Towing with the Mazda CX-5

sxa

'23 CX-9 CE, '14 CX-5 Touring FWD, '16 CX-3 GT FWD
I am just curious if anyone else here has done any towing with the CX-5. Obviously there isn't much power, and I certainly wouldn't buy it if I was planning to want to really tow very much; however, I have considered over the years getting a Teardrop Travel Trailer (something like the "The Little Guy" http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/) looking at the weight of the trailers they seem to be within the safe towing limits of the CX-5.

Basically I am just curious if anyone here has done any towing their CX-5, I may never get a teardrop trailer, there is just something nice about knowing that if I did I would have a vehicle that could handle towing. But am I wrong about that? Can the CX-5 really handle pulling one?

I see those little trailers pretty frequently, they're made in the next town over from me. I've witnessed them towed by crossovers and even small cars, and with a weight of 940lb and tongue weight of 120lb way under the CX-5's 2000lb weight capacity.

I imagine it wouldn't affect the pulling power any more than having 4 adults and some cargo in the trunk would.

I see those little trailers pretty frequently, they're made in the next town over from me. I've witnessed them towed by crossovers and even small cars, and with a weight of 940lb and tongue weight of 120lb way under the CX-5's 2000lb weight capacity.

I imagine it wouldn't affect the pulling power any more than having 4 adults and some cargo in the trunk would.

Yeah, I don't forsee any issues, was just curious to hear actual towing experience with the CX-5. Obviously this is not what people buy the CX-5 for, but the ability to tow would be a nice "feature". The trailer I would likely get is the 5x10 Silver Shadow. It is 1080lbs with an 110lb tongue weight. Not sure what adding the Sink & Stove will add the weight but I imagine not a ton more.

I have 2013 2.0 Touring AWD. I installed a Drawtite Max-frame Class III hitch from e-trailer. http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Mazda/CX-5/2013/75748.html?vehicleid=2013308411 The class III is overkill, but I wanted the bigger hitch receptacle. I also use this nifty ball-switchable ball hitch: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned).

Anyway... I've towed a 1970s Apache Ramada camper, which weighs about 1800lbs and has a roughly 300lb tongue weight. I didn't have any problems with it, but I didn't go up any significant inclines. My gas mileage went from my usual 30-32 mpg on the highway to about 25mpg.

The backup camera is AWESOME for hooking up to a trailer by yourself. No more inexperienced chicks trying to get you lined up and stopped at the right place.

No more inexperienced chicks trying to get you lined up and stopped at the right place.

I don't have a back up camera (yet), and despite providing expert training, my wife still makes the most bizarre hand gestures as she provides hitching guidance.

Anyway, I too have a class III hitch and have towed my loaded utility trailer up over Shasta and the southern Cascades with no issues. I had the tongue weight around 120 lbs and the total trailer weight around 1500 lbs. With the manual tranny, I had to downshift on the steepest parts which lowered my mileage, but I was impressed with the overall performance.

IBasically I am just curious if anyone here has done any towing their CX-5, I may never get a teardrop trailer, there is just something nice about knowing that if I did I would have a vehicle that could handle towing. But am I wrong about that? Can the CX-5 really handle pulling one?

sxa,

I have a CX-5 and my wife and bought a 5 foot wide teardrop trailer in December. We bought it from the manufacture in Wisconsin and towed it home in central Illinois. The weather was poor, but we had no issues towing it 400 miles. I felt that I had enough power for my style of driving. I plan to tow it about 5000 miles per year.

Bob

sxa,

I have a CX-5 and my wife and bought a 5 foot wide teardrop trailer in December. We bought it from the manufacture in Wisconsin and towed it home in central Illinois. The weather was poor, but we had no issues towing it 400 miles. I felt that I had enough power for my style of driving. I plan to tow it about 5000 miles per year.

Bob

Thanks for the information. After driving the 2.5L CX-5 today I decided if I do get one it will be the 2.5L and after driving it I know it will have no issues towing a teardrop trailer.

I guess I haven't looked to see if we have leaf or coil springs in the back, but, if we have leaf springs in the back, you can take it to a "Spring Shop" and have them add a leaf. This will give it much better support back there, so, it doesn't squat in the back from the weight of the hitch.

I guess I haven't looked to see if we have leaf or coil springs in the back, but, if we have leaf springs in the back, you can take it to a "Spring Shop" and have them add a leaf. This will give it much better support back there, so, it doesn't squat in the back from the weight of the hitch.

lol..coils.. maybe the cx-150 will have leaf springs and a body on frame :p

Back