Oil Change

Does anyone know the torque specs for the drain plug on a 2013?

Also, what oil are people using? Anyone done any testing?

The 2012 oil pan drain plug tightening torque is 27 N-m (20 ft-lb). I believe the engine is the same on the 2013. I am using Mobil 1 and have not done any testing.

i've been using pennzoil and purolator pureone filters. although the last two times i've had the dealer change the oil due to lack of time on my part.

I hand tighten and then a little more.
I use Mobile One Full Synthetic 5w20. (not to be confused with extended performance 15,000 mile synthetic)
I use the Mobile One extended performance filter.
I change every 5k.

I hand tighten and then a little more.
I use Mobile One Full Synthetic 5w20. (not to be confused with extended performance 15,000 mile synthetic)
I use the Mobile One extended performance filter.
I change every 5k.

That sounds like the procedure for tightening the oil filter, hand tighten and then 1/4 turn more. I think the original question was about the oil drain plug though, which probably needs more torque than the oil filter to prevent a leak. For years I've been using the Fumoto valve replacement for the drain plug on all our vehicles with great results. It certainly makes for quicker, cleaner oil changes for the DIYer. I've already bought one for the CX-9 to swap with the drain plug at the first oil change.

http://www.fumotousa.com/

Ive wanted a fumoto valve but it is expensive and I have mastered the art of the cx-9 split stream oil drain. I use a 3\8 inch socket wrench and tighten the oil drain plug firmly and no more.

I use mobile filter and synthetic oil. I do 6k miles before changes. Honestly I think I can put at least 10k before changing as I don't do constant on off driving.

Ive wanted a fumoto valve but it is expensive and I have mastered the art of the cx-9 split stream oil drain. I use a 3\8 inch socket wrench and tighten the oil drain plug firmly and no more.

Many have reported issues with the fumoto valve (incase other members are also considering buying these). I came across the following review and thought I would share with all.

"The fumoto drain valve threads into the oil pain and also extends through the hole. So when you open the valve, some oil always stays behind. Also, any of those carbon chips, metal chips will stay in your oil pan and not come through the fumoto valve (smaller opening)."

Latest posts

Back