My dealer wants to buy back my 2013 CX-5

mobd

:
2013 CX5 - Touring with Tech
I was at my dealership yesterday for oil change and tire rotation. The general manager saw me with my Black 2013 CX-5 (11k miles) and asked me if he could buy it back. I said something to the effect of the fact that I only bought it in June and that I'm sure I'm upside down on it.

Long story short he offered me an unbelievable deal to buy mine back I can't remember the figures specifically but it was less than $1k from my original purchase price and then offered customer loyalty $500 and other perks to get me to go ahead and buy the 2014 GT model.

They knew that when I was originally searching I wanted the GT model because I wanted leather.

I kept asking questions and he said that if he makes my car a 'certified' used car and attaches a 100k mile powertrain warranty on it that he can sell it for top price because many people come in and will not look at new, only believe that they can get a better price on a used car.

If I do this I'd basically start over my payments...so lose the 5 months I've paid on this one and my payment would be about $13 a month more and I'd get the 2014 GT which is what I wanted in the beginning.

Am I not seeing something here? I don't trust this at all, sounds too good to be true.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

If you want the GT model (the bells and whistles in it) then check with a couple of more dealers around your area and go ahead. Assuming you would keep the car for at least 5 years, then you might want to get something that will put a smile on your face every time you see it rather than living with a regret (damn why did I not spend that little extra at that time to get the GT model).

the car is in high demand.... and its a good sign cx-5s are retaining their values.... I would go forward, just review everything before signing.. can always back out if it gets fishy

Dealer wants to get more used inventory and have another sell on the books, sounds like you could benefit from this but I would of course continue to skeptical still you see what is on paper and if it still sounds good in the end go for it and you will get the car you want.

Not knowing what your payments are I think it sounds like a good deal and you get what you wanted in the first place. If all you lose is $1500 in payments (just a guess) and add $13 for 60 months ($780) for a total of $2280 to move up a year which is worth $800 at invoice and get the GT which another $2000 give or take, how can you go wrong?

To many variables to know for sure (including interest rates, length of loan, etc.), sounds fishy. One thing for sure, the dealer will profit.

Nissan dealers (among others), at least in California, periodically send out solicitations to registered owners in their areas saying something to the effect that "Your Nissan fill in the blank is such a wonderful vehicle and in such short supply that we are able to offer you "the moon" and then some for yours! Won't you please stop by our dealership so that we can put you into a newer model for no additional monthly outlay?" I never paid much attention to these offers, but apparently some people do. This sounds like a more personal "one on one" version that saves the dealer a postage stamp! Always remember, "there ain't no such thing as a free (in this case) vehicle upgrade."

^ I get those as well. Will give you $8000 for your car (even though it is only worth $5000). Hey, car dealers are in the business of giving away money.

They'll sell you the Brooklyn bridge too for a dollar if you know what I mean and I'm sure you do.

Nissan dealers (among others), at least in California, periodically send out solicitations to registered owners in their areas saying something to the effect that "Your Nissan fill in the blank is such a wonderful vehicle and....

We've got a sign in the service drive saying "Our sales department wants to buy your car, ask for details". Car dealers are actually often hurting for good quality used cars, especially at a reasonable price. Our last GM would complain that carmax would be at all the auctions just buying everything and bidding up all the cars prices. They used to offer employees a finders fee if we recommended a car that they ended up buying. Of course they do want to buy them at a good price so they can resell them but it sounds like his dealer actually quoted him a good price for him already. So as long as there wasn't any monkey business with the numbers it might be a great deal. How's sales tax work there? In CA you still have to pay the tax on the full price of the new car, regardless of the trade-in value so that hurts here.

Back