Driving on the freeway and ALL warning lights came on

cat49

:
cx-5 grand touring awd
Hi all,

This past Friday night (exactly two weeks after getting my cx-5), I had a very weird issue. I was driving on the freeway and suddenly ALL the warning lights came on and all the gauges stopped working (speedometer, etc.). The brake an power steering still worked, but felt a little stiffer than usual. I was able to pull off the freeway and get to a gas station parking lot, but I wasn't able to shut off the engine. Finally, after about 20 minutes, I held the ignition button down for about 20 seconds and the car finally turned off. When I turned it back on, just the check engine light was on, so I drove home. The next morning, I went to take it to the dealership and even the check engine light had gone off. It's been at the dealer since Saturday and they haven't been able to replicate the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? I googled it and found some people on other websites describing the exact same issue, but no one posted the cause or outcome.

If Mazda corporate doesn't tell the service department what to fix, they're just going to "keep the description of what happened on file" and just see if it happens again without actually doing anything, which doesn't leave me feeling good about my brand new ~$30,000 car.

Any advice? Just to give a little more background, I had just under 1k miles on the car at the time, the temperature was around 40 degrees and my gas range said I had around 20 miles before I needed gas.

I think the electronics in cars have outpaced the ability to diagnose them. Car and Drivers long term Volvo S60 had a problem where the final solution from the factory was to replace a ton of stuff in it:

"When our long-term Volvo S60 T6 played dead several times early in its life, necessitating a trip back to the brand’s U.S. headquarters in New Jersey for the installation of a new wiring harness and five fresh control modules, visions of lemons danced in our imagination. Thankfully, the frustrating electrical glitch was exorcised, and our S60 has hardly missed a beat during its last five months of faithful service. "

There has got to be a stored trouble code if there was a MIL. Did you get the car back already from your dealer?
How was the engine running during the 20 minutes at the gas station, when you were attemtping to power down?
Did the MILs remain illuminated? Did the gauges (speed/tach, etc.) ever perform a sweep? Did they start working again?

Sounds like a power system issue. Modern cars do crazy things when their power delivery isn't precise.

Back