Windshield scratch repair

Jarpee28

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD 6AT w/ Tech
Sorry if mentioned previously but I couldn't find any threads by searching. So I've had my cx5 a little over a week and yesterday I was getting gas and decided to use the windshield squeegee to remove a smudge. All went well but when I flipped it over to use the actual rubber side, i didn't notice but it didn't have any rubber!!!! So the rough plastic was in contact with the windshield for about 2 inches and I'm pretty sure it left a very fine scratch. I'm really pissed!!!! Do you guys recommend a particular scratch repair kit or any home remedies so I can focus on the road again instead of that stupid scratch? Thanks.

Ummmm that sounds very odd. So the complete part was missing or was the squeegee piece not there? And you've been using the wipers in the time you've had it and didn't notice something was amiss?

Here's the deal, the only thing that will scratch glass in this scenario is dirt, grit or anything harder than glass. The plastic part will not do this in the least, unless the windshield is dirty with grime or grit. Clean the glass with proper cleaner and a micro-fiber towel and see if there is any scratches from this issue, then consider the possibilities.

Also any idea how something like that would go missing? Stolen off the street or a car park, or maybe it was never there to begin with and then you should take that up with the dealership???

he's talking about this missing the rubber part:
106.jpg

I'd also agree that plastic shouldn't scratch glass so hopefully there is just some plastic that rubbed off on the glass and it could be easily removed. If there was grit lodged in the plastic then it could scratch.

If it is actually scratched the only thing I have found that will remove very fine scratches from glass is:
http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-polish.html
I used it on my Z's windshield because after 40 years it had developed some pretty good scratch lines where the wipers go. It took awhile by hand but it did reduce them, leaving just the deeper ones. Now when driving towards the sun the windshield no longer lights up like it used to.
It is a very strong polish with Cerium Oxide so it is probably a good idea to follow their advise to test it in a small area first.

All the other polishes and compounds I tried didn't make any difference at all even when using a polisher and I've tried about a half dozen different ones including two others that were specifically for glass.

Trevor
Genuine Mazda CX-5 Accessories

Last edited:
Hahahaha yeah I need to improve my reading skills...

Given the poster hit the glass with the sponge side first that likely sopped the grit away, I'm betting the glass is fine. It's takes a good bit to scratch glass and a few swaths of raw plastic I don't think would do much. But we'll hear back from the OP hopefully.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't had a chance to clean it with anything other than spit and my finger yet but it looks like a very fine scratch to me. It does not catch my fingernail when I pass over it. What other info do you need?

Try cleaning it with denatured alcohol on the off chance the mark is just residue from the plastic. If that doesn't remove it and the glass is indeed scratched, I'd suggest going with HandA's suggestion and you will need to use a buffer to work out the scratch, as working it by hand will only wear you out and get little accomplished.

Steel wool, extra fine, I think it's #00 will get out minor scratches on glass (never use on paint!) You can even combine with toothpaste as some have suggested to leave your window minty fresh. I've used steel wool for both getting out minor scratches and getting out over spray (not on my CX-5, but my previous Honda) Apparently auto detailers do this all the time, or so I've been told.

Steel wool huh? Makes me a little nervous. Haha. Just left work and its dark so tomorrow I plan on using windex and a lot of elbow grease first to see if it is residue and then use toothpaste with a wash cloth or something to see what happens. Then if it is still there I guess steel wool before I buy a repair kit or something. I will post back with my results. If anyone has any ther ideas or support for previous ideas mentioned please post. Thanks.

I have tried a lot of things to remove scratches in my aquarium and nothing works very well but mine were deep enough to feel with a fingernail. Anything that is able to remove scratches is also able to do more damage. I once purchased some 3M pads that are made for polishing glass by going from coarse to very fine. I didn't get the scratch out but did manage to make the area I was working on dull, it was more noticeable than the original scratch. I don't advise using steel wool. A good quality glass polish may temporarily fill in a minor scratch so that it will not be noticeable. Good luck.

Just cleaned the area with windex and it is definitely a scratch. There may be a mild resistance running my fingernail over it. I tried toothpaste and unfortunately it is still there. I used Colgate total paste if that matters. Haha. I'm still leery about the steel wool but may try a scratch kit.

By any chance do you have full glass coverage on your auto insurance? If so, you can bring it to a windshield repair place and they will fix it without paying any deductible.

Back