What Accessories should I get for my incoming Mazda CX-5?

Brad33

Banned
:
Mazda CX-5
Hello all,

I am getting a new 2014 mazda cx5 GT soon and was wondering what accessories you all suggest? It comes with roof rails already. I am getting paint protection film for sure. I also want splash guards both front and rear and lastly a remote start. Can someone please inform me if the splash guards look good and are helpful? In terms of paint protection film I am having mazda install it factory before I pick up is it good quality? do you suggest only puting the film on the front end of the car? In terms of a remote start, mazda said they will install one, are remote starts safe for a car? is there any risk to it? you all think roof rails give it a nice look? thanks.

Read all of the posts on the forum regarding remote starts. Nothing good has yet to be said about the factory installed remote.

I put the front splash guards on mine so far and am happy with them. They do cut down on the big long streaks of dirt getting kicked up the door. There is still dirt there but not as much now with the guards in place.

I also like the cargo cover and the auto dimming mirror (if yours didn't come with it).

The body side moldings that others have installed are tempting.

everybody's accessory needs will be different and subjective.

for me, a few things that i felt i could use/need were:

oem
- for brevity, whatever comes with the tech package, although i don't use the stock rearview mirror.
- rear cargo privacy cover. it came with my vehicle and protects things from the sun and for anybody trying to peek inside. also serves as a sunshade when you sit there with the hatch open.
- the rubber cargo mat to keep things nice and clean and protected.
- touchup paint just in case. some argue it's not needed but for me better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

aftermarket
- scotchguard seats.
- clear bra to protect the paint finish. unlike dealerships, you can request different options like to get the full hood done with edges wrapped instead of a 1/3rd front coverage.
- aftermarket floor liners because they cover up more of the interior floor and are easier to clean. i opted for husky brand - refer to the discussion in that thread.
- a folding crate with wheels and a handle for storage and portability. i keep the headrests, quick detailer & rag, and other stuff there. it is bungee'd secure enough to the back and has a top cover. useful.
- a wide-angle rearview mirror that latches onto the existing one. it's not too wide in dimension so the visors can still flip down. i'm used to it since it's from my older/former vehicle.
- various little things like: cable management stick-ons for wires going from the usb/power from the console to my vent-mounted smartphone. i anchored them with e6000 glue. keeps cables organised.
- gutter guard + petscreen to protect the grille areas. see discussion threads on those.
- remote silicon cover for the key fob. i got them on ebay form a seller in thailand. keeps your fob from getting scratched by your keys in a keychain. fits well & no complaints.

later on, i'll be interested in trailer hitches so i can mount things in the back. roof mounting gets me worried that accidents can happen + gravity. plus it's more aerodynamic placing things like bicycles in the rear where it's easier to access & take on/off.

Splash guards look and work great. The front one is a little small. Get Weathertech floor liners, keeps the carpet new looking. You did not say what color CX5.

I have pondered this question myself for a couple of weeks and this is my list.
Clear Bra for the front bumper (DIY)
Clear Film for the rear bumper deck
Either Clear Bra for the hood or maybe the Hood Edge Protector that looks pretty nice.
All weather mats and cargo tray (included with the purchase)
Body Side Moldings
Door Sills, I ordered the ones on eBay. They were cheap and have a little better coverage imo than the oem ones.

I ordered the Touring FWD in Liquid Silver because the items included in the GT were not worth the money to me. I have a moon roof on my Passat and have used it less than a dozen times in 11 years of ownership. I rarely drive at night so the HID are of little value to me so no Tech package. I kind of like leather but if I decide I don't want the cloth interior I will put in Katzkin which I like better than oem leather.

Rear cargo cover is excellent design and works well.

Just look through the forum "threads" and you will not find one kind word about the factory remote. VIPER is working on an aftermarket remote that will not shut the engine down upon opening the door or require carrying two fobs. Looking at the "threads" will save me the time and space of repeating so much of what has been written so far.

Back