Anyone noticing any oil consumption out there?

:
23 CX-5 Premium
I've got about 4400 miles on my 2013 and am planning on changing the oil (using Mazda "super-moly") at the 5k mark. Right now the dipstick is reading just shy of one pint down. This doesn't concern me as I expect a little consumption using this light of a lubricant, but I was just wondering what the experience of others is on this subject?

13,000 miles and my 2.0 has never used any oil. The oil level is always at the same level on the dip stick.

Could you be leaking oil as opposed to "consuming" it? I have about 11,000 miles on mine, and I seem to have a small leak. It's really a small amount, so I haven't taken it in yet, but apparently I'll need to at some point soon. Haven't really looked to see where the leak is coming from. I do leave small oil stains when I park.

A half quart in 4400 miles on a new engine? Seems excessive...
Not to scrutinize, but I am wondering how you gauged these results.

16K on the odo. on my CX-5, right at one year of service.
Never seen any indication of oil consumption at all. Currently have 3K (IIRC) on this oil, and just checked it recently. Level hasn't dropped at all.

A half quart in 4400 miles on a new engine? Seems excessive...
Not to scrutinize, but I am wondering how you gauged these results.

16K on the odo. on my CX-5, right at one year of service.
Never seen any indication of oil consumption at all. Currently have 3K (IIRC) on this oil, and just checked it recently. Level hasn't dropped at all.
"Double-sticked" prior to dead cold start on level garage floor. 12 oz. bought it to full.

No leaks, no significant usage, no oil added between first 2 oil changes at 7.5K mile intervals. ('13 2.0L)

7,000 miles. Just checked mine yesterday after I saw this post. 2,000 miles since my first oil change and the levels are right where they need to be.

My first oil worried as it was down when I did the first oil change. I'm now into 6000km of the second change and its bang on the mark. Don't waste you money doing it early, as today's oil can easily take 8,000km unless you are doing some serious idling or many short trips. One hour of idling equals 56 kms of driving.

My first oil worried as it was down when I did the first oil change. I'm now into 6000km of the second change and its bang on the mark. Don't waste you money doing it early, as today's oil can easily take 8,000km unless you are doing some serious idling or many short trips. One hour of idling equals 56 kms of driving.
I'm really not worried about those missing 12 oz. I figure that's a reasonable amount of ultra low viscosity oil to consume during break-in and I expect, from my previous experience with Mazda 4-bangers, that that will probably be the extent of its consumption. I'm using schedule 2 for maintenance as most of my driving is in town and I'm fast approaching the 5k miles/6 month point (8047 km). I'll be changing it before I go on a trip to Yosemite National Park in a couple of weeks.

You've gotto be kidding..... my diesel CX-5 is generating oil like a perpetual oil generating machine........ the oil level just keeps on rising!

^ Too bad the oil being generated is not up to snuff (being diesel fuel), but I thought a fix was in process....

Don't believe all you find in forums. Yes Mazda are rolling out an ecu update aimed at resolving the issue. I'll let those awaiting the update decide on whether or not they consider it a fix.

Don't believe all you find in forums. Yes Mazda are rolling out an ecu update aimed at resolving the issue. I'll let those awaiting the update decide on whether or not they consider it a fix.

I wasn't believing the forum gossip, I was just noting fixes implemented by Mazda. To me it comes as no surprise that this very clean diesel (w/o urea treatment) has DPF-related problems, other automakers have similar problems with these complicated and costly technologies to control dirty diesel emissions.

Last edited:
I can see now I should have titled this about oil consumption for GAS ENGINES. You guys in the UK and Australia seem to have plenty of other threads dealing with oil issues on the 2.2l diesel!

The CX-5 uses 0W-20 oil right? I think I saw that written on the filler cap on the CX-5 at the autoshow yesterday. Subaru has oil consumption issues with their engine that takes 0W-20
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f183/2011-excessive-oil-consumption-merged-thread-119562/

Yes, Subaru FB engines found in the Impreza (2L), Forester and now the Outback (the 2.5L NA) are susceptible to some oil consumption, some owners have it worse and some have it in acceptable or negligible level. This is, however, because of the rings which Subaru designed to boost fuel economy by reducing friction to perhaps too low a level.
Some owners have to add oil between oil changes on a brand new engine, well after break-in.

This is not a trait of the oil though. My about to be replaced Honda is using 5w20 with no perceivable oil consumption for years. Few Impreza owners have a tried 0w30 (or maybe 5w30) with no better results.

I also noticed that the engine oil level tends to be higher when it's hot, acts almost like an ATF. I noticed this also with some synthetics I've used in other cars. I checked the oil this morning with a cold engine and it was almost 1/4 low. The wife took it on a shopping trip and I checked it when she got home and it was almost to the full mark.

Back