Front Hood Vibration

I have been observing this in the past few days. While going over uneven surfaces, the center of the front hood in front of the dash actually vibrates up and down. May be this happens in most cars, but the relatively higher driving position of CX-5 causes me to have a good look at the hood. Is this a cause for concern?

Search for that topic, I read a lot about it. I have been watching my hood for signs of bounce. I have yet to get over 60MPH yet, though it doesn't sound that it is really highway speed specific

I actually wouldn't have noticed it except people have said something about it on this forum. Yes, mine does it too. However, there's been no recall so is it really dangerous or just weird?

I actually wouldn't have noticed it except people have said something about it on this forum. Yes, mine does it too. However, there's been no recall so is it really dangerous or just weird?

Their is a TSB (technical service bulletin) in Canada and in US also i think.
More annoying then anything else.

You have to realize the reason you get 650+ KM per tank is because of SkyActive technology in these cars. What this really means is that Mazda has reduced the weight of the entire car as much as they can. Less weight means better fuel economy. So the hood has a lot less structure to it and this is to be expected when you push the envelop of going almost to thin!!

More annoying then anything else.

Mine does it some and I wasn't worried enough to do anything about it and then I started wondering if it could be stressing out welds or other connections with all the movement so I may take it in before the warranty is up.

I have noticed that the paint is beginning to crack along the two 'rises' on each side of the hood. It has to be because of the vibrations weakening the paint. At first I saw what looked like a small scratch on one side, but this morning I noticed a very long crack along the other side in a similar spot. So I went back and looked at the first scratch/crack and sure enough it has expanded to be a lot longer than it was the first time I noticed it.

I will be making a trip to the dealer someday in the next few weeks and I'll show it to them then to see what they have to say.

Trey hope they have some answers, this paint is way too thin as well in my opinion. I don't know though the hood feels just as heavy as other hoods actually the hood on the Altima was lighter than the CX-5.

Anyways if you go to google and type in "hood vibration" you'll get complaints on mainly Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, Jeep and Ford :D saw that the Acura MDX has a shaky hood as well.

I have noticed that the paint is beginning to crack along the two 'rises' on each side of the hood. It has to be because of the vibrations weakening the paint. At first I saw what looked like a small scratch on one side, but this morning I noticed a very long crack along the other side in a similar spot. So I went back and looked at the first scratch/crack and sure enough it has expanded to be a lot longer than it was the first time I noticed it.

I will be making a trip to the dealer someday in the next few weeks and I'll show it to them then to see what they have to say.
Where I work some one has a white 2013 CX5 who also said his paint was cracking, he didn't say where, but it makes sense if it would be the hood. Could be the start of something.

I have noticed that the paint is beginning to crack along the two 'rises' on each side of the hood. It has to be because of the vibrations weakening the paint.
I would be cautious about jumping to conclusions.

Modern automotive paint is very flexible, much more so than in the past.

If the paint is cracking it's much more likely someone has climbed onto the hood. Hoods on modern cars are not designed to be climbed on and can easily deform enough to stress the paint even though they'll probably "pop back" into there previous shape.

Easily deform! I got a fright when I lean on my hood to lift the wipers off before washing, the hood flexed down so much with so little weight. Then again I actually just standing and leaning against the panel behind the rear door and the body panel flexes in. This and jelly mirrors etc, they should have just made a plastic car! When I actually pump my seat up and take a good look at the hood while driving at 60mph, its pretty shocking how much it is rattling.

If the paint is cracking it's much more likely someone has climbed onto the hood. Hoods on modern cars are not designed to be climbed on and can easily deform enough to stress the paint even though they'll probably "pop back" into there previous shape.
Trust me, no one has climbed onto my hood. If they had there would have been obvious evidence of scratching other than these long cracks that are not consistent with footprints or butt prints either. Besides, the cracks are growing over time.

I'm sure Mazda will have some similar theory though on why it is not their fault. Maybe it was designed to do that. (rolleyes)

This and jelly mirrors etc, they should have just made a plastic car!

Actually, a lot of modern cars do have plastic body panels where it makes engineering sense. Nothing wrong with that.

When I actually pump my seat up and take a good look at the hood while driving at 60mph, its pretty shocking how much it is rattling.

I assume English is not your native language. "Rattle" refers to an audible sound. If you have to raise your seat to notice this it would be more accurate to call it "flexing".

Really? You think modern paint is so flexible to the point where it's constantly flexing as much as a quarter of an inch in all kinds of weather, hot and cold, and exposed to all kinds of road shock nothing will happen? Everything breaks if you bend it enough times.
I just took another look at a coworkers CX5 and it has cracks in the same spot as TreyP described, along the rise of the hood on the sides.

Anything vibrating on a car is bad news and needs sorting asap, the result will be fatigue of some sort, either to the metal or plastic along with the paint.

Thin sheet has been around a long time, not just on modern cars, I remember years ago being shocked to find I could leave a thumb print in the rear panel of a Rover car, just by gentle pushing!

Actually, a lot of modern cars do have plastic body panels where it makes engineering sense. Nothing wrong with that.

I assume English is not your native language. "Rattle" refers to an audible sound. If you have to raise your seat to notice this it would be more accurate to call it "flexing".

That is why I said they should have made it plastic! There is nothing wrong with it, where as vibrating metal cars can potentially give a lot of problems further down the line.

The hood is certainly not flexing. I can see the vibrations but only on the upper edge of the hood. If I put my seat up and look down the full length of the hood, I can see the vibration much much more. I wouldnt be surprised if this causes paint issues in the future.

I have to laugh at the Mazda salesman who sold me my car, I asked about an extended warranty and just said "its a Mazda, nothing will go wrong with it".

Anything vibrating on a car is bad news and needs sorting asap, the result will be fatigue of some sort, either to the metal or plastic along with the paint.

Thin sheet has been around a long time, not just on modern cars, I remember years ago being shocked to find I could leave a thumb print in the rear panel of a Rover car, just by gentle pushing!

I remember my 93 RX7 had one hell of a light hood and that sucker was solid. In fact some CF/FG alternatives weighed MORE (maybe 1 or 2 lbs) because they needed extra back bracing.

Back