Poor gas mileage

HowardUK

:
CX-5 FWD TOURING
8 month old FWD Touring with over 7700 miles. City driving 5-6 days/week. Fill up weekly avg 172m/tank
Around town I am currently averaging 16.7MPG (per dash) which is down from a Sept high of 17.2MPG.
The dealer did not note anything of concern at my last oil change/inspection. However, after reading these fantastic mileage posts and, the main reason for owning this vehicle was FOR the fantastic gas mileage, I am, so far, very disappointed with my results. But, I am confident, that this situation can be rectified.

Have you ever reset your avg MPG count from tank to tank? or is the 16.7 for the whole 7,700 miles? it's unbelievable that the MPG can be that low. I am a very VERY aggressive driver of an AWD GT and the lowest I saw was around 25 MPG 50% city 50% highway

This ^ . Also, letting it idle for a long period of time will definitely kill your MPG. I am located in NYC, and I have no problem getting AT LEAST 28mpg mixed driving. That is with a the heaviest (fully loaded) CX-5 with AWD.

The 16.7 avg is for the entire 7700 plus miles, the majority of which is around NYC.
How do you reset the avg MPG? My tire pressure seems ok but I am considering replacing the air filter.

The 16.7 avg is for the entire 7700 plus miles, the majority of which is around NYC.
How do you reset the avg MPG? My tire pressure seems ok but I am considering replacing the air filter.

Press and hold the "middle" of the info button located in the steering wheel.

More stop than go in NYC traffic, often faster to walk.

What does it show as your AVERAGE SPEED on your dash?

I am getting really poor gas mileage too, but when I checked my average speed with mixed city and highway driving, the average speed is 29mph for me...

Any internal combustion engine vehicle will get poor gas mileage in the city. I only get like 20-25mpg if I'm in downtown Vancouver in my Mazda 3 and NYC is worse. Once I get out of the downtown core, I improve to 30mpg minimum.

Only hybrids and electric vehicles will get great mileage in the city.

Took a trip to Boston and was returning 30+mpg on the highway. It is only around town when the return is poor.

I have about 2000+ miles on mine. Maybe 5 tanks of gas. 100% rural driving. 24MPH avg posted.
At first I was getting 30.8MPG teetering to 30.9. It's almost a game trying to hit higher avg numbers. But then I saw it decrease to 30.7...to 30.6 down to now 30.4. I'm hoping it's just the cold weather here.
I'll probably wait til my first oil change to reset all the settings.
Or wait for the prevailing winds to increase, and then just go in that direction :)

I noticed a huge difference in avg mpg during sub 30 degrees temps. My regular mixed 35 mile trip at 10*f had its MPG reduced by 3mpg compared to the same trip made at 30+*f. It took about 15 miles of highway driving before I could easily hit 40+ Current MPG, which would be easily accessible right when I get on the highway when the temps are above freezing. I would say it has to do with intake air temp and oil viscosity when temps get severely cold. Not to mention, the car runs extremely rich when it is in the warm up process.

FWD Touring w/7800 miles.
After resetting the dash gauges and knocking out 33 city miles, I ended up with a very poor 14.1 mpg average.
My next plan of action will be to add more air to the tires and, on my next fill-up, up the octane to 91.
Will keep you posted.

Using 91 octane won't benefit it. Unless you previous fuel is of low quality mixture.

wow dude i've never seen numbers that low on a CX5. Do you have a lead foot or something? also whats your avg speed within the city? if you cruise at 35-40 mph you should average atleast 26 mpg. and saynotopistons is right. putting 91 in a 87 vehicle won't benefit it at all.

I wish mate. Not enough roads and too many lights. Although I will return to 87 on my next fill-up and be more aware of my driving style.

Poor Range showing

I just bought the Touring CX-5 1/26/2013. Since driving the car for about 75 miles this week, I've noticed the range display (to let you know how much gas remains) just lowers drastically. For instance, the distance between my work to Costco's gas station is just 3 miles. When I filled up the tank, it showed 376 miles left. When I drove to work, it went down to 366 (10 miles lost, really??) The mpg average is about 26.6. The car has over 11K miles on it (I bought the factor demo). What gives?

I apologize ahead of time if this post is showing up in the wrong thread. I wasn't able to figure out how to create a new post.

That's normal for any car with a trip computer. They all estimate range based upon the recent current mpg. It will vary widely depending upon the recent current mpg.

That's normal for any car with a trip computer. They all estimate range based upon the recent current mpg. It will vary widely depending upon the recent current mpg.

My old kia (rondo) the range only went down even if going down a long hill. The cx-5 range goes up and down!

Yeah, it moves all over on mine. Usually when I fill up it shows around 425 but if I get gas at the station off the road where it is 65 mph and have to stand on it to get get back out it will drop down to about 415 by the time I slow down. Then it will ease back up with more mellow driving.

When we were at the coast there was one section where it just kept climbing on me as we went along hwy1. It was all twisty and uphill and downhill but the range just kept going up. It was cool, I guess I got into it's 'zone' and it was happy :)

Sometimes I'll coast a long ways to a stop on a back road and the range will jump up by one or two but then as soon as I start out from the stop it will drop right back down. It is entertaining when the scenery is boring. My ongoing goal is to keep the range and the trip miles combined at 400 or better.

Trevor
Factory Mazda Accessories

Back