Oil change gasket?

:
Former 2013 CX-5 GT owner
I got my first oil change at mazda and there was a gasket on the invoice. What is this gasket? I assume the filter comes with the gasket already on the filter like all other filters in existence. The reason I ask is, I got my oil change from another shop yesterday. They got the oil and filter from mazda but there is no gasket on the invoice. I saw the guy oiling the filter gasket before installing it so I'm just wondering if anyone knows what this gasket is that mazda quotes on their oil change invoices?

Thanks.

Last edited:
No doubt referring to drain plug "gasket" (sealing ring) which dealer will change, but independent shop will reuse.

Oh yeah. Never thought of that. Ive never replaced the drain plug gasket on any car when doing my own changes. Seems kind of over kill to me to replace that at every change.
Thanks.

It isn't overkill if it's a crush washer like Nissan uses. But with Mazda's simple aluminum washer I agree.

it should be a very inexpensive item (list price on the Mazda one is $1.34) and even the aluminum ones flatten out so that they don't crush as much each time. Inexpensive insurance against a leak or having to over-tighten the plug when putting it back in. I like them because you can feel them crush a bit when you get it tight.

Last edited:
Honda charges about $0.25 for a aluminum drain plug gasket, but its rare to call it out on an invoice to the customer.

They use a crush washer on pretty much all of of their drain plugs, and on banjo bolts and other like items.
Should be aluminum, seeing as threading or pressing unlike metals is generally undesireable (oil pan is aluminum). Though, might expect copper on some of the other steel mating surfaces (banjo bolts).

AFAIK, it should be protocol for Mazda to replace that washer everytime the plug is pulled. If they are actually doing it, who knows. Typically, they won't charge, or you at least wont see it itemized for such a negligible item on your invoice. I believe my invoice itemizes "materials" or something, so perhaps it is lumper in there. Or maybe they're hurting for revenue? haha!

ciayu.jpg

Here is a photo of the washers for your reference. They are aluminum.

Mazda Part Number is 99564-1400.
Price was $1.12 each for me. A little bit pricey for this kind of thing, I think.

or if you order other stuff from your dealer, they might throw it in for free, my dealer gave me 8 of them no charge when I ordered other stuff.

Some manufacturer's use drain plugs with captive crush washers (the washer ID is slightly smaller than the major diameter on the plug thread) and thus the whole plug and washer must be replaced usually costing $3-4 each.

Back