Drove the 2014 today

jtl

:
CX-5 GT w/Tech
I have a 2014 Touring, FWD, liquid silver coming in by the end of Feb. I got a pretty good deal at a $$24559 before tax and registration. The car I drove was also a 2014 but the wrong color. It runs nice, I stepped on it a couple of times (only had 7 miles on it) and it had plenty of zip. They also gave me a $50 gift card and a couple of oil changes. I would like to skip the oil changes since dealer is not all the close to where I live and get something else in return. I am putting the deposit down tomorrow.

I also drove a 2014 FWD Touring with moon-roof with the 2.5L and a 2013 AWD Touring with the 2.0L back to back.
It did not feel all that different, though traffic did not allow me to do all I wanted. I could definitely feel the FWD vs. AWD difference on dry pavement.
For those who are on the fence with 2.0 vs 2.5, now is your chance to land a good deal on a 2013 model, though selection is limited.

I wanted to put in an order, which they said will take a month and a half, otherwise I'd need to settle for unwanted equipment. However, it fell through when I could not even build what I wanted because mazdausa.com site still only shows 2013 models. How silly. My wife said I should not go back there as she really did not like the internet sales person.

I am also looking at replacing the Yokohama Geolander with something with better snow traction. The sales person said they would not credit me for the Yokos. He also seemed to suggest I am better off not having the dealership install roof-rails. I guess I really need to order exactly what I want and have patience.

The 2.0 was OK but the 2.5 just seemed to be better. I am just comparing the feel when you floor it. I would think that once you were up to speed, say on the interstate, you would not notice a difference. I drove the 2.0 a month ago and the 2.5 today so who knows if my mind remembers the difference.

The 2.5L did not feel 'fast' and was only a little better than the 2.0L. The test drive was too short with too much traffic 'in the way'.
The 2L AWD felt better off the line because of the better traction, but 2.5L felt with a little more oomph.
I did notice the mirror shake, but only because I read about it in this forum :)

Glad to read some comparisons. I haven't 100% decided yet if I want to try to get a 2014 or a 2013. There are pros and cons of both, if the power for the 2.5L isn't that much more I might start leaning more towards the 2013. SCBS is a cool safety feature but something I could live without.

I also drove a 2014 FWD Touring with moon-roof with the 2.5L and a 2013 AWD Touring with the 2.0L back to back.
It did not feel all that different, though traffic did not allow me to do all I wanted. I could definitely feel the FWD vs. AWD difference on dry pavement.
For those who are on the fence with 2.0 vs 2.5, now is your chance to land a good deal on a 2013 model, though selection is limited.

I wanted to put in an order, which they said will take a month and a half, otherwise I'd need to settle for unwanted equipment. However, it fell through when I could not even build what I wanted because mazdausa.com site still only shows 2013 models. How silly. My wife said I should not go back there as she really did not like the internet sales person.

I am also looking at replacing the Yokohama Geolander with something with better snow traction. The sales person said they would not credit me for the Yokos. He also seemed to suggest I am better off not having the dealership install roof-rails. I guess I really need to order exactly what I want and have patience.

The dealership that I am purchasing from was very accommodating, I just wish it was a little closer for my "free oil changes". I may ask if they will just give me enough oil and filters to do it myself. They only have (4) 2014's in stock right now but more on the way. They offered to dealer trade for a liquid silver or I can put down a deposit and get one that is coming to them at the end of Feb. I am going to do the latter.

The power/speed issue is probably an non-issue considering neither engine option is going to make a big difference. Having said that my choice is based on the fact that a little more power is always good and 2014 is newer than 2013 and the small if any price difference is less than a model year of depreciation.

The dealership that I am purchasing from was very accommodating, I just wish it was a little closer for my "free oil changes". I may ask if they will just give me enough oil and filters to do it myself. They only have (4) 2014's in stock right now but more on the way. They offered to dealer trade for a liquid silver or I can put down a deposit and get one that is coming to them at the end of Feb. I am going to do the latter.

The power/speed issue is probably an non-issue considering neither engine option is going to make a big difference. Having said that my choice is based on the fact that a little more power is always good and 2014 is newer than 2013 and the small if any price difference is less than a model year of depreciation.

take into consideration of the type of oil as well. The oil required is a 0-20w synthetic which isn't cheap.

I wanted to put in an order, which they said will take a month and a half, otherwise I'd need to settle for unwanted equipment. However, it fell through when I could not even build what I wanted because mazdausa.com site still only shows 2013 models.

This is ridiculous. Never heard of a dealer not willing to take a deposit on a vehicle just because it wasn't on the companies website. I've left deposits on vehicles that I've wanted not even knowing what the final price was going to be but negotiated a price based on a certain dollar amount above/below invoice/msrp, whatever. As I've said before, typical stealership mentality in that they only want to sell you what they have and not what you want.

Good to hear the 2.5L provides a nice little uptick in usable power. The proof (for valid comparison purposes) will be when some of the better publications like C&D do instrumented testing so we can see differences in acceleration.

In CA it's not uncommon to not take a deposit for incoming cars without a valid VIN number.

I just drove a '13 CX-5 Touring FWD then a '14 6 auto so I thought it would be a relevant 'feeler' test. The CX-5 wasn't as bad as I recalled in the power dept. most of which probably due to it being the lighter FWD version vs the AWD I had driven previous and the rest being that I drove it pretty hard mostly in manual mode keeping the revs north of 3k. I 'liked' it but found the power to be just adequate and kinda buzzy up where the power is made. Also the headrest did annoy me and that mirror shake at highway speeds screams hey, I'm on a budget here pal! Then the 6...very nice ride and I was in the market for a family sedan it would be either this or the new Accord which has gotten rave reviews but I'm not. Car handles and rides really nice, I did want the driver seat to go down maybe another inch or so but headroom wasn't a particular issue. Power? Good, better, definitely more torquey but really not much different feeling- not as much as I thought under hard acceleration. Main upside is you don't have to drive it like you stole it to get some meaningful forward thrust so it is a significant upgrade without question, one the AWD CX-5s needed for my consideration. 20 more hp on the top end with a higher redline would still be welcomed. Bottom line- I think I'm still gonna want a little more juice with my AWD trucklet but we'll see. BTW Mazda- I'd like to be able to order heated seats and some form of auto climate control should really be standard on the Touring trim. I don't necessarily care about the latter but those old school dials just scream- hey I'm on a budget here pal! Oh and the sunroof should be one touch close too, no?

IIRC, the 2014 MZ6 in Touring trim offers dual climate. I wonder why it is not an option on the CX-5 Touring. It is the number one feature that makes me second guess my choice of the Touring trim (vs. GT).

Gas cost by the numbers: 2013 29 mpg vs 2014 27 mpg (combined FWD via EPA numbers) = about 7% difference. Driving 15,000 miles is 517 gallons @ 29mpg vs 555 gallons @ 27mpg. At $4/gallon that is a difference of $152. Or $1,520 over the 10 year span I own our typical car. Not taking into account the initial price difference between the model years. If you think the average cost of gas will be $5/gallon then the 10 year difference is $1,900. Worthy of consideration in your decision process.

IIRC, the 2014 MZ6 in Touring trim offers dual climate. I wonder why it is not an option on the CX-5 Touring. It is the number one feature that makes me second guess my choice of the Touring trim (vs. GT).

dual zone does come in handy when one person likes it warmer than the other. In the old days it was called a floor vent :)

thats odd. Most dealerships will happily take a nice large deposit for a 2015 PixieDust Unicorn GT.

Exactly why it's not worth squat, therefore no contractual obligation to hold anybody accountable. Why bother, no VIN/no deal/therefore no deposit necessary.

After driving the 2014 GT, I summarize it like this:
0-60mph: ~8 sec. to the 2013's ~9 sec.
1/4 mile: ~15.5 sec. to the 2013's 17 sec.
The 2014 GT will most likely suffer 1-2mpg from 2013s.
Pick your poison regarding these cons, and they're both very good CUVs.

Cheers!

Like wow, many here made similar estimates without even driving it.

Btw^how was the driving experience (2014 GT)?

After driving the 2014 GT, I summarize it like this:
0-60mph: ~8 sec. to the 2013's ~9 sec.
1/4 mile: ~15.5 sec. to the 2013's 17 sec.
The 2014 GT will most likely suffer 1-2mpg from 2013s.
Pick your poison regarding these cons, and they're both very good CUVs.

Cheers!

Gosh, 15.5 may be a little optimistic.

I'd guess more like a low 16.

The GT was nice and took it on the highway. Cruises nicely and suspension is taught-felt deep gashes on road, but that is what makes it handle good also. Much like the 2013 but with more oomph. Not sports car oomph, but there's is definitely more there.

Back