Rear Wiper Piece Broke Off

Mysterio

:
Mazda 2013 CX-5 GT
Hi Everybody,
Long time reader, first time post...

A piece of my rear wiper broke off when I shut the trunk. I'm not sure if the sheer force caused this to snap off? This exact piece also broke off on my buddy's CX-5 as well.
I know this is quite minor and I hope its covered under warranty...but I'm wondering if anybody else experienced this as well?

photo.JPG

Last edited:
Ours was broken as well when we first got it at 11 mi. Noticed when we brought it home. Haven't bothered to complain (yet) since it's minor.

Sounds like you guys have found a stress point where the blade's materials cannot hold up to the peak stress. Since it looks like it is right at joint, which would flex upon impact (i.e. slamming the lift gate), this may well turn out to be a common problem. I doubt Mazda would have a solution. Likely they would replace it with the same part, which may break off again within a few more gate slams.

Might have to find an aftermarket blade/wiper assembly which is made of metal.

A piece of my rear wiper broke off when I shut the trunk. I'm not sure if the sheer force caused this to snap off? This exact piece also broke off on my buddy's CX-5 as well.
I know this is quite minor and I hope its covered under warranty...but I'm wondering if anybody else experienced this as well?

View attachment 201019

I really doubt it broke from the force of shutting the hatch as the wiper is not very heavy.

I have noticed that the rear wiper is unusual in that the blade cannot be "folded out" away from the window (like people do to keep their wipers from freezing to their windshield). If you try to fold it out like that you will meet firm resistance and if you continue to force it away from the car it will break in the same manner as your included photo shows. I suspect that is what happened.

That's the kind of thing that I would never follow up on with a dealer, unless it affected the operation of the wiper.

I really doubt it broke from the force of shutting the hatch as the wiper is not very heavy.

I have noticed that the rear wiper is unusual in that the blade cannot be "folded out" away from the window (like people do to keep their wipers from freezing to their windshield). If you try to fold it out like that you will meet firm resistance and if you continue to force it away from the car it will break in the same manner as your included photo shows. I suspect that is what happened.

Agreed, Mike. Must be exactly how it happens. I've seen more than one (unsold) at the dealer with the exact same break.

Agreed, Mike. Must be exactly how it happens. I've seen more than one (unsold) at the dealer with the exact same break.

That may be due to our living in the freezing upper Midwest. Where they send out people to clean the snow and ice off of the vehicles. Often!!!

^This makes sense. I pulled mine out the other day when washing her. I felt the resistance and stopped pulling. Curious now to see if I creased that spot.

I'll check when the wife gets home.

I believe MikeM. is correct in his theory as well.

Thanks everybody for the feedback.
I have never forced the rear wiper away from the back windshield. However, I suspect this would happen if I did.
In any case, the dealer has agreed to replace it and I'm definitely going to be more careful next time!

If you can't lift the wiper arm off the rear glass, how are you supposed to change the blade?

I have been wondering the same. I noticed many new cars are using these ridiculous covers for the rear wiper.

Latest posts

Back