Painted Calipers

jtl

:
CX-5 GT w/Tech
Who has done it and is it worth it. I thought on the white gt that I just purchased it may look kind of nice.

i have a black cx-5, and the calipers were so new and shiny silver. i didn't want something that would scream out loud and look too flashy. so i simply put some blue mazda decals on it and shot it with clear several coats.

Other than looks, what does it provide? It's a lot of work for no change in performance, I think it silly personally. It's a really cool CUV, not an AMG or a Lamborghini... But to each, his own.

Last edited:
It's good bonding time. If it makes you happy, go for it. I belong to a Mustang forum as well and a similar question was asked. One of the "all go, no show" responders likened painted calipers to a combover hairdew. The only person it is fooling is the one wearing it. I thought it was funny, though I don't necessarily agree. I like when people take pride in their ride.
What color?

A bit too flashy for me, I don't care for them to be painted personally but each to their own.

The thing is paint them now before they rust later. Even if its silver. I used an epoxy paint on my mazda3 and it kept them new looking through winters. If i werent so lazy now id do my cx5 too.

I did mine a gold color on my copper red hatch. Looked great with black wheels using epoxy based G2 caliper paint. $40 bucks gets you enough to do all four calipers.

I think it is only worthwhile after the calipers age, become caked in dust and grime or rust. Otherwise, the OE finish looks pretty good. If you don't use good paint, or don't apply it well, the paint doesn't hold up to age too nicely.
Also, I prefer subtle colors. Black and silver are good choices. I recently had the calipers off of my MS6 for a brake job. I figured I'd paint them, since they were looking a little ragged. But, Brakleen and a steel wire brush cleaned them up so well, I didn't bother.

One of the "all go, no show" responders likened painted calipers to a combover hairdew. The only person it is fooling is the one wearing it.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you are trying to fool people into thinking you have upgraded calipers then sure. But I think most people just do it for looks, in which case to each their own. On the same line of thought then it is the same to buy fancy wheels that aren't any lighter than the original wheels. There are pretty much unlimited 'upgrades' that do nothing for performance and are purely for appearance.
Now if you put a decal on the calipers that tries to make it look like they are upgrades then that is just sad.
I'm not for making one item on a car stand out so colorful calipers are our for me. I like more of an overall look to a car. But I have painted them black in the past when they get old looking.

Just finished painting mine. I think it turned out rather nicely.

1759d1082587642-painted-my-calipers-now-my-car-wont-stop-smells-funny-rotor.jpg

I know it looks funny because I took out the wheel studs but I didn't want to get paint on them. Imagine how stupid that would look.

I did mine red on a black Mazda3 hatch. I used the G2 2 part epoxy kit I got on ebay here. Plenty of colours available!

It really stands out, but since it's such a small part, not too much. It adds a nice contrast and a bit of colour to the wheel well.

It took me around 6 hours total to do all corners. I simply had to jack the car on stands, remove wheels, clean/scrub calipers, paint (5 coats each caliper) and let dry as long as possible.

It held up pretty well, even in winter with all the salt and nasty stuff we have in Quebec, but when mazda cleaned the calipers and the brake assembly (every year service plan), they chipped the finish and the paint. Although not so bad looking, it's not as neat as it was in the beginning (because of the cleaning by Mazda).

I most probably will do it on my CX-5 (which I will get next winter), just don't know what colour yet!

Zeal Red with red Calipers

I like the look and went with red....note this is also with my winter wheels.

IMG_5107.jpgIMG_5108.jpgIMG_5106.jpg

Back