2013 CX-5 Remote Start Buttons/ Settings

MrThinz

I have a 2013 GT AWD with a remote start.
On the left are the function key, start, and stop. If I select the engine, defroster or both (using the function key) I can then press start to start the car.

Questions:

1) Can I change a setting so then I can open the door without the car engine turning off
2) What do the two buttons on the other side to? One has ". . ." and the other looks like a car with lines coming out the top.

Thanks
Jonathan

I don't have REMOTE START but I researched it. The Mazda RS will always kill the engine when the door opens. It is a.safety function. Seems silly if you have the smart key in possession, but the cars not that smart. IDK what the other buttons do.

The two buttons on the other side are for programming and a car finder. The ... button is used to program the remote. The other will sound the horn and flash the lights, to help you locate the car. I'm surprised you didnt (uhm)try the buttons and find out. It should have come with a book....helps if you read it (hand). As for the not shutting off when the door is opened. There was talk on a different forum board about cutting two wires behind the glove box, which i suppose, will disable the door sensors, thus causing the brake to be the touch point like other remote starts. I have not tried it, as for safety reasons, preschooler, Id rather the car shut off then have him possibly get in while the car is running.

And for those of you on the fence about the OEM remote start vs any others. I researched it, and called around to all my local shops that would install compustart or viper, and none would replace the original smart key, and each of the others would cause you to have to give up one of the two keys anyways. So I purchased the OEM from mazdagear, and I installed it myself in about 10 minutes. I already had the anti-theft alarm with my tech package, so all I had to do was remove the glove box, install the transmitter and connect the wire with the open plug that was already waiting. Attach the sticky tape and mount the transmitter up under the dash. Seriously 10 minutes, and I figure if I had to do it again, I could do it in about 5. Yes the RS fob is big, and has no other functions like unlocking doors, but it serves the purpose of starting the car from in the house on cold mornings, without having to go outside. No if I could only train myself to leave the heater settings on full heat, we'd be in business.

The two buttons on the other side are for programming and a car finder. The ... button is used to program the remote. The other will sound the horn and flash the lights, to help you locate the car. I'm surprised you didnt (uhm)try the buttons and find out. It should have come with a book....helps if you read it (hand). As for the not shutting off when the door is opened. There was talk on a different forum board about cutting two wires behind the glove box, which i suppose, will disable the door sensors, thus causing the brake to be the touch point like other remote starts. I have not tried it, as for safety reasons, preschooler, Id rather the car shut off then have him possibly get in while the car is running.

And for those of you on the fence about the OEM remote start vs any others. I researched it, and called around to all my local shops that would install compustart or viper, and none would replace the original smart key, and each of the others would cause you to have to give up one of the two keys anyways. So I purchased the OEM from mazdagear, and I installed it myself in about 10 minutes. I already had the anti-theft alarm with my tech package, so all I had to do was remove the glove box, install the transmitter and connect the wire with the open plug that was already waiting. Attach the sticky tape and mount the transmitter up under the dash. Seriously 10 minutes, and I figure if I had to do it again, I could do it in about 5. Yes the RS fob is big, and has no other functions like unlocking doors, but it serves the purpose of starting the car from in the house on cold mornings, without having to go outside. No if I could only train myself to leave the heater settings on full heat, we'd be in business.

Very good write up, thanks. Ihave to admit this is the first remote start option, where you really do need to read the book that comes with it to use it correctly. While I agree it is not the best design (having two fobs), I also agree it is the best option if you want a remote start on a CX-5

Heeeeeeeellp!!!

Can anyone please help a Mazda owner from Norway?
I own a 2014 6 with the 2,2 Skyactiv Dieselengine (175hp)
I have bought an OEM remote start system from the US, but when I try to connect it, I see that I am missing the connector behind the glove box.
It is the only connector, aside from the ground/earth. Does anyone know where I can "hook on" to?
If anyone has a wiring diagram I would be so happy.

I have noticed that the 2,2 diesel engine is not available in th US. That is a shame, because it is a fantastic engine, with enormous pulling power (420nm.)

Thanks in advance.

Morten

Can anyone please help a Mazda owner from Norway?
I own a 2014 6 with the 2,2 Skyactiv Dieselengine (175hp)
I have bought an OEM remote start system from the US, but when I try to connect it, I see that I am missing the connector behind the glove box.
It is the only connector, aside from the ground/earth. Does anyone know where I can "hook on" to?
If anyone has a wiring diagram I would be so happy.

I have noticed that the 2,2 diesel engine is not available in th US. That is a shame, because it is a fantastic engine, with enormous pulling power (420nm.)

Thanks in advance.

Morten

Morten,

It sounds like you are missing the harness ~$70.
One end connects to the remote unit (black box where you screw in the anntena) and other end goes to the cable that is already in your car...

All is in the manual. Also, look at the thread about remote install. I found it very helpful.

We just had the OEM remote start installed on our 2014 CX-5 Touring. I find it hard to believe that you can not unlock the doors from the remote start remote. PLEASE tell me that you can, or this thing is going back PRONTO!!!

We just had the OEM remote start installed on our 2014 CX-5 Touring. I find it hard to believe that you can not unlock the doors from the remote start remote. PLEASE tell me that you can, or this thing is going back PRONTO!!!

What ended up happening? We're scheduled to have remote start put on our 15 Touring in a week... I didn't know that you the engine shut off when you open the door. Seems like some unnecessary wear on the starter.

Worst case scenario, I guess I'll see what happens in a week...

to clarify- it turns the engine off when ANY door is opened?

when the car is running, can you use the other fob to open the trunk?

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Sorry it took so long for me to answer. I gave up on the whole thing. Now I will try again. My problem is that the cable that you reffer to, is NOT present. Do you know what this does? Is there anywhere I can hook on to these wires? It must come from somewhere?!!
Is it possible to get hold of a wiring diagram for this? If I had the connecor, the job would be done in 15 mins. Norway gets bloody cold in the winter.:))

Hoping for a helpful reply. Thanks in advance.

Morten

Back