CX racing custom ms6 FMIC

So im selling my CX racing custom ms6 FMIC.

Im about to sell the car so im bringing her back to stock! I will need the stock TMIC in exchange for the FMIC im selling plus $325.00. and shipping of course!

It comes with everything needed to do a direct swap. I did cut my crash bar for max efficiency but I have seen setups extremely similar to mine setup without cutting the crash bar.

Bar & Plate Intercooler 28x7x2.5 inch - Inlet and outlet sizes: 2.5 inch
CX racing BOV
2.25in Hot/Cold Piping
Couples to stock turbo and stock intake manifold
All T-Clamps, Screw Clamps and 4ply silicone couplings needed are included

This is one of the most efficient designs if not the most efficient design out there! I did all of the math/ engineering and the building myself and can assure anyone that it will add power and efficiency to your setup. It has worked perfectly on my car and can be setup in many different ways for blow through setups or regular upgrade situations. Keep in mind im not a professional shop with all the best tools so some of my cuts could use finishing but it will work perfectly as is.

My setup has been now duplicated by many on the forums and tested by many proving the power gains!

All of the cutting and test fitting has been done as its been on my car for about 4500 miles. The intercooler and piping are all in good shape and work perfectly. BOV pipe and BOV will be included. This setup can be run recirculated or open. Ill even send some extra piping and couplers so you can run the setup however you like! Please contact me for details or questions.

2012-07-30_12-20-02_518.jpg

2012-07-28_20-13-28_995.jpg

2012-07-28_19-05-20_768.jpg

2012-07-28_20-13-59_977.jpg

2012-07-28_20-14-16_377.jpg

photobucket-6038-1358620903928.jpg

photobucket-6093-1358620845595.jpg

COLLECTED DATA FOR DESIGN:

Stock TMIC

Core Size: 11 x 13 x 2 = 286

Air Inlet Size: 2 x (8 x 1.5 ducts) = 24
(Ducting mounted under hood)

DIY FMIC

Core Size: 22 x 7 x 2.5 = 385
(25.714 % Increase in core size over stock)

Air Inlet Size: 1 x (28 x 10) = 280
(Front Air dam 10X the contact area for air)

So as you can see even a budget DIY EBAY FMIC seems to be a WIN over the stock TMIC fo many reasons. The core size can be increased, along with the area in which air can travel to hit the IC, also heat soak (obviously). Now the qualtity of the parts im using is up in the air but i can always upgrade in the future to increase the efficiency of the setup. Also im hoping that Ill be able to keep my pipes cool enough to actually be utilizing that travel as additional cooling to the charged air by using heat wrap, tube blankets, turbo blanket, and i already have a vented hood that really keeps down ambient under the hood temps, especially in stop and go, or in the mountains. I also plan on directing and focusing the air still coming from the stock ducting system to cool the top pipe coming across the engine. Comments and concerns are welcome. I love working on cars and fabing things so Im sure i can tackle this, Im just excited to document it and see how it turns out!

Decided to start compiling some data..... please let me know if you have figures that suggest other wise. All of this is based off of information i have searched on the internet.....

Stock k04 @ 15.6 psi @ 5560 rpm cfm flow rate of 491 cfm
Stock k04 @ 19 Psi @ 5560 rpm cfm flow rate of 564 cfm
BNR stage 3 25% more efficient then stock which puts it at about 614 cfm

CXracing intercooler max cfm flow rate of 700 cfm

PIPING FLOW RATES-

2" piping
1.57 x 2 = 3.14 sq in
300 cfm = 156 mph = 0.20 mach
400 cfm = 208 mph = 0.27 mach
500 cfm = 261 mph = 0.34 mach
585 cfm max = 304 mph = 0.40 mach

2.25" piping
3.9740625 sq in = 1.98703125 x 2
300 cfm = 123 mph = 0.16 mach
400 cfm = 164 mph = 0.21 mach
500 cfm = 205 mph = 0.26 mach
600 cfm = 247 mph = 0.32 mach
700 cfm = 288 mph = 0.37 mach
740 cfm max = 304 mph = 0.40 mach

2.5" piping
4.90625 sq in = 2.453125 x 2
300 cfm = 100 mph = 0.13 mach
400 cfm = 133 mph = 0.17 mach
500 cfm = 166 mph = 0.21 mach
600 cfm = 200 mph = 0.26 mach
700 cfm = 233 mph = 0.30 mach
800 cfm = 266 mph = 0.34 mach
900 cfm = 300 mph = 0.39 mach
913 cfm max = 304 mph = 0.40 mach

*.4 Mach is the point at which air becomes turbulent and losses in efficiency start to occur exponentially. The key is to stay under that speed. You want to use the smallest piping possible that still flows enough to meet your needs. Larger than necessary piping increases lag time with no measurable gain

So if you look at my current setup of stock boost and turbo I should technically be running 2in piping for max inefficiency but the 2.25in piping is still in the GOOD range and will work for people running more then stock boost on the stock or upgraded turbo.

DESIGN- PIPE ROUTE AND ASSEMBLY

Turbo
2 to 2.25 Reducer 45 deg. Elbow Coupler
2.25 Pipe 30 deg. Bend + straight
2.25 Coupler
2.25 Straight Pipe
2.25 Coupler
2.25 Pipe 75 deg. Bend
2.25 Coupler
2.25 Pipe 45 deg. Bend + straight
2.25 Coupler
2.25 Pipe 75 Deg. Bend
2.25 to 2.5 Reducer Coupler
Intercooler
2.25 to 2.5 Reducer Coupler
2.25 Pipe 75 Deg. Bend
2.25- 45 Deg. Coupler
2.25 Pipe 30 Deg. Bend + Straight
2.25- 45 Deg. Coupler
2.25 BOV Flange Pipe
2.25 to 2.75 Reducer Coupler

Last edited:
Looks like a nice setup! I haven't done a lot of research into running a FMIC, but could this setup be done without having to cut into the crash bar (and maintain normal mountability of the bumper cover)?

yes it could you just may have to play around with it with the bumper off and may have to switch a few things around. There are several people now running my setup or very similar setup that way. Its all about the angle, if you angle the inter cooler and or lengthen the end pipes this could be accomplished without issues. I just liked the look and function.

I see you removed your washer fluid tank. Did you install a honda style one like others or are you just not running one? And would you need the stock tmic before removing this setup?

yes i did remove the tank, and no i did not because washer fluid isnt really something i ever used to be honest. And yes i would need the TMIC prior to taking off my FMIC :) also i have the fog light bezels custom cut for max air flow and cooling of the pipes and those are mated with after market projector low beams and will throw those in for an additional 100 with trade for stock inserts and fogs :) I have one person who is already interested and should know in a day or so weather that he is serious or not. If you think you are as well please let me know and ill get you on the list :)

HR springs $200
TWM stage 2 short shifter kit w/ trade stock unit $100
SLS test pipe aka race pipe $90
Gram Lights 57C 18"x7.5/Cooper SR3-A tires w/ trade of stock rims $500obo
Custom Vented Hood w/ trade of stock hood $200

werent all of these parts purchased from ebay for like 250? and you want 325 + tmic + shipping?

Yes all the parts were purchased for around that price and then built for the ms6. Its not the cx racing kit. Its a kit made from cxracing parts. Big difference. There are the costs for engineering and labor time to create the kit. Its a one off although a few over on msf have recreated the kit due to its high performance value and lack of lag over the "performance" kits already available. If you read my entire post you will learn the differences :) But more research and time was put into my it then in all of the kits available. Im an engineer and took extra time designing a low resistance, high efficiency FMIC kit.

Believe me I'm aware of the research you did. I followed closely on msf and that was the kit I am looking to create come spring. I was just making sure that was all the same components from your thread on msf. With all do respect I think I'll just be buying the parts separate from eBay as you did. As for the research, top notch man.

no problem man... as i intended for people to duplicate my efforts. Thats why i posted all of my work. :) I put in a lot of hard work on my particular kit and many will not be willing to follow my lead and make the kit for themselves. But i never intended on selling this kit, but now that im selling the car it just makes sense to part out first :) Good luck with your build I hope my threads are useful! :)

Yea you certainly went above and beyond with this set up. Come spring when I "attempt" a similar set up if not identical I will certainly be referring to your thread and although your selling the spee. d, if you intended to still be active on msf I may contact you with questions . Anywho glws man.

Kit is still for sale. Im also offering to trade my projector fog lights and custom modified bezels that work with the FMIC for just an extra 100 on top of the FMIC kit price. Meaning for 425 you can get the full FMIC system and new projector fogs and housings! Will consider all offers! hit me up guys!

i see you don't have a recirculating bov, will that piping allow it to be recirculating or is it to far away for a hose to reach the intake

The kit can be used with the bov on ther hot side or cold side. I found the hot side provided better performance and to make it recirculate you would just need a rad hose to go from bov to intake. 20$ max at hardware store or run open bov and tune it with a cobb ap. I have a lot of spare 2.25 piping i would send with the kit so i can be ran however the buyer likes.

Back