OK, what is the best highway MPH should I drive to get the best gas mileage?

JohnJr

:
Red Soul CX-5 AWD GT w/tech
Took a little trip this weekend and my gas mileage dropped from avg of 27 for city/hwy to 24 with mostly highway. I will admit I was driving at least 74 MPH. Just wondering where the sweet spot is?

~45 MPH. It goes into 6th (if you have an auto) and hangs the gear in low RPM's. Lower RPM's = higher gas mileage.

Realistically, it's nearly impossible to do 45mph on any interstate for a long period of time. Though doing 50-55mph I can easily manage 40 MPG in a 30 mile trip. Just set MPG display to "Current" and constantly manage the throttle position to get the highest number. Constantly check your AVG for improving scores. Like playing a long and boring game.

Last edited:
On a recent drive to florida, on a flat stretch of highway. With the cruise set at 70, the current MPG was 34.5. With the cruise down to 60-65, it went up to 38.4. 65 degree temps ,2 adults ,2 suitcases,and about 3 duffles.

Jeff

Certainly not 75+ because I just took a trip to Galveston this week from San Antonio. The speed limit between SA and Houston is 75. My average was 30.2 and it was only that high because of the lower limits around Houston and to Galveston.

I think 60 is too high. 45 mph is closer to the sweet spot. As you speed up from that, the mpg will keep dropping.

I think 60 is too high. 45 mph is closer to the sweet spot. As you speed up from that, the mpg will keep dropping.

Thanks for the input but I trying to get a feel for highway driving....I think if I went 45 on the highway I would get pulled over for driving a zoom zoom car too slow on the highway (drunk)

Sure i agree. If you want mpg on the highway just stay at the speed limit and dont go over as well as use cruise control.

i think between 105-110km'h (somewhere between 60-65mph) is the best, i got the max advertised of 6.4 and 6.8L/100KM (35-36mpg~)

Under "normal" highway driving I see good Mpg (29) up to about 65mph. Above that it drops very fast. I get about 26.5 at 72-75mph. 2014 Touring FWD.

Sure i agree. If you want mpg on the highway just stay at the speed limit and dont go over as well as use cruise control.

Though I agree for most drivers, the most efficient way is to use the cruise control at the speed limit.

For me, I can better control throttle positioning and benefit more efficient coasting for hills and such than the cruise control, thus allowing even better MPG.

I had this happen doing 65mph on a road trip between Knoxville, TN and Washington, D.C. Cruise engaged the whole time traffic permitting and little to no a/c use.
01F04914-B309-49F4-96B3-C88307DCE381-7417-0000068487A46F35.jpg

I just got back from taking a trip from Durham, NC to Beaufort, SC. Two adults, one child and a weekend worth of luggage and gear. Locking the cruise into 65MPH and doing some 70 - 75 mph sprints to pass yielded 32MPG (many rest stops) on the way down and 33.8MPG on the way back (less rest stops).

Stop and go traffic on Long Island seems to be the best for greatest MPG. Most of the time my indicator reads "current MPG 99.9" ...;)

Stop and go traffic on Long Island seems to be the best for greatest MPG. Most of the time my indicator reads "current MPG 99.9" ...;)

Uh you're joking right? Stop and go traffic is the worse for MPG. Just cuz you're rolling 10ft without pressing the gas and it saying 99.9MPG doesn't mean it's good, pressing the gas to move and slow down, stop then repeat is worse. Having your car idle not doing anything is worse too, you're wasting gas keeping the engine on and not moving.

Uh you're joking right? Stop and go traffic is the worse for MPG. Just cuz you're rolling 10ft without pressing the gas and it saying 99.9MPG doesn't mean it's good, pressing the gas to move and slow down, stop then repeat is worse. Having your car idle not doing anything is worse too, you're wasting gas keeping the engine on and not moving.
Exactly

Wow, you guys can't see a joke when it's right there in front of you, can you?
Even I know the guy was joking about seeing the mpg display 99.9 every time he has to release the throttle, which is extremely often on the LIE.

BC.

Back