Roof rack and wind noise

darekd

:
2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Sky Blue
Local dealer has a model and color that I want but it comes with a roof rack. Does it generate any wind noise (highway speed)? Any chances that it might affect mileage?

There is no doubt it will make more noise and alter mileage.

Anything that alters the normal airflow will do both of those things.

+1 Both the cross bars and ski rack are easily removed from the car. If you don't want the ski racks there is absolutely no reason to pay for them. They are a simple dealer accessory. The car wasn't delivered with so the dealer can take them off.

Any chances that it might affect mileage?

Hardly, your driving style and terrain will have more effect than these. Hell opening a window would probably be worse, those things are pretty aero looking and low to the surface that I can't imagine them reducing the overall drag on the car that measurably as to make a noticable difference in mileage. Now put something up there and you have another thing coming...

Any chances that it might affect mileage?

There is no doubt that roof racks lower fuel economy. More drag equals more hp required to maintain speed which equals more fuel consumption (especially at freeway speeds). The extra weight up high does not help handling (or city mpg).

I wanted side rails on mine. None on any car on the lots of dealers in our area. Tried to talk the salesman into throwing them in. He said they could only provide the complete rack with crossbars and not just the side rails (even though the side rails alone are a port installed option). Invoice for the side rails as a PIO is $200. You can buy them online for $295. They wanted $500 to install them at the dealer and then said that they didn't recommend it because of wind noise and reduced gas mileage. Sorry, I want to use this vehicle as an SUV - kayaks, gear, etc. on the roof. I'll be installing the side rails myself with Thule crossbars.

Looks like a real easy install. I am interested in what the original black rail pieces cost on there own. I would probably only use the roof rack twice a year with a cargo basket and would consider removing the whole roof rack completely in between uses, putting the original strips back on in between.

Back