Future Maintenance Costs?

:
14 CX5 GT AWD - Tech
I am try to gather what my future scheduled maintenance expenses will be for the CX-5. On my current daily driver a 98 Vw Jetta TDI, it feels cheap to own until 5 year/60k timing belt maintenance comes around and you drop $1200(Dealer) $950(private shop) or $500(in parts and tools, and need to learn to do it yourself). of coarse this does not include any little surprises along the way.

I liked the CX-5 because that it has a lifetime timing chain, and is normally aspirated. What is looming on the CX-5 that is going to be that big scheduled maintenance cost down the road?

Last edited:
VW are notoriously bad at picking owners' pockets. Japanese cars are rarely as pricey to fix as a German.

There's really not that much they need:
https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/maint_schedules/2014_CX5_MS.pdf

That reminds me, I need to rotate my tires this weekend and I'm almost due for a cabin filter replacement.

Do you guys sell cabin filters and wiper blades? I only saw the engine air filter on the website. Also, just an FYI, the installation instructions link for the auto dimming rear view mirror actually links to the instructions for mudflap installation.

<333

I am try to gather what my future scheduled maintenance expenses will be for the CX-5. On my current daily driver a 98 Vw Jetta TDI, it feels cheap to own until 5 year/60k timing belt maintenance comes around and you drop $1200(Dealer) $950(private shop) or $500(in parts and tools, and need to learn to do it yourself). of coarse this does not include any little surprises along the way.

I liked the CX-5 because that it has a lifetime timing chain, and is normally aspirated. What is looming on the CX-5 that is going to be that big scheduled maintenance cost down the road?

I am kind of wondering the same things. My 2006 Hyundai had the timing belt break back in August (with 110k on the odometer), took 2 days to get repaired, I was REALLY lucky that I was going so slow when it broke so there was no further engine damage. While they say it is a lifetime timing chain what does that really mean in terms of miles? Anyone know what it would cost to replace if I needed to?

Another thing I had to spend money on with the Hyundai was replacing the ignition coils. The Mazda maintenance guide talks about replacing plugs and wires (of course) but nothing about ignition coils, are these items that typically do need to be replaced?

Last thing I am concerned about is the transmission, there is nothing in the guide about automatic transmission fluid being replaced. Ideally this car will last me a good 200k over the next 10 years (the hyundai I only kept for 5 years, but I hated the thing and the CX-5 was the first time I bought something that I spent months researching) and I want to make sure I do everything necessary to keep it happy.

Back