less integrated. Usually getting the rear crossbar closer to the back of the car will ease loading but the hatch and spoiler design of the CX5 will minimize that advantage.

I found some threads talking about installing roof racks for kayaks, but I can't find any photos (anywhere) showing kayaks actually on top of a CX-5. I realize that kayaks come in a variety of lengths, but I'm trying to gauge how well these can be secured to the roof of a CX-5. Post your photos!

As an added bonus: We're interested in getting a CX-5, but don't have one yet. Nor do we have kayaks yet. We live in CT close to the Farmington River and want to take advantage of that for some fun and exercise. For all of you kayaking experts out there, feel free to offer up your suggestions on some of the following topics:
- Whether we should start out just renting our kayaks from a fairly-local place vs buying our own
- Whether we should start out by buying some cheapo kayaks vs a better brand/model
- Particular recommendations for kayaks (length, make/model, with general pricing estimates). We'll be using this primarily on the Farmington River and won't be using these (at least not for a while) in particularly strong currents.
- Particular recommendations for mounts. I'm assuming we'd be starting out with the stock Mazda roof rails, but if we'd actually be better off by *not* getting the Mazda roof rails and getting a completely after-market system, let me know.

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the comments so far. I will need to re-read and digest them.

What kind of kayaking are you into? Rapids? Fishing? Slow touring?
Initially, we'll be in the "slow touring" category I think. I'd like to eventually graduate to something more choppy later and possibly use them at the shore (during a vacation - we live about an hour from the shore). We actually have a reservoir behind our house (have to climb up a hill and then down a steep drop to get to it) which I want to make use of, and fishing might even be a possibility at some point, but I don't think spending a lot on one with foot pedals makes sense for us initially. I'd probably like to keep the weight down as much as possible (without spending a fortune).

Regarding a purchase, head down to Collinsville Canoe. They are close to you and very well respected. There are a variety of models available for different uses and body sizes. Avoid going cheap since you end up with a heavier, less comfortable model that is harder to paddle. You're going out to have fun, don't make it a sufferfest. I would recommend a demo day or a rental where you can try a few different styles. A couple of lessons will also payoff in the long run. Keep this in mind though, LONGER KAYAKS/CANOES ARE EASIER TO LOAD AND PADDLE. Don't let the length scare you off in the store.
Yes, I am familiar with Collinsville Canoe. We rented some kayaks from them and tooled around in the river behind them for a few hours. Please do post some photos when you can. I'll probably have follow-up questions about the roof rack comments later, as I only half-understood what you were even talking about. :)

Last edited:
I'm taking my dad kayaking this weekend, I'll post pics with two Hobies on the roof racks of my CX5 and maybe some pics on the water (headbang)

Headed out tomorrow. Here are some pics.
Custom Whispbar bar system w/ Yakima Bowdown folding kayak mount. I use the Skybox to hold the paddles and wet gear. There's potential to fit 2 kayaks and the box if I used a Stacker type kayak mount. You have to watch the weight limits though.
IMG_20130308_171034_264.jpg

Kayak loaded PH Dephin (about 15.5 feet long)
IMG_20130308_171923_200.jpg

IMG_20130308_171909_950.jpg

IMG_20130308_171845_825.jpg

Pic of the front anchor. Solid, simple, cheap. Anytime you drive highway speeds you should bow/stern secondary lines. The stern line goes to the hitch.
IMG_20130308_171147_537.jpg

Last edited:
As promised, a few pictures.
Here is a Hobie Sport and a Hobie Revolution11 tied to the roof rack. This was the first time I ever tried to put two kayaks on the roof and I DO NOT advise anyone do so the same way I did. Had I planned this right I would have asked a friend with a pickup to assist us. We ended up tying across the hulls with two staps and through the hulls (hobie drivewell) with another strap. We drove slow and took city streets most of the way.

20130309070337445.jpg

20130309070347310.jpg

20130309070358569.jpg

In the future, I will get some "j" racks like rjdee has if I am going to be transporting two kayaks.

Guys, I just wanted to stop in to say that you probably won't be seeing me around here anymore. My wife and I ended up purchasing a used/certified 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited instead. I posted in another thread some of the reasons, so I won't bother restating them here. But hopefully this thread will live on and be of great use to other CX-5 / kayaking enthusiasts!

I started a new post, but figured I would add my question here too. I plan on carrying two kayaks on my CX-5 and need anchor points for the bow and stern lines. I see above a good solution for the bow line. Any ideas where to anchor stern lines if your CX-5 does not have a trailer hitch? Thanks.

-batou

I started a new post, but figured I would add my question here too. I plan on carrying two kayaks on my CX-5 and need anchor points for the bow and stern lines. I see above a good solution for the bow line. Any ideas where to anchor stern lines if your CX-5 does not have a trailer hitch? Thanks.
-batou

There is a tie down anchor point in the front and rear bumpers, the eyelets are in the trunk next to your tires.

batou

Another option on the rear tiedown, I learned last year and I think it works well.

Tie a large loop 12-18" circumference in your rear tiedown strap.
Open the rear hatch and loosely drape the loop around the hatch latch so the Ubolt is in the center of the webbing loop.
Shut the hatch tightly. Hopefully you've put everything you need in the back already.
Tug the strap tight against the latch and then anchor the boat to it.

I'll get pictures later since the sun isn't cooperating with my phone camera.

Note: I would only use this method when you have a solid roof rack and the bow/stern lines are your secondary lines. This method can also be used on the hood latch but I like the fender bolt anchors better.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll try to get the answers here - I did not get roof rails on my CX-5. after swapping out our previous "trip" car for a smaller car, the CX-5 will become the one that we use to transport the kayak. I thought going with foam blocks would make sense, but I'm used to tying the kayak onto the roof rails to secure it. What do I tie the kayak to if I'm using foam blocks w/o rails? bow and stern tie ups? Open the doors and tie it to the roof of the car? Other?

Last edited:
I would use bow and stern tie downs for sure but you're going to need something to stabilize the kayak laterally as well. I would personally install a rack with crossbars, it's not worth risking damaging your vehicle or potentially some pretty expensive kayaks.

I had a Yakima rack with control towers and 48" crossbars and used it often to transport my kayak and SUP. It worked great because the spread between the bars is higher on the CX5 so its perfect for longer items like that. Just my $.02.

Back