Show your lowered CX-5

Why would someone lower a CX-5? Probably smarter to just get a 3 instead (shrug)

Why would someone lower a CX-5? Probably smarter to just get a 3 instead (shrug)
Answer: 1) CX-5 has better interior space utilization and rear seat legroom than 3.
2) 3 is a dated chassis, scheduled for replacement with a full SkyActiv design later this year
3) CX-5 design (especialy 2WD version) literally begs for less air space above wheels.
That said, after thorough deliberation, I have decided to forego use of H&R springs because of potential tire wear issues and ride quality degradation.
PS: Not everyone needs or wants 8+" of ground clearance!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I just happened to park my CX5 next to a M3 and it's like they're twins, only the clearance is different. so it's hard to see why anybody would get a CX5 just to lower it. Also forgot there's a 2wd version of my car.
If I might add to the OP, maybe post mpg along with pix. does lowering improve airflow enough to notice.

Thanks guys. I just happened to park my CX5 next to a M3 and it's like they're twins, only the clearance is different. so it's hard to see why anybody would get a CX5 just to lower it. Also forgot there's a 2wd version of my car.
If I might add to the OP, maybe post mpg along with pix. does lowering improve airflow enough to notice.

I would get a CX5 just to lower it. Mazda designed it to be a good looking, fun, great handling, small SUV. I see only good things coming from lowering it. Better looks, better handling. Win Win!

I also would lower a cx5, to improve appearance and handling. We need something bigger than our current Mazda3 hatch.

hey at least the cx-5 has even gaps fron and rear from tire to fender...
my previous car(a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart) from the factory the front tire had about double the gap as the rear from tire to fender...it's very popular to lower them because the lowering springs actually raise the rear end about 1/2" and mainly stiffen the front, so it actually looks level instead of looking like it's taking off when parked...
also the rear suspension had lots of issues on the lancers and it ends up sagging very badly and makes it look slammed in the rear(almost flush with the tire, soemtimes actually the tire tucks into the fender a bit) and lifted in the front because it doesn't sag) if you don't replace it...so it looked very bad...

if i could afford it i'd lower mine...(im sure my wife won't be happy tho...lol), but i can't....i can bet it'd look better and handle better too

i'm very happy with all the interior room of the cx-5 i just got, but i think 8+" of ground clearance in a compact suv w/ a 2.0L is a bit overkill...it's not like we're going rock crawling or offroading...the cx-5 is a city slicker or suburban parent car...
why it's so high is beyond me...
but overall it does look very very nice, i must admit(hence i bought, one for the space and mpg)..
not to mention the fuel mileage is amazing...can't beat it unless you have a hybrid...
anythign else can't even shake a stick at it...barely even in it's general direction

Last edited:
20121227_080443_zpsca8ce482.jpg

20121227_080437_zpsacfab924.jpg

On 2WD H&R Springs.

Why would someone lower a CX-5? Probably smarter to just get a 3 instead
Why CX5? Because the rear legroom and other cargo capacity of the 3 is not enough, yet Mazda USA refuses to give us the sexy new Mazda6 wagon. Therefore: CX5.
Why Lower it? Because wheelgap looks bad, lower = slightly better aerodynamics, and also I don't need all that ground clearance.

Getting my lowering springs next month!

Why Lower it? Because wheelgap looks bad, lower = slightly better aerodynamics, and also I don't need all that ground clearance.

and likely better handling, since the lowering srpings also are stiffer than OE so you get less body roll(wich is also inherent in a vehicle that's not riding so high:D)

Answer: 1) CX-5 has better interior space utilization and rear seat legroom than 3.
2) 3 is a dated chassis, scheduled for replacement with a full SkyActiv design later this year
3) CX-5 design (especialy 2WD version) literally begs for less air space above wheels.
That said, after thorough deliberation, I have decided to forego use of H&R springs because of potential tire wear issues and ride quality degradation.
PS: Not everyone needs or wants 8+" of ground clearance!
kk
Lol, I just priced out a new car plan and I can get a Mazda 3 GT Tech/Leather for $1K more than a GS CX5.

Buy a car, ditch the truck... save money

Back