2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD HID Kit

edress714

:
Hello all,

Just got my 2014 CX-5 AWD GT but didn't get the Tech package. I have been reading online about the different HID kits and the projectors. I was thinking of ordering the following kits to make it as close as the stock HIDs. Is this what I would need? Thanks!

HID Kit
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3955

HID Projectors
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=236

Is this what I would need to get it working properly or can I just get the kit and put them on the Halogen lamps I have? Thanks!

if he changes out his projectors, he won't have the problem as shown in the video...but its not an easy process... you're going to have to open your headlights to do this and it will compromise the tightness and moisture. you might end up getting condensation.. further, making the projectors to fit the housing is not easy. so you really need to do your research and know what to do. there are retrofitters you can have do this, but thats not cheap either.

The guys at TRS are great to deal with. Matt is outstanding with his customer service. Retrofits with their HID kits and projectors are second to none. They stand by their products and most retrofits turn out to be OEM quality...if not better. I would contact them directly (Matt) or visit the HID forums to help you if you decide to retrofit. If you get just the HID kit, it's pretty much plug and play. Since you do already have projectors, the HID glare will not be as bad as if you were to stick them in a reflector-based unit.

you have projectors already, dont listen to the internet "experts" that say you need magical projectors blessed with pixie dust or your headlights will cause everyone else on the road to spontaneously combust.

just get a $40 4500k DDM kit and go.

yeah, why worry about reducing other drivers ability to see at night as long as it looks cool.

In every single before and after photo of HID installs with projector headlights looking at the car from the front there is clearly substantial glare shown in the after. And these are photos from 5 to 6 feet off the ground at 10 feet or less away from the vehicle. Drivers in oncoming cars are going to be much lower and at a much greater distance. So they will end up with much more light hitting them.

You get a couple of cars coming at you with that on a curvy back highway and it ain't fun.

It is much, much worse with non-projector headlights but it still isn't good even with projector ones.

Last edited:
Agreed. Not worth the hassle of changing out the projectors. Swap out the bulbs. Did this in a 07 Mazda 6 and didnt see much of an issue.

Jeff

Back