Better to have paint protection film over entire hood or just first half?

Brad33

Banned
:
Mazda CX-5
Has anybody had paint protection film applied to the entire front hood or is it better to just do the front? I dont like seeing the line where it cuts off so i figure covering the whole hood will be less noticeable. ideas?

Has anybody had paint protection film applied to the entire front hood or is it better to just do the front? I dont like seeing the line where it cuts off so i figure covering the whole hood will be less noticeable. ideas?

Mazda suggests a 3 inch strip that goes straight down the center of the hood. The aerodynamics of the front end forces airflow over this section of the hood, and should direct all debris there.

My old Tiburon i had done. You could see a ghost line across the hood where the clear bra stopped. Mainly from dirt and water just collecting right along it. It wasnt hugely noticeable. But i always saw it cause i knew it was there. The stuff does make a huge difference though, and can even save your paint in a low speed accident as i found out.

A friend of mine who happens to be an artist came up with this innovative bra for the hood. I'll let the picture do all the talking. I highly recommend this for the CX-5 Brad. I'm no artist otherwise I would have done this the first day I brought the car home. Good luck buddy. I will contact him to see if he can give you the list of products he used and steps to apply.

doinitwrong_wm.jpg

I think wrapping the whole hood gives better protection, and you don't really see it at all. 3M VentureShield is the only product I know of that is available 60 inches wide. Wide enough to wrap any panel.

Buy it by the linear foot from these guys: www.nochip.com

f you keep your car clean, protecting the first 12-24" of the hood is adequate to stop most chips. The edge is only really visible if you let your car get dirty. They also have the pre-cut kits (made from 3M Scotchcal Paint Protection Film). They say you don't need a pattern for full panel wraps...

I just put the OEM hood protector on and I think it will work out fine, plus it looks good imo. I am putting on the film on the bumper this week-end. My experience on the hood has not been good. It is only a matter of time and the line will be very visible, especially on a white car.
John

I just put the OEM hood protector on and I think it will work out fine, plus it looks good imo. I am putting on the film on the bumper this week-end. My experience on the hood has not been good. It is only a matter of time and the line will be very visible, especially on a white car.
John

i've had the whole hood/bonnet done and front fender/bumper. the front bumper was a precut piece and does not cover all of the bumper.

most Paint Protection Film kits come up the hood about 18" Which should suffice to protect most of what you will encounter.
There are different levels of vinyl. 3M does make the Ventureshield like Mazda6 Canada mentioned above but sometimes it gives more of a matte look. There is also the 848 line of scotchgard which is only 48" but it's thicker and more robust to general road debris.
A professional installer will cover parts of the fenders as well. IMHO, it's worth every penny. I had it on a Civic and even after the Civic was stolen and crashed into a wall, the area that had the PPF was still somewhat protected.

I will guarantee that you do not get a matte look with the Ventureshield as I've applied it to my CX-5 half hood and full front bumper piece. Cannot even tell it's there.

But I agree, it is worth every penny. Has saved me from little rock chips a bunch of times already.

Back