2014 CX5 Auto Trans issue?

Decade84

:
2014 White CX-5 GT
Hello! I just purchased my 2014 CX-5 GT about 2 days ago. I love the CX5 and was happy to pick up one up as soon as the dealer pulled the one I wanted off the truck.

I am wondering if something I have noticed since taking it home is being experienced by others and might be normal. While driving it somestimes feels like the transmission "jerks" a little. It's not horrible but it is noticebale at times. I also noticed sometimes when leaving from a stopped position and giving gas the car feels like it jumps a couple gears right away?

Again this is nothing huge but if it is maybe a defect I would like to take the car in. I think that I might have noticed it once and so after I have been so focused on feeling for it that I am over-reacting about it bc when I stopped focusing on it I feel nothing :)

I know I have read some reviews saying the trans could be choppy at times b/c the gearing for the skyactiv?

I haven't noticed that on mine yet, but I haven't put many miles on it since yesterday. I'll keep an eye out though.

Yeah I think it might just be in my head but I am not sure. I didn't notice it on the 3 2013's I test drove OR even the one I bought when I took it out before signing the papers! Mine only has 80 miles on it also :) Grats on your purchase.

Hello! I just purchased my 2014 CX-5 GT about 2 days ago. I love the CX5 and was happy to pick up one up as soon as the dealer pulled the one I wanted off the truck.

I am wondering if something I have noticed since taking it home is being experienced by others and might be normal. While driving it somestimes feels like the transmission "jerks" a little. It's not horrible but it is noticebale at times. I also noticed sometimes when leaving from a stopped position and giving gas the car feels like it jumps a couple gears right away?

Again this is nothing huge but if it is maybe a defect I would like to take the car in. I think that I might have noticed it once and so after I have been so focused on feeling for it that I am over-reacting about it bc when I stopped focusing on it I feel nothing :)

I know I have read some reviews saying the trans could be choppy at times b/c the gearing for the skyactiv?

The stopped to gas "jerking" feeling is totally normal. It's the auto transmission locking (mainly the multi-plate clutch and torque converter)... a "fuel" saving feature.

The stopped to gas "jerking" feeling is totally normal. It's the auto transmission locking (mainly the multi-plate clutch and torque converter)... a "fuel" saving feature.

That's exactly what I was figuring this all was, I know the transmission was configured for optimal fuel savings.

Mine shifts very smoothly like the dsg. Test drive another cx 5 just to check if its normal for the 2014's.

The shifting is smooth. I think one of my first concerns was the feel when going from stop to giving gas.

I also noticed sometimes when leaving from a stopped position and giving gas the car feels like it jumps a couple gears right away?
The automatic is designed to get from 1st to 6th as quickly as possible while keeping the engine virtually just off idle; all in the pursuit of Obama's much-heralded 54.5 2025 CAFE goal. You can do one of two things to counter this. Either put your foot into it in full-auto mode, thus forcing the trans to shift later, or put it in manual mode and control the shifts yourself. You'll learn what works best in different situations and you'll find you need to anticipate a little more than with a traditional fluid drive slushbox to get the most out of this drivetrain.

So is it safe to say that the transmission feeling diff than traditional automatics is normal? Like I said it's nothing drastic just diff that what i'm used to from other automatics i've owned.

Anyone think that putting a 2.5L with 20% more torque mated to the same tranny as the 2.0L will cause any issues?

I also noticed sometimes when leaving from a stopped position and giving gas the car feels like it jumps a couple gears right away?
The automatic is designed to get from 1st to 6th as quickly as possible while keeping the engine virtually just off idle; all in the pursuit of Obama's much-heralded 54.5 2025 CAFE goal.

Wasn't 54.5MPG proposed in 2011 and just approved in 2012? I thought Skyactiv was first released in 2011?

Anyone think that putting a 2.5L with 20% more torque mated to the same tranny as the 2.0L will cause any issues?

I don't think so. Mazda had plans for the 2.5L engine even before the 2.0 came out. They must have designed the transmission to accommodate both engines.

I don't think so. Mazda had plans for the 2.5L engine even before the 2.0 came out. They must have designed the transmission to accommodate both engines.

I believe you're right and now that I think of it, the same tranny can be used but possibly a different torque converter to accommodate the increase in torque.

So is it safe to say that the transmission feeling diff than traditional automatics is normal? Like I said it's nothing drastic just diff that what i'm used to from other automatics i've owned.
Most definitely. Do a little research and you'll find out just how mechanically different the SkyActiv is from older type fluid drives autos. Chasing the same goals and just as revolutionary as a DSG or CVT, just different technological approaches.

Wasn't 54.5MPG proposed in 2011 and just approved in 2012? I thought Skyactiv was first released in 2011?
Oh, I don't know Dimcorner. Where are we on all this today? Seems like they change it on at least a monthly basis. It's all wishfull thinking anyway; designed to play hell with automotive design, dramatically increase the cost of automobiles and push us all into trains and back into the 19th century. Ain't it grand!?

The shifting is smooth. I think one of my first concerns was the feel when going from stop to giving gas.

In order to save gas the Sky auto goes to a netural state when the brakes are applied at stop. This is so the engine does not pull against the stalled tork converter at stop, also I4 can idle smoother and helps with I-stop when used. So, when you take your foot off the brake it changes to gear 1 as you move your foot to the gas. If you are driving with both feet (not recommended) or are quickly moving your foot from brake to gas you may be getting there before the transmission has fully engaged. Also, there is a "learning" process for the computer that controls the transmission to learn the tollerances in the specific transmission build, yours may not have been done properly off the line, but should learn itself after a few miles...

AHh well my mind has been put at ease. I guess I did not realize how different the skyactiv really was :) still loving the 2014 Cx5 :D

So then should the skyactiv trans feel diff compared to a traditional automatic?

Yes, it feels much better than a traditional slushbox. It has 6 close-ratio gears so the engine does not need to wind up before shifting to the next gear. It also locks up very quickly after each shift applying more power to the road with less wasted by slipping torque converters. Because of this it creates less heat. I really disliked the old school automatics as they felt very disconnected and required more $$ at the pump but modern automatics have me buying the automatic instead of manual shifts.

Mine is very smooth off the line as well as between each shift. If you floor it it holds each gear until the 6500 rpm redline and then (as you would expect) you will feel each shift more but it still hits each gear competently. I do not know what this initial "jerk" is that some people are experiencing. It could be the hill holder feature if it is only experienced on hills but I wouldn't really call that a "jerk". It is more similar to the feeling you get with a traditional automatic if you use your left foot to release the brake after you have given the engine a small amount of throttle to load the torque converter and prevent the car from rolling backwards before power is applied.

I think the transmission is to credit for the driving experience of the CX-5 and to some of it's efficiency advantage over competitors models. However, even modern non-Skyactiv transmissions have made great strides over conventional automatics. I have a pretty low opinion of anybody who thinks such technological advances are a bad thing. It reminds me of people who thought fuel injection was somehow inferior to carburated engines. I don't know anybody in real life who doesn't appreciate paying less at the fueling station or producing exhaust that is less toxic to humans. But some people just like to blame the President of the United States for everything they perceive is "wrong" with the world.

Back