2014 CX-5 Hood TSB?

Monozub

:
Mazda, CX-5 2014 Touring AWD
Hi everyone, I just got 2014 2.5L Touring CX-5 (two days old), today I noticed hood vibration on uneven road at about 55 mph. It does not vibrate all the time, only when I drive over some uneven parts of the road. Is there TSB? I searched this forum and also on the web and could not find straight answer. What should I do, take it to my dealer or this is useless at this point. I see a lot of people talking about this problem, also about driver side mirror. Mine does not bother me so much at this point, I got slight vibration. So my question is, is this problem suppose to be fixed on late models or everybody still affected? Thanks

First, congrats and welcome!

Second, re the Mazda shake (lol) The jury is out on this one. Some people are saying that their dealer has fixed it, others not. My experience: I asked and the dealer couldn't find anything on a TSB in his computer. It doesn't bother me that much and I was in a hurry so I said I'd follow up at a future appointment. Reading the threads here, some say that they have it fixed, but some of the fixes sound wildly different, some got new parts such as hood mounts or new mirrors, others say just a stiffener was glued on, etc., it doesn't point to a consistent, concerted fix like you'd expect to see if there was an official TSB (of which no one has yet posted a reference number or document or anything -- there must be some Mazda insiders here!) so I'd say an official TSB doesn't exist, but rather some dealers are attempting to fix the problem either on their own or in conjunction with Mazda; but there is no definite one size fits all fix as of yet.. Just my two cents, perhaps I am misinterpreting what I see on the forum and my experience with one dealer. You may just want to ask your dealer and see what they're prepared to do for you, especially since you just bought it. They are probably still wanting to make you happy, rather than someone like me whom already has been out the door for 7 months. Good luck.

My question is: Have you noticed hood vibration because you've heard about or you just noticed it on your own? I'm asking because I have 2014 and I have slight mirror vibration at higher speeds. If I haven't read about this problem, I'd definitely not pay any attention to it. Also, what you perceive as vibration, might by only hood flexing. Mazda's hood is made out of very thin metal.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, thank you all for involvement. As far as hood, it is only moves when uneven road under the wheels and at speeds in excess of 45mph and I agree, it looks like it flexes. Mirror: it just slightly vibrates at 50mph and on. I took it to the dealer today, for 2014 there is no TSB, they said there was a TSB but for earlier production, as of right now both problems addressed at the factory level. This is all I was able to find for this two issues. But my biggest concern at this time is the stereo head unit and USB functionality. Did anyone have problems with IPOD or flash drive playback through USB port??? Firs of all every time you shut down the vehicle and restart, the IPOD or flash drive will not start where it was when the vehicle was turned off. What if you are listening audio books??? Do I have to search for where I was before I turned off the ignition??? Second, in my case, if I'm driving and decided to switch to the radio mode(like AM/FM) and then switch back to IPOD(Ipod still connected), it cannot find it anymore, I'm just getting blank screen? With flash drive I could at least switch back, with IPOD I have to unplug it and plug it back. I had many cars with IPOD interface in them but never had any issues(BMW, Subaru, Honda, VW). I already addressed this issue with the dealership and Customer Care. Dealer told me that this is how the interface was designed!!! For me it would of been deal breaker if I would know before I got the car. So my question is, is it isolated problem or everyone have the same issues.

I am having the driver side mirror vibrate much more than the passenger one. I have noticed the hood vibration but will look for this the next few times I drive to work. One thing I am experiencing is the steering wheel vibration at 50+ mph.

Well sure enough, I have the same issues. Bought the vehicle 3/2/2013, noticed the issues more while driving on the highway, 55mph+. Driver side mirror vibrates, while the passenger side doesn't and the hood bouncing, same thing. I thought at first it was an illusion since they detailed the car before I took delivery, nice wax job on the hood that is.

I'm taking it to the service center tonight and the service manager wants to ride along as well. While these issues are not all that noticable, or extreme, I personally think they both need fixed. Heck, I just bought the car! (boom01)

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but the hood issue is because of the sheet metal being so thin. Go through a car wash and watch the hood as you drive through the blowers, quite interesting the first few times. The mirror is something you'll get used to, it happens on my '13 as well and wasn't sure if anyone ever got the issue fixed through the dealer. the passenger side mirror does not vibrate which is interesting because you'd think they would have similar construction.

@Monozub, I don't use the usb so I cannot comment on it's performance, but I have an iPhone connected through bluetooth and playback resumes where it left off when ever I cut the car off and then come back to it later. Are you using an iPod Touch? Does it have bluetooth? Can you try a device with bluetooth? If the bluetooth does not resume where you left off there may be a problem. Maybe it is the device? Have you tried a phone instead of an mp3 player? May be the software on the mp3/ipod. Is it updated?

Also, I have an early 2013 model and I have the hood and mirror shakes. Dealer has confirmed both problems but says Mazda doesn't have a fix for either issue yet and to be patient until a fix comes down the line from Mazda about it. Have talked to two dealers in the Knoxville area and I was told the same from both. They said they have tried replacing hoods and mirrors on several other customer's 5's and that is not fixing the issues so they aren't replacing anymore parts until an official fix is released. Sounds like BS to me but at the same time i'd rather not waste my or their time if replacements are going to be doing the exact same thing.

Last edited:
@plemieux, there are others here that have had the bracket behind the mirror replaced, this was the fix for the '13. Mine is vibrating much more than the passenger one and have setup an appointment for the dealer in the morning. Funny thing when I went in today they asked me to leave it which signaled more than just a look see. I will be driving the tech on the highway so he can see it, tired of them taking the car and not seeing anything.

I haven't seen my mirror shake/vibrate at all yet, even tested it to 85 mph. Did it shake since day one, or did it progressively get worse? The hood does bounce some, but makes no noise.

I haven't seen my mirror shake/vibrate at all yet, even tested it to 85 mph. Did it shake since day one, or did it progressively get worse? The hood does bounce some, but makes no noise.

Yep since day one, I had thought nothing of it because it was windy but having the CX5 4 weeks now, I can say the mirror is vibrating.

The '14 I test drove last weekend had pronounced hood shake on the highway. I did not notice any mirror vibration.

I have an '14 & I don't notice any vibrations. I look for them but there's no way the car doesn't 'vibrate' going down the road from the friction of the tires & uneven road surfaces.

I have a 2014 GT as well and I have been looking for this problem after reading the many threads on it, but have not noticed anything. I regularly drive 130km/h (80mph) and have not seen this problem at any speed.

I have a 2014 GT and my hood does bounce way too much. Mention it to the dealer and said I would take him out for a drive to see it. Not really worried about the hood but mentioned that I was not going to be a happy camper if the paint over time starts checking or something because of the bouncing.

I never really thought about paint flexing, but sure, could weaken the paint. I was more consearned about the hinges wiggling or the latch wearing. I will keep an eye on the hinges for any signs of movement.

Back