Side Windows Deflectors and wind noise

At low speed wind noise is barely noticeable but at higher speed it can get on your nerves after a while.
Anyone know if the side windows deflectors, while closed, really help in wind noise reduction?

You are talking bout the stuck on aftermarket plastic things?

obviosuly, adding anything to the exterior of the car will adversely effect wind noise.

The car was designed in a wind tunnel by engineers,
the plastic sticker was designed by a redkneck who likes to smoke in the car and have a place to blow the smoke out.

Last edited:
I would think they'd only help when the windows are open (designed to help guide some of the air over the open window) and when they are closed might even add some more noise as it is a path change for the air.

It would be interesting to hear from someone that has them installed though as I get a noticeable amount of wind noise at freeway speeds from the upper side window area.

It would be interesting to hear from someone that has them installed though as I get a noticeable amount of wind noise at freeway speeds from the upper side window area.
That why i asked about it.
The deflector is covering the area the noise is coming from.

I'll wait a few days in case someone did the test else i might bite the bullet and order a set of deflector and see if the noise is affected by it or not.

You are talking bout the stuck on aftermarket plastic things?

obviosuly, adding anything to the exterior of the car will adversely effect wind noise.

The car was designed in a wind tunnel by engineers,
the plastic sticker was designed by a redkneck who likes to smoke in the car and have a place to blow the smoke out.

Lol (smoking rednecks, the smell alone...), yes millions were spent on wind tunnel aero testing by Mazda, and the last thing I'm going to stick on is plastic window visors.

Its those giant side mirrors making all that noise at highway speed, imo. As far as the "rain gaurds" are concerned, that was their design intent. So you could crack the window open and not get rained on. While your smoking i guess, lol.

My experience with these things is it depends on the design. If they stick to the outside and bulge out alot they are noisy and noisy when the window is cracked out and look terrible. The ones i have on my six now, i love. They tuck into the window and sit flush with the car. Looking at it head on you can't tell their there and make little visual difference from other angles. As you tell in the pics below, they're very subtle. They added no additional noise with the windows up. And after install, i found it to be much quieter with the window down a little bit making a huge difference in how much wind noise was generated while traveling. And fwiw, i'm not a redneck or a smoker.

I have the factory door visors and they sit almost flush to the door so I don't hear any extra noise at all and it does a good job keeping wind noise to a minimum with the windows cracked open.

I want as much air flow as possible in the SUMMER because I hate getting into a hot vehicle for 6 months. And if I prop open the sunroof, I expect rain. Anyone else have experience with these things? I don't smoke, I just sweat and steam.

I have the factory door visors and they sit almost flush to the door so I don't hear any extra noise at all and it does a good job keeping wind noise to a minimum with the windows cracked open.

Can you post some pictures of the visors on your car?

Back