Mazda has highest MPG relative to EPA ratings in industry according to CR

my guess is Mazda builds the cars for the driving, not the testing. The other guys either fudge their numbers or tune and gear the car just for the tests.

Our 2002 P5 was rated on the window sticker at 25/30 27 average. The updated ratings make it 22/28 24 average. If I absolutely flogged the car I would get 25 and that was tons of full throttle time on back roads and 85 mph on the freeway. On one freeway trip where we spent a good half hour idling with the AC on it got 31 mpg which is better than even the original claim for hwy.

Trevor
Mazda Accessories

Excellent news. But note that Consumer Reports didn't issue the study nor do they stand behind it. Hyundai claims all of the data came from CR.

It is depressing to look at which companies are the worst. Only 5 companies are below the overall average: Chrysler, Chevrolet, Buick, Ford and at the very bottom, Dodge. The American companies bringing up the rear again.

Does the EPA test the vehicles themselves or do they just take the automakers word for it? Seems that if they were truly independently tested, we wouldn't see the errors for American companies. Seems suspicious.

Last edited:
Does the EPA test the vehicles themselves or do they just take the automakers word for it? Seems that if they were truly indepently tested, we wouldn't see the errors for American companies. Seems suspicious.

From the US Dept of Energy: "EPA estimates are based on laboratory tests conducted by manufacturers according to federal regulations. EPA re-tests about 10% of vehicle models to confirm manufacturer's results."

It would be interesting to see exactly what publicly available CR "data" Hyundai used to come up with their "claim". Data can be used a lot of ways and if Hyundai says it is publically available and that anyone can replicate it, they should publicize exactly what data they used. I'm sure the were looking to find any data they could which would make it mitigate the seriousness of their admitted misreporting or fuel economy though.

The EPA tests are with a very specific profile. I'm not sure what "real world" data Hyundai is supposedly quoting. In any case, it is nice seeing Mazda at the top.

Excellent news. But note that Consumer Reports didn't issue the study nor do they stand behind it. Hyundai claims all of the data came from CR.

It is depressing to look at which companies are the worst. Only 5 companies are below the overall average: Chrysler, Chevrolet, Buick, Ford and at the very bottom, Dodge. The American companies bringing up the rear again.

Good catch. Hyundai announced this based on CR's findings and CR denied any part of it. The positive is Mazda is #1. SKYACTIV is for real, but those of us who own a SKYACITV equipped Mazda know that.

Sad news is Hyundai is still trying to justify the fact they lied initially (A-Rod syndrome) and try and come out as a hero. If they spend half the time trying to innovate rather than spew useless rhetoric, they would be better off.

From the US Dept of Energy: "EPA estimates are based on laboratory tests conducted by manufacturers according to federal regulations. EPA re-tests about 10% of vehicle models to confirm manufacturer's results."

They should be testing Ford's recent hybrids.

Thumbs up for Mazda!

Back